Records Lost In Post

Peter99

HI All

I think this is in the right place - please feel free to move if not.

Anyway, a bit of a daft question this but .................

I've started buying a few bits again - from all over the place. I bought a couple from the states recently and they just haven't arrived - I think they have got lost in the post. I had notification from the sellers that they were shipped a while ago and have no resason to doubt that they weren't. They weren't expensive records so I've just accepted the loss, informed the seller out of courtesy, and then left them good feedback.

That seems the right thing to do to me.

Has anyone any views or thoughts?

Thanks

Peter

:thumbsup:

Social source share

HI All

I've started buying a few bits again - from all over the place. I bought a couple from the states recently and they just haven't arrived - I think they have got lost in the post. I had notification from the sellers that they were shipped a while ago and have no resason to doubt that they weren't. They weren't expensive records so I've just accepted the loss, informed the seller out of courtesy, and then left them good feedback.

Thanks

Peter

One maybe - but two going missing in the short space of time?  Unlikely!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

It's a mine field innit. That's why I only buy cheap stuff!

Seen all sorts of disputes on here before about missing records and the like.

Peter

Slightly different subject, I once bought a phone on Ebay, sent it back because it wasn't as described (Chinese fake). It went mysteriously missing. Lost every penny of sixty odd quid.  

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I've only ever had one missing record that came from the u.s and that was about £40 ( I know not a lot ). And bless the seller he gave me a full refund. It probably only cost him a few dollars but still a nice touch, suppose I've been lucky as I've bought stuff that's fairly expensive from over there and not been charged tax! (Another subject altogether!! ).........Rob

• Helpful 1
Social source share

On 8/19 I paid for 3 LP's won on ebay (one parcel). One month later no parcel, so I put a claim with ebay. Then yesterday with PayPal (I had until 10/14 for this)

This morning I finally got the parcel, coming from Brazil !

Recently a seller from Pittsburgh had 5 parcels lost (one was for me).

Until this year all the parcels coming from U.S.A. arrived safely and without any delay. I'm afraid US Postal Service is not what it used to be...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

HI All

Thanks

Peter

Is it possible they've been held up in customs???

The limit is now so low even cheap items attract duty.

Always seems to take forever to process em once duty is deemed payable.

Social source share

I don't know mate - maybe. Never had this sort of delay/interest from customs before.

Maybe they'll show up. I've found and bought alternatives now so may end up with two copies of each!

Peter

Social source share

It must be pot luck with customs,been stung before for nearly £17 on a £45 purchase,just bought a record via discogs from the states and arrived without a hiccup in six days,record was $120,no logic to it.  

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I think you've been very unlucky to have had two records lost in the post. Waiting for expensive records from overseas can be a worrying business, I always breath a big sigh of relief when they eventually arrive! In my experience, 45s from the USA to the UK arrive between seven and ten days after posting. 'Lost' items have to end up somewhere - I posted a reggae 45 to a guy in Germany last year, he contacted me a fortnight after I'd posted it to tell me that he hadn't received it, so I gave him a full refund. Several months later it came back through my letterbox, it had been opened at some point and the package had numerous postmarks from all over Europe on it. It must have travelled thousands of miles in all that time.

Don''t give up hope, your records may still turn up.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I've brought hundreds off eBay discogs etc and have only had 2 records go missing ,one from up north and he gave me his stock copy from own collection£50,said he'd had about 5 records go missing and reckoned it was one of the posties, no reason to disbelieve him as I'd brought off him before very reliable,and one from Germany only a pressing,but all in all very lucky but would I sell on eBay ? I'm scared shitless, I'd only sell in uk but not sure as I have not much faith it's all those scary soul source stories

Social source share

if they were sent from the US recently they should include tracking. asks for the tracking number from the receipt, which is the same as the customs number. even better, ask for a scan of the receipt.

Boba, the seller gave me the tracking number, but this numbrer just indicated that the parcel has left the U.S.A., nothing more.

Social source share

Boba, the seller gave me the tracking number, but this numbrer just indicated that the parcel has left the U.S.A., nothing more.

how long ago was the date it said they left the USA? did you also try putting the tracking into the UK royal post site?

Social source share

I have an internet business which has nothing to do with records.

We sell only in the UK and lose about 1% of all items sent. I have an account with the post office and when I bring this up with my accounts manager they think that 1% losses is quite acceptable and the norm.

Social source share

We sell only in the UK and lose about 1% of all items sent. I have an account with the post office and when I bring this up with my accounts manager they think that 1% losses is quite acceptable and the norm.

Perhaps they`ll achieve 100% now it`s privatised... :wink:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest uroffal

Interesting thread, I've only ever had one item not arrive and only one sent that was 'lost' (not a record and am suspicious about the honesty of the purchaser). However, as mentioned on another thread my brother sells old Nintendo games on eBay and in 6 years has only ever had one item go missing ... until this month when 5 have!

Social source share

how long ago was the date it said they left the USA? did you also try putting the tracking into the UK royal post site?

I edited the message but I think it was two or three days after the seller sent it. For any reason the parcel went to Brazil (???) but finally I got it, so all is well...

Boba, I'm not from U.K. but from France and the Post-Ofice couldn't do nothing. And the parcel was not registered.

During more than 25 years all my parcels arrived safely, except the one from Pittsburgh previously cited. But this time I was not alone, so the fault must come from Pittsburgh Post-Office.

Social source share

I edited the message but I think it was two or three days after the seller sent it. For any reason the parcel went to Brazil (???) but finally I got it, so all is well...

Boba, I'm not from U.K. but from France and the Post-Ofice couldn't do nothing. And the parcel was not registered.

During more than 25 years all my parcels arrived safely, except the one from Pittsburgh previously cited. But this time I was not alone, so the fault must come from Pittsburgh Post-Office.

tracking is supposedly implemented for first class international, you don't need it registered. not saying it actually works, just letting you know.

Social source share

Same here -- I work for an internet based company and we ship about 1200 parcels a day worldwide -- and we probably end up refunding for about 0.5 - 1.0% of them for "lost in post"...

Social source share

:D

Hi Mate

Hope yer ok.

The record which arrived today was "Anyway The Wind Blow" - it was obviously blowing the fecking wrong way! :rofl:

Peter

What , Syl Johnson ? t'other side of 'We Did It' ??? :lol:

Fine mate , off on the piss in London tomorrow with the Gaffer and some customers at an awards do , bring it on!!

Take care

Swifty :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

HI All

Thanks

Peter

I bought a record from the states was about 3 weeks later I thought that should be here by now! no sign went on and used the tracker turns out it was in Washington the took about 4 days for it to finally show up

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!