South Coast Allnighter

Would you attend/travel to, a South Coast Allnighter ?.  

• A music policy that covered oldies & current big Allnighter newies. 
  • Top name national & international DJ's. 
  • A second room with a 'freestyle' policy curatored by a respected DJ/promoter.
  • Quarterly which avoided other Allnighters & Weekenders (possibly Friday nights ?).
  • A venue with a 300 - 500 capacity between 2 rooms.
  • Members only policy.

There has been a recent Allnighter catering for newies, which was suberb, but unfortunately ill attended & unsustainable. 

There have also been other Allnighters, most of which cater for a local crowd & are not generally promoted outside of the area very well.

Would the faithful travel for an Allnighter consisting of oldies, newies, 6ts, 7ts & beyond on the South Coast near Brighton shall we say. 

Your thoughts appreciated.

Best Russ

• Helpful 1
Social source share

HI RUSS,

Think soul is well covered in brighton ,regular nighters and alldayers + all the walk in for free soul dos midweek , but will punters travel maybe depends whos dee-jaying they all try the put a guy on from a local do + a couple of guests from up north but the up north guests don't boost the attendance keeping it southern/ london based does

sse you there!

ANDY.

Social source share

HI RUSS,

Think soul is well covered in brighton ,regular nighters and alldayers + all the walk in for free soul dos midweek , but will punters travel maybe depends whos dee-jaying they all try the put a guy on from a local do + a couple of guests from up north but the up north guests don't boost the attendance keeping it southern/ london based does

sse you there!

ANDY.

Ay up Andy

Hope you are well.  I very much appreciate what your saying my good friend, but other than Robs annual Nighter, do you really think these events are promoted properly outside of the local area ?....this is not taking away from the quality of the music etc or in any way being critical of current events, but I feel they could be promoted better....could anyone else do any better numbers wise, well thats the million $ question mate....but there is a lot of soulies locally, if you could attract a travelling crowd aswell....

Putting an event on SS or FB is not promoting an event, creating a buzz, handing a flyer to someone personally & looking them in the eye & all the personal contact with the movers n groovers that will travel for the right event is what promotion is about.... having a clear music policy with proffessional DJ's who will add something of themselves, but arnt that far up em selves that they will play to the floor when required....

Has anyone got the required qualifications to pull it off....maybe ???

Russ

Social source share

Hi Russ..i think the problem with getting travellers would be finding a weekend when there isnt already something local to them?...so many nighters weekends on already with money being tight for a lot

takes a long time to get to the south coast, a couple of hours from bristol to southampton and its relatively close compared to those up north...so not sure if fridays would take off for the travellers as its a work day for most

saying that id support it mate if possible so good luck if you do it but probably best to get all the locals working together first ,in my opinion

atb

dean

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I think Spacehopper is right, Russ. You would need to offer something that you can't get most weekends up North for people to contemplate what would be an eight to ten hour round trip.  Don't think many would be willing to take the chance.  Not really the pioneering spirit of the 70s and 80s I know, but you're looking at an older clientele.

PS, are you the same Russ Vickers who was at Collingwood late 70s / early 80s?

Social source share

Sounds good Russ and I think there is certainly room for another allnighter - we've only had two so far this year in Brighton itself - the Komedia in August and Paddy Shevlins do at the View on Sat - both great nights and well attended. We only have two regular events Paddys once monthly afternoon session Vintage Soul and Julie and Darrens every other month do at Patching near Worthing ( which is a great night always packed). But we were really spoiled in Sussex this weekend as there was a Friday night event in Arundel and then an alldayer on Sat in Gosport , then the Brighton alllnighter and then Jok's alldayer on Sunday at the Volks - but that is fairly unusual. There seems to be a fair bit going on to the west of us though with Alfie's dos in Southampton and things going on in the Poole/Bournmouth are. There's some great local DJs like the Woons ,Alfie and co and John Browne and Tracey Shaw did a belting set at yesterdays alldayer but it would be nice to see people like Soul Sam down here also - good luck with your venture.

All the best

Manus

Social source share

I think Spacehopper is right, Russ. You would need to offer something that you can't get most weekends up North for people to contemplate what would be an eight to ten hour round trip.  Don't think many would be willing to take the chance.  Not really the pioneering spirit of the 70s and 80s I know, but you're looking at an older clientele.

PS, are you the same Russ Vickers who was at Collingwood late 70s / early 80s?

Yes I am mate, was there with Billy from Burnley, Molly, Steve C....do we know each other mate ?

Social source share

Sounds good Russ and I think there is certainly room for another allnighter - we've only had two so far this year in Brighton itself - the Komedia in August and Paddy Shevlins do at the View on Sat - both great nights and well attended. We only have two regular events Paddys once monthly afternoon session Vintage Soul and Julie and Darrens every other month do at Patching near Worthing ( which is a great night always packed). But we were really spoiled in Sussex this weekend as there was a Friday night event in Arundel and then an alldayer on Sat in Gosport , then the Brighton alllnighter and then Jok's alldayer on Sunday at the Volks - but that is fairly unusual. There seems to be a fair bit going on to the west of us though with Alfie's dos in Southampton and things going on in the Poole/Bournmouth are. There's some great local DJs like the Woons ,Alfie and co and John Browne and Tracey Shaw did a belting set at yesterdays alldayer but it would be nice to see people like Soul Sam down here also - good luck with your venture.

