International Site Visibility Feature

I've just had a couple of emails from ebay customer support, telling me they have removed my option to list on ebay.com and ebay.ca. The statement says something about different countries' ebay policies. But, these are two relistings that went through without any problem first time around, and are part of a longer list, the rest of which is unaffected. Anyone got any idea what's going on here?

Edited by John Moffatt
Social source share

I had one this afternoon John. Strangely enough, it didn't appear in my Ebay message box, so wonder if it's actually genuine?  And my account wasn't refunded, as the email implied it would be.

For a laugh, the listing in question was this, and I can't think how the hell it contravenes International site policy!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221297528854?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

Edited by Gene-R
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Likely a phishing scam designed to get you to sign in and reveal your ebay password in order to manipulate your account..?

Possibly. There are a couple of web URLs that I didn't follow, but the .com and .ca options have been removed from the two records I got the emails about, and not the other. And, there is no relation to starting price either. The only