Magnetics Bootleg Why So Dear ? Please Explain

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261302293212?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Not a very legit issue of The Magnetics - poor label design as well - who knows why these command such high prices ? :ohmy:

Already at £23.99 - yet some classy origs fail to reach even £4.99 in bids ????

And no I won' t bother reporting to Ebay - naff all is done by Ebay or copyright owners with regard to these practices.

' sought after pressing '  - at least it is not being touted around as ' orig not sure ' blah blah blah.... :yes:  :yes:  :yes:

Social source share

Glyn, what really pisses me off is when I put stuff on ebay (Originals) I get bugger all for 'em, just had look at some I've sold recently all vg++ or ex copies

JACKIE LEE - OH MY DARLING - MIRWOOD £4.99

MANHATTANS - I WANNA BE - CARNIVAL £2.99

LEON COLLINS - I JUST WANNA SAY - ELF £2.99

HOSANNA - HIPIT - CALLA £2.99

S.O.U.L - THIS TIME AROUND - MUSICOR DEMO £5.70

JOE TEX - ALL THE HEAVEN - DIAL £4.99

WTF !!

Don't get me wrong , I don't mind folk getting them cheap , that's how it goes but I can't get my head round people paying stupid fooking money on boots that even look crap , Why ???

Rant over ! :wicked:

Swifty

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Agreed Swifty ( and it was me that purchased two of those )  Can't resist buying cheap originals for stock -  I 'll never become rich tho same as you - Maybe I should just press 100 copies of a well known track like some others ....

I know you did mate and it wasn't a dig at you :wink:  and as I said it's not the fact that someone gets them cheap , I sometimes get records for silly prices (not often enough though :lol: ). What I don't understand is that these people who buy expensive boots must have some knowledge of the scene to know the record, I'm not knocking the seller who describes a record as a boot either , I just can't get my head round somebody paying £50 or so on something that isn't the real deal when they could be buying 4 or 5 decent originals for the same price :huh:

The whole damn world is going crazy !

Swifty :wink:

Social source share

Glyn, what really pisses me off is when I put stuff on ebay (Originals) I get bugger all for 'em, just had look at some I've sold recently all vg++ or ex copies

JACKIE LEE - OH MY DARLING - MIRWOOD £4.99

MANHATTANS - I WANNA BE - CARNIVAL £2.99

LEON COLLINS - I JUST WANNA SAY - ELF £2.99

HOSANNA - HIPIT - CALLA £2.99

S.O.U.L - THIS TIME AROUND - MUSICOR DEMO £5.70

JOE TEX - ALL THE HEAVEN - DIAL £4.99

WTF !!

Don't get me wrong , I don't mind folk getting them cheap , that's how it goes but I can't get my head round people paying stupid fooking money on boots that even look crap , Why ???

Rant over ! :wicked:

Swifty

Swifty, -given those prices you listed, I think it would have been reasonable for you to have placed a minimum bid level on them that would have been at LEAST 2-3 times the price you received.  Are you not allowed to list a bid minimum?

Social source share

Swifty, -given those prices you listed, I think it would have been reasonable for you to have placed a minimum bid level on them that would have been at LEAST 2-3 times the price you received.  Are you not allowed to list a bid minimum?

Yes Robb , you can and maybe I should have but I just thought that I would get a bit below going rate , if you know what I mean. I don't have a problem with people winning records cheap , that's we all try and do at the end of the day. My problem is with idiots who pay silly money for boots , maybe just bitter and twisted :lol: .

I know at the end of the day people can do what they like and pay what they like but I just don't get it.

Cheers

Swifty :thumbsup:

p.s. Robb if you have a few thousand records you don't need anymore I can pm you my address mate :wink:

Social source share

Yes Robb , you can and maybe I should have but I just thought that I would get a bit below going rate , if you know what I mean. I don't have a problem with people winning records cheap , that's we all try and do at the end of the day. My problem is with idiots who pay silly money for boots , maybe just bitter and twisted :lol: .

I know at the end of the day people can do what they like and pay what they like but I just don't get it.

Cheers

Swifty :thumbsup:

p.s. Robb if you have a few thousand records you don't need anymore I can pm you my address mate :wink:

I'd have been happy with £5 each for that lot except for Jackie Lee which I'd have asked £15

Social source share

I'd have been happy with £5 each for that lot except for Jackie Lee which I'd have asked £15

Must be just me then Pete , I shall go sit in the corner and slap myself with a wet fish for being so stupid eh!

Tell you what Pete when you start selling stuff like that for £5 let me know 'cause I'll have 'em off you matey

Social source share

Must be just me then Pete , I shall go sit in the corner and slap myself with a wet fish for being so stupid eh!

I wasn't being funny, I do sell Hipit for £5, who's gonna pay more than that?  SOUL very common record.  Joe Tex people only want a couple of his.  Manhattans common version of Pretenders.  

Social source share

I wasn't being funny, I do sell Hipit for £5, who's gonna pay more than that?  SOUL very common record.  Joe Tex people only want a couple of his.  Manhattans common version of Pretenders.  

Pete , my argument isn't what I got for my records it was I don't understand these Divies that pay loads for a boot , I know your prices are keen Pete and fair play to ya mate. I was just using those prices as a benchmark .

Wolves are Shite :lol:

Social source share

Anything I don't sell I reduce it til it sells.  Whats the point of having it on the shelf?  