All the best

Manus

Hi Manus

Thanks for your reply.  What made me start to think about this, was that I was totally unaware of Paddys Nighter this year until you mentioned it on FB, have always enjoyed them in the past, but Im sure they could be promoted a little better....I have a cunning plan, but due to work commitments need to give this some serious thought before going ahead with anything....I would ideally like to have a mixture of all things soulful in the main room, mostly traditional, but with an element of the more Modern mixed in.....we did it before, can we do it again or are people just too stuck in thier ways.... ? to me this is how things always were at all the top nighters....would love to see it again....

Russ

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I go to Brighton to see family once every month or so. I ask Si Bridger if there is anything haooening soul wise and he nearly always says no.

Reading this thread it sounds like there is plenty happening.

I think Si is selling me a mickey.

Whats happening in November guys?

BTW Russ if the niter was on I'm pretty sure I would organise visits to coincide.

Social source share

RUSS,

I would have thought the London, the South West and upto the west Midlands crowd would be the main target audience.

Fridays is the worst day for travelling so that wouldn't work.

If you run one at the beginning and end of summer people may tie it in with a weekend away Bournemouth maybe and run a Sunday afternoon session with it.

I would think you would need a rarer and underplayed / modern room along with the main room.

But I'm no authority on these matters.

Edited by bri. phill
Social source share

RUSS,

I would have thought the London, the South West and upto the west Midlands crowd would be the main target audience.

Fridays is the worst day for travelling so that wouldn't work.

If you run one at the beginning and end of summer people may tie it in with a weekend away Bournemouth maybe and run a Sunday afternoon session with it.

I would think you would need a rarer and underplayed / modern room along with the main room.

I agree on all accounts, thank you for replying, very much appreciate your thoughts...

Best Russ

Social source share

I go to Brighton to see family once every month or so. I ask Si Bridger if there is anything haooening soul wise and he nearly always says no.

Reading this thread it sounds like there is plenty happening.

I think Si is selling me a mickey.

Whats happening in November guys?

BTW Russ if the niter was on I'm pretty sure I would organise visits to coincide.

The Patching do is on in November Mikey - the 2nd I think - it's about 25 minutes drive from Brighton and held in a village hall with a bring your own booze policy - it's always a good night and they've had some great DJs on there like Paul Thrower and the Woons, Linda Seddon , Nicki Shaw , Ann Taylor and many more. Si used to promote some great events at the Volks but hasn't put any on for awhile - but Jok Evans put an alldayer on there on Sunday which had a nice chilled vibe perfect after the nighter at View - I'll message you if I hear of any other events.

Cheers

Manus

Social source share

Guest BAKUNIN

As you know Russ I put a couple on at the Colony Club in Newbury and things went well ..if memory serves me correct we had a 50/50 split North and South

but honestly cant see it being repeated although I am still looking for a smaller "club type" venue for rare soul in the same area....still think there are a few my age who need one last hurrah.No doubt you will dj for me if I am lucky enough to find something?

ATB

ROB SAWETZ

Edited by BAKUNIN
Social source share

Hi Russ

There are very few people in Brighton on 'the northern scene', I was at Paddy's do Sat as I was playing in the modern room and it's well run and very packed. But it's a predominantly a local oldies crowd for the northern side, Paddy runs a commecial soul night every month and gets 100's in and they are the people that were there, I doubt 99% of those people had ever been to any other allnighter than Paddy's and they're certainly not looking for anything they haven't heard before. Which is fine, it's what they want.

The odd free Volks do's are predominantly oldies and rnb/mod sounds and not well attended, there are more people from the mod scene usually than the soul scene. Simon is right in one way, Brighton is a soul desert in many ways apart from a handful of people, certainly not enough to make a decent crowd for what you are trying to do. Also, accommodation is expensive and hard to get all year round. I'd like somethng to happen here and if I thought it would work i'd be up for working with someone on it, but to be frank, ive tried doing anything other than what I would consider to be 'more commercial northern' and it's a complete waste of time, nobody is interested here m8. There are much stronger scenes going west along the coast.

The only things that ever worked soulfully were when we moved away from northern and concentrated on a small modern room with the main room being house, bringing in a different crowd altogether. Despite what people think there is very little heritage of northern in Brighton, it's a transit town where a large % of the population are students, so it's all more about fashion.

So, sorry to be negative but I think it's a mountain you'll never climb unless you're expecting 50-150 to attend. Also bear in mind as Andy says, names don't attract punters down here as nobody know who they are, it's more of a word of mouth social scene not related to the rest of the country, so you do need a lor of travellers, and generally i always found the M1 only goes north for most people LOL

cheers Paul

Edited by Sutty
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!