Do You Like To Feel Welcome

barney

Guest Matt Male

I'm not sure what you are saying about the women requesting Motown and being ignored. Maybe Motown wasn't really right for the event. Are you saying a venue should change what it plays to make anyone and everyone welcome? What if they'd requested One Direction?

If any event is properly advertised music-wise and someone turns up expecting to hear something different and is disappointed I don't see that as the promoter or DJs fault. Everywhere isn't for everyone, that's why we have so many places to go. :)

I totally agree new people should be made to feel welcome. When I ran a little soul night I made a point of talking to anyone who turned up that I didn't know, but equally people who go anywhere should be prepared to fit in.

Social source share

I'm not sure what you are saying about the women requesting Motown and being ignored. Maybe Motown wasn't really right for the event. Are you saying a venue should change what it plays to make anyone and everyone welcome? What if they'd requested One Direction?

If any event is properly advertised music-wise and someone turns up expecting to hear something different and is disappointed I don't see that as the promoter or DJs fault. Everywhere isn't for everyone, that's why we have so many places to go. :)

I totally agree new people should be made to feel welcome. When I ran a little soul night I made a point of talking to anyone who turned up that I didn't know, but equally people who go anywhere should be prepared to fit in.

matt

am not saying venues should play anything out of what they would normally play but maybe if one of the organisers had come over and spoke to them they could have been accommodated , I talked to them myself and they were not ignorant wrt northern soul and motown and some motown was played ,,

• Helpful 1
Social source share

If anything I'd say the scene has been TOO welcoming in recent years, These days it seems more about the social side than the music.

so that's it then

we should all go out sip our bottles of water , and listen and dance to the music

you there at the back , no talking ,, :shhh:

• Helpful 3
Social source share

we have probably more non soulies than a lot of clubs..certainly in the south west and events I travel to further afield anyway..

agree a nice welcome goes a long way and we try to be that way whoever you are and however long you've been into this music..

when we notice first timers we always ASK them not to take there drinks on the dancefloor (incase they don't see all the signs!) and if we get requests for stuff that's isn't gonna get played there is a polite was of telling them..it seems to work..they have a good time,maybe start getting into the real deal and come back

ive spoke to some and it can be a bit intimidating almost when its obvious to them and every one else they are the only ones who don't know other people..know the tunes..know how to dance

even when we get the odd twat whos having a good time but showing off to his mates and being slightly annoying the softly approach of asking his mates to have a word normally works better than going over all bouncer like...but if needed that's plan b ;-)

I suppose its just cos we want everybody to just get on and enjoy it..life is really too short not to...or maybe nicci,john and myself are just old hippies at heart

dean

• Helpful 2
Social source share

The welcomes are mostly warm wherever we travel, but newbies and even people returning to this scene of ours must realise that we are all like minded people, it's who are and it's what defines us. We are proud to be so. A lot of people don,t get it and never will. Those that get it please stay and be embraced by all that is Northern Soul. Those that don,t then the 70's nights are where it's at for you. Enjoy. Flipping heck that's a bit deep for me on a Saturday. Ktf. Hugh

• Helpful 2
Social source share

The scenes always took in waifs & strays,think of some the characters over the years,you wouldn't want them let loose on everyday people with nothing in there lives.I'm still waiting for the cheque off the NHS for care in the community :lol:

But there seem to a train of thought that people who are just dipping there toe into the scene should be catered for on an equal footing or in some cases given preferential treatment when they should come & find out our ways & fit in accordingly.It isn’t an off the peg scene,it’s made to measure & you have to keep going back for frequent fittings until you find the correct size?If that's too much like hard work well off you trot & find something else to do with your time.

Cheers

Martyn

Yeah! I know one of these waifs and strays from over the East coast way :wicked:  always turning up all over the place! :P Luckily he brings the good lady along to take care of him!! :yes:  Any idea who it could be MARTYN :lol: Hope you're both keeping well ! Atb John. :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yeah! I know one of these waifs and strays from over the East coast way :wicked:  always turning up all over the place! :P Luckily he brings the good lady along to take care of him!! :yes:  Any idea who it could be MARTYN :lol: Hope you're both keeping well ! Atb John. :thumbsup:

John

You say the nicest things...........about our lass :lol:

I'd like to argue with you but I can't really :P 

Yes all good over here hope the same can be said for you & the boss :thumbsup:

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

I remember being at the Torch talking to a guy who was there for the first time.

he said to me " I thought they would have played more Motown stuff",

meanwhile Tell Me It Is Just a Rumour was banging out of the speakers.

kegsy

perhaps he was someone's mate that had been 'taken hostage' in the pub, given some filon and pointed towards the dancefloor for laughs. did that sort of thing happen there or was it far too scary a place for the 'non-believer'?  I ask because we very occasionally used to take a mate hostage and convince him to come with us to local niters like peterbrough or st.ives. in spite of them having a 'memorable' night on the doobs, they'd never venture back. they were much happier in "anabelles" trying to pull birds whilst dancing to andrea true connection or tina charles, I guess...

