Lenny Henry Film

Guest drewid

Does anyone remember the film with Lenny Henry as leading role, think it was called "Coast to Coast" and in one scene i seem to recall him visiting a allnighter/ soul nite. Think Lenny had a ice cream van and was being hassled by some gangsters . Can't find no trace of it, Wondered if I'd dreamt it or it was something I'd had, so does anyone recall said film it was back in the mid 80s I think!

Edited by drewid
Social source share

Yep Lenny Henry & John Shea ,load of tripe got a dodgy DVD copy of a VHS video some where

Bazza :hatsoff2:

ha ha how memories get distorted , it being tripe , doesn't surprise me .
Social source share

yes mate you didnt dream it,,, got it on vhs somewhere.mid 80s i think ...someone will have a link on soulsource :yes:

ill look out for a link ,thanks for confirming my curiosity although I don't think it'd win any oscars lol
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

The full thing is on YouTube. I remember when it was on. Lenny Henry with a terrible scouse accent.

Wasn't it an old people's home, not a soul night. :lol:

Social source share

I can supply this if you can't find it anywhere else. It's really good actually.

ok might be worth a look at again Pete , just with the film thing being in vogue at the mo it reminded me of it
Social source share

Last time this was mentioned I ended up doing over 30 copies FREE for members and losing money, I think maybe 4 people said thanks  :lol:

anyway I'm not making that mistake again (free I mean).  It's never and will never be released officially.

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

Last time this was mentioned I ended up doing over 30 copies FREE for members and losing money, I think maybe 4 people said thanks :lol:

anyway I'm not making that mistake again. It's never and will never be released officially.

ha ha , no let me know p&p an ill have one ! You don't have the "hip to the tip " doc of Atlantic label too , that were a great documentary
Social source share

I remember at the time yes mid eighties i was on the scene,was you drewid?i recall lenny doing an American coast to coast that never got released....

Social source share

ha ha , no let me know p&p an ill have one ! You don't have the "hip to the tip " doc of Atlantic label too , that were a great documentary

I have got an Atlantic Records documentary - not sure if it's the one you want, think it's just called The Atlantic Story?  I think it's on the same disc as a documentary about Curtis Mayfield

Social source share

COAST TO COAST
Every year we receive hundreds of request for videos of this film starring LENNY HENRY, JOHN SHEA, GEORGE BAKER, and PETE POSTLETHWAITE etc.

When we produced it in 1986 we were unable to clear any of the rights for any form of video distribution - actors, writers, musicians, music content, director, writer and crew.

It was thought by the different financing elements that it was only a television film and as it would then have cost well over £200,000 to clear it for video release worldwide not to be worth the investment.

Due to numerous demands to purchase the video and lately DVD we have tried, on several occasion, to clear these rights retrospectively. This has not happened. Apart from the fact that the costs would now be far greater than those quoted in 1986, many of those concerned have said that they will not give their permission for such a release. These permissions are needed to move forward.

Therefore, it is with great regret that we are unable to provide any of you with a film that so many of you fondly remember nearly 20 years after it was first screened. 

Social source share

No he didn't, they couldn't get the copyright to use all of the music again, all those Motown tracks, I had a letter from the director which I used to copy and send out with the dvd's

Ok Pete I Heard it was Mr Shea ,I stand corrected  :yes:

Bazza   :hatsoff2:

Social source share

I have got an Atlantic Records documentary - not sure if it's the one you want, think it's just called The Atlantic Story? I think it's on the same disc as a documentary about Curtis Mayfield

ok I might be getting them mixed up but there was a documentary back in the 80s called " hip to the tip" thinking about it I'm sure it's different as they interview bootsy Collins about his time with James brown etc
Social source share

ok I might be getting them mixed up but there was a documentary back in the 80s called " hip to the tip" thinking about it I'm sure it's different as they interview bootsy Collins about his time with James brown etc

Let me do a bit of research, the one I have is from the 90's

Social source share

All of it available on youtube - part 1 below

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yep Lenny Henry & John Shea ,load of tripe got a dodgy DVD copy of a VHS video some where 

You must be mental mate. One of the funniest films I've ever seen. The actors are the best in the business, the script is superb and every time you watch it you notice another funny bit that you missed before. Truly brilliant. If only there were more films like this.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

You must be mental mate. One of the funniest films I've ever seen. The actors are the best in the business, the script is superb and every time you watch it you notice another funny bit that you missed before. Truly brilliant. If only there were more films like this.

Give over ,very average in my opinion ,you sure we are talking about the same thing  :rofl:

Social source share

as a scouser.. :yes: .    its the worst scouse accent ever in any film -show -tv programme . :dash2: ..but i liked it and great music.. that wedding in a pub in kirby very true to life there :ohmy:  ..i believe it was john shea who was dragging his feet about the release to video -dvd ...wanted more cash and who can really blame him 

Edited by staceys dad
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!