I agree Pete , but what's the point of selling for less than you pay , I only do it as a hobby and to fund other things as I said on another thread , you wont be seeing me on Dragons Den :wink:

Social source share

I can't get my head around this business of boots going for anything more than a few quid. There's no kudos in owning a boot and you can't get away with playing one out (I presume)? If someone simply wants to have the tune available to listen to whenever they want then it'll surely be available on a compilation CD or YouTube? Weird.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yep, found it in a collection I bought a few years ago. Somehow my conscious mind said i would never have the audacity to play it so passed it on. More of a kudos dancing to a record that someone strived to obtain rather than the click of a button.

It's worth the postage price....if that!

Social source share

Isn't Ebay's minimum bid (reserved price) something like £50? Bloody ridiculous, doesn't give you half a chance of picking up a reasonable price unless you start it at what you want for it. Rather defeats the object somehow. Might as well list it BIN.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I can't get my head around this business of boots going for anything more than a few quid. There's no kudos in owning a boot and you can't get away with playing one out (I presume)? If someone simply wants to have the tune available to listen to whenever they want then it'll surely be available on a compilation CD or YouTube? Weird.

You'd be amazed how many RELY on boots, never mind try to 'get away' with playing them.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Pete, was watching the Michael & Raymond too, ended up going for £67?? and in the description is stated there was a tiny crack in it?
Fortunately I had already spotted another one for £27 which I bought.

Never looked at Brady's site to be honest cos he is usually quite pricey.

Just had a look and the only one I can see on there is this one at £30;
https://www.northernsoul45s.co.uk/product_detail.asp?id=8426

Edited by Northern Soul UK
Social source share

Pete, was watching the Michael & Raymond too, ended up going for £67?? and in the description is stated there was a tiny crack in it?

Fortunately I had already spotted another one for £27 which I bought.

Never looked at Brady's site to be honest cos he is usually quite pricey.

Just had a look and the only one I can see on there is this one at £30;

https://www.northernsoul45s.co.uk/product_detail.asp?id=8426

Yes but why would anyone pay more than a tenner for a 1975 reissue like that which is really common, so common it was pressed twice on different colour RCA labels.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yes but why would anyone pay more than a tenner for a 1975 reissue like that which is really common, so common it was pressed twice on different colour RCA labels.

I know Pete, makes you want to hunt down all the cheap ones and put em on ebay if they're fetching silly money?

So what would be the ligitimate UK release then? or was there one? and is the one on Brady's site the second press?

Edited by Northern Soul UK
Social source share

Isn't Ebay's minimum bid (reserved price) something like £50? Bloody ridiculous, doesn't give you half a chance of picking up a reasonable price unless you start it at what you want for it. Rather defeats the object somehow. Might as well list it BIN.

John, are you saying to list on eBay with a minimum bid, the reserve has to be £50 or more ?

If so, when the hell did that start ? The last time I had any kind of reserve on anything was a good many years ago, and although there would have been records with higher reserve than that, there would most definately have been much lower reserves on lesser items.

Glad I don't do reserves, either start it at what I want for it, or take a chance.

Cheers

Mick

Social source share

John, are you saying to list on eBay with a minimum bid, the reserve has to be £50 or more ?

If so, when the hell did that start ? The last time I had any kind of reserve on anything was a good many years ago, and although there would have been records with higher reserve than that, there would most definately have been much lower reserves on lesser items.

Glad I don't do reserves, either start it at what I want for it, or take a chance.

Cheers

Mick

Couple of years Mick

Social source share

Cheers

Mick

I bid recently on a record that had 'Reserve not met' set. I bid a few quid over £50, though the latest bid on it was less than £10 at the time. Straight away my bid went in at £50, and the 'Reserve..' legend disappeared. I wasn't expecting a figure that high (bit of a shock), so I'm assuming that is how it works. I couldn't imagine the seller set it that high through any free choice.

Edited by John Moffatt
Social source share

You'd be amazed how many RELY on boots, never mind try to 'get away' with playing them.

I assume this kind of thing is for the plethora of "Vinyl Only" clubs that seem to be springing up, particulary inn Stockport, I thought these were for middle aged swingers at first, then realised I was right....

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yeah, just tried changed one in turbo lister just to see for myself, and it says £50.00 minimum. That one passed me by

yeah the £50 reserve thing is ridiculous especially if what you are selling isn't worth £50. You can't put a reserve on it so the only option is to start at the lowest price you would take, and then it deters bidders from bidding.

For the last say 100 auctions I have had on eBay, I have started the bidding at 99p, if the item is wanted it will find it's price, plus the 99p start encourages more bids.

I know it sounds risky, but I have watched items exactly the same as I am selling with a high start price, not get any bids at all, whereas the one I am selling has reached a higher amount.

Social source share

I assume this kind of thing is for the plethora of "Vinyl Only" clubs that seem to be springing up, particulary inn Stockport, I thought these were for middle aged swingers at first, then realised I was right....

Haha yes plenty of those clubs all over mate who proudly proclaim "all played off 100% vinyl" etc. They might just as well play a cd or a laptop if they aren't playing ovo.

Edited by SHSDave
Social source share

Well done Pete - last Hip It - sold @99p , and the obscurer LMHA issue only seems to muster under £5 these days -  it's hard... bloody hard to push originals sometimes.... :(  :(

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!