• Helpful 2
Social source share

The scenes always took in waifs & strays,think of some the characters over the years,you wouldn't want them let loose on everyday people with nothing in there lives.I'm still waiting for the cheque off the NHS for care in the community :lol:

But there seem to a train of thought that people who are just dipping there toe into the scene should be catered for on an equal footing or in some cases given preferential treatment when they should come & find out our ways & fit in accordingly.It isn’t an off the peg scene,it’s made to measure & you have to keep going back for frequent fittings until you find the correct size?If that's too much like hard work well off you trot & find something else to do with your time.

Cheers

Martyn

spot on
Social source share

piss poor attitude that kev

so people who want to go to different venues driving for miles expecting to have an enjoyable night, listen to good music and be made to feel welcome , should just pay their money put up and shut up, .

Hey it works both ways.What about the promoter who puts effort in all week,only to be ignored by folks and then get their venue slagged when it doesn't work out on the night for them.? Of course folks should feel welcome,but its not a necessity.What if the venue is too big.? Can the promoter find time to go to everyone.? 

Social source share

piss poor attitude that kev

so people who want to go to different venues driving for miles expecting to have an enjoyable night, listen to good music and be made to feel welcome , should just pay their money put up and shut up, .

Barney

Think Kev was a tad harsh but he also makes a good point of you've got to make an effort aswell,I've run a night & the early part of the night is quite fraught as you are worrying enough people are going to turn up,is the equipment working OK,has the guest dj turned up etc.So someone coming in sitting down out the way are easily missed.What I'm trying to say is you need to put yourself out there to get some reaction back,I'm not saying butt into conversations of people you don't know but a nod on the way in & a word at the bar helps break the ice?Then if you still feel frozen out you are able to make that comment because you tried.

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 2
Social source share

most of us are abit older and wiser than we were in the 70s and 80s .

as I have said there are a plethora of venues about ,some will say too many with a dwindling and aging set of punters ,

my post was aimed at promoters and dj,s.

realise its impossible at some of the bigger venues but I always like to be made and feel welcome ,

this is one of the plus points when attending any venue and if I don't feel welcome then I don't return simples ,

am no shrinking violet and will and do talk to anyone and we are always meeting new people and making friends

love it when I go to the north notts venues like the Grosvenor , blackhearts and Kingsway because we are always made to feel welcome ,

sorry I cant say this about some venues where we have been ignored to the point of being uncomfortable .

and shudder to think what I would feel if I were new to the scene ,

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Conversations are always cut off by me,or by my friends.When a record comes on you've got about 2.30 secs to get to it,you can always carry the conversation on later...but that moment on the floor may not come around for a while....its one place that sort of etiquette should be understood......

im with you on that but im not a promoter if you put a night on i think you should stay on the door

Edited by ste gal 7
Social source share

TBH I've travelled the length & breadth of the country since I was 15 & never felt out of place any where that I can think of, some places take a couple of nights before you feel like one of the crowd, but thats part of the fun, dont think I've been any where for years & not known some or most of the reprobates in attendance....when they play my kinda soul i feel welcome any where....its not Darby n Joan, its a f*ckin nighter with all the human flotsam & jetsom that they throw up, the good, the bad n the ugly, but we all generally get on when thrown together at a good nighter, the music brings you together......there are people I have nodded to for 20 years at Nighters & feel comfortable in thier presence, but TBH some of em I have no idea who they really are, other than they obviously like the same sort of soul as myself n thats good enough for me !!!.........the problem is the scene has this lovey dovey image, which isnt always true, I have met some of the best friends I will ever meet on this scene, folk who will stick by you no matter what, but there is, was n always will be a darker edgier side to the scene, which some cant admit to or cope with but sometimes adds a little excitment to the proceedings !!!

Best Russ

Social source share

Conversations are always cut off by me,or by my friends.When a record comes on you've got about 2.30 secs to get to it,you can always carry the conversation on later...but that moment on the floor may not come around for a while....its one place that sort of etiquette should be understood......

Dead right Kev,might seem ignorant  to some that don't know 

Bazza   :hatsoff2:

Oh ,and if my head is out on the floor,no point in talking to me ,cos I can't hear you anyway  :ohmy:

Edited by Bazza
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Struth, I do wonder how some souls would have coped at Nighters in the 80s.

Exactly mate, fooking hell they'd have had a nervous breakdown in five minutes with the relentless piss taking of Tommo and others. It's a teddy bear's picnic these days compared to the intensity of the 80s nighters.

I'm going to start calling people 'goose' again when they can't name artist, title, run out groove width and name of chief sound engineer. :wicked:

Social source share

Exactly mate, fooking hell they'd have had a nervous breakdown in five minutes with the relentless piss taking of Tommo and others. It's a teddy bear's picnic these days compared to the intensity of the 80s nighters.

I'm going to start calling people 'goose' again when they can't name artist, title, run out groove width and name of chief sound engineer. :wicked:

I cant remember me own name after being in a Nighter ten minutes..... :D

Russ

• Helpful 2
Social source share

the 80s are long gone its a different time now and if you had goosed me I would probably have twatted  you then , :yes:  :hatsoff2:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

the 80s are long gone its a different time now and if you had goosed me I would probably have twatted  you then , :yes:  :hatsoff2:

Yes it is a different time now, we're all grown up and we shouldn't need a welcoming committee. Personally I can't see what there is to moan about.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!