Ambassadors Boot On Ebay £56

Pete S

This really does my head in, seller prides themselves on "40 years of selling rare soul" but is unable to tell potential customers that the record they are bidding on is a bootleg.  Yes I know people should do their own research but is it really hard to write "2nd issue"?  

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ambassadors-Too-Much-Of-A-Good-Thing-HUGE-OLDIE-Northern-Soul-Vinyl-45-HEAR-/200970755517?pt=UK_Records&hash=item2ecaca5dbd

• Helpful 1
Social source share

This really does my head in, seller prides themselves on "40 years of selling rare soul" but is unable to tell potential customers that the record they are bidding on is a bootleg.  Yes I know people should do their own research but is it really hard to write "2nd issue"?  

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ambassadors-Too-Much-Of-A-Good-Thing-HUGE-OLDIE-Northern-Soul-Vinyl-45-HEAR-/200970755517?pt=UK_Records&hash=item2ecaca5dbd

Hi Pete

It's blatant deception in my book which I have said before. Might post a quesyion asking if it's a boot.

Peter

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Be interesting to see what reply you get.  Original is pale blue.

Now at £62

Well here's my 'acting the innocent' question, the reply and a response:

Great tune - thanks for the soundclip. How would you describe this - original? 2nd issue? bootleg? As it had a decent start price I was hoping it might be an original.

- Kev

I am not an authority on this particular 45 I am afraid. I can say it came out of a collection not seen the light of day in over 35 years and one identical sold for $108.60 on Feb 15th according to an old listing.

Hmmm, but you know it's a 'huge oldie' and you've been selling soul vinyl for 40yrs?  It's a bootleg so you must be hoping to have someone over by not alluding to that and by refusing to acknowledge it when questioned.

- Kev

I don't expect to see the question retained on his listing though. Then again, it's not a huge price so maybe the bidders know what it is and have more money than sense. Stranger things have happened.  For £60 profit I might try and locate my boot copy.

:hatsoff2: - Kev

Edited by KevinKent
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Now at £62

Great tune - thanks for the soundclip. How would you describe this - original? 2nd issue? bootleg? As it had a decent start price I was hoping it might be an original.

- Kev

I am not an authority on this particular 45 I am afraid. I can say it came out of a collection not seen the light of day in over 35 years and one identical sold for $108.60 on Feb 15th according to an old listing.

Hmmm, but you know it's a 'huge oldie' and you've been selling soul vinyl for 40yrs?  It's a bootleg so you must be hoping to have someone over by not alluding to that and by refusing to acknowledge it when questioned.

- Kev

I don't expect to see the question retained on his listing though. Then again, it's not a huge price so maybe the bidders know what it is and have more money than sense. Stranger things have happened.  For £60 profit I might try and locate my boot copy.

Nice one Kev.

Not had a reply to my question yet. They're obviously just another cheating bastard.

Peter

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Now at £62

- Kev

- Kev

:huh:  :huh:  :huh:  :huh: He also had a Voices Of East harlem boot listed  as 'bell sound stamped' - its still a bootleg though but some people might be conned, not out and out deception but running that close line in between where he can say "i never claimed it was original"

Edited by Steve L
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

That guy knew exactly what he was doing

I asked him if his copy of Detroit Soul was an original with the Frankford & Wayne stamp - his reply was that he was away from home but if it did have the stamp he would have mentioned it in the listing

Like others have said he knew it wasn't an original copy and should have stated that in his listing

Social source share

Ebay policy is strict on selling bootlegs. Once I did send as a question to a British sellert that the copy of a northern soul oldie record he had put on auction was a bootleg. His description was not mentioning anything about it, making it very difficult even for the expert eye to tell it appart. After that he replied to me in an anoying tone because Ebay intercepted my message and understood that he was indeed selling a bootleg and so cancelled his auction. Maybe those auctions should be reported IF they do not clearly specify that it is not the real deal they are offering.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Ebay policy is strict on selling bootlegs. Once I did send as a question to a British sellert that the copy of a northern soul oldie record he had put on auction was a bootleg. His description was not mentioning anything about it, making it very difficult even for the expert eye to tell it appart. After that he replied to me in an anoying tone because Ebay intercepted my message and understood that he was indeed selling a bootleg and so cancelled his auction. Maybe those auctions should be reported IF they do not clearly specify that it is not the real deal they are offering.

Reported a few on ebay - mostly those that seem to set up a label and have a cottage industry going. Nothing happened as far as I know.  Even seen one openly listed as a boot and it wasn't cancelled.

Ebay might have rules but they seldom enforce them, particularly when it's not to their advantage.

Social source share

Now at £62

- Kev

- Kev

I asked him the same question last week (about the Detroit Soul) and got the same reply about him not being an authority on that particular record.

Having now seen this post i have just messaged him back asking for him to state that he can't guarantee it's originality on his advert. (I won't hold my breath)

In the meantime if enough people on here asks him a similar question maybe he can be shamed into being a bit more straight forward/ forthcoming with his adverts? :g:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Reported a few on ebay - mostly those that seem to set up a label and have a cottage industry going. Nothing happened as far as I know.  Even seen one openly listed as a boot and it wasn't cancelled.

Ebay might have rules but they seldom enforce them, particularly when it's not to their advantage.

Yeah, well this might be true (Ebay's advantages... also who's in charge behind the "red button" there and then willing to take a stand...) but I should believe that if they get multiple reports on the same item, it might "force" them to cancel the auction. But this, might take too much effort for in fact little results in the end. So I guess you're right.

Social source share

He just posted me the same reply "I'm not an authority blah, blah, blah".

I've just posted him back saying he's a fcuking crook.

Peter

I also told him it was in fact a boot and that I knew that he'd sold others - see what comes back from that!

:wink:

By the time he'd replied to you I'd already told him it was a boot, so no excuse for pleading ignorance. What a tosser!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Absolutely spot on. This dealer calls himself mainly45's when he would be more precise to style his enterprise mainlyboots... Personally, I think these should be kept off ebay as they ruin things for the genuine collector. As for auctioning bootlegs, that is a dubious practice anyway: when the items are imprecisely described and deceive potential buyers, the seller's ethics have to be questioned. I would never buy from anyone who set their stall out like the one under debate. No objection to sellers at soul nights flogging old boots - best place for them to sell with minimum controversy.
Social source share

Christ, Ive inadvertently bough a cheapie off him, Mike McDonald - God Knows / Interplay - Derek and Ray, cost a fiver which I was happy with.. its a orange RCA, which I obviously knew was not first issue, but am I right, RCA did put that coupling out? cause if its an outright boot, I'll send it back..

M

Social source share

Christ, Ive inadvertently bough a cheapie off him, Mike McDonald - God Knows / Interplay - Derek and Ray, cost a fiver which I was happy with.. its a orange RCA, which I obviously knew was not first issue, but am I right, RCA did put that coupling out? cause if its an outright boot, I'll send it back..

M

Think that's a legit UK re-issue Mal  :thumbsup:

Social source share

M

Boot I reckon - but I know feck all.

Edited by Peter99
Social source share

I recently bought a boot of Dana Valery YDKWYIL - on Pussycat for a mate who's been bugging me for ages to get him one (Honest  :lol: ) anyway found one £4.99 and bugger me it's a boot of the boot  :huh: won't make any difference to him but bloody hell eh?

Swifty :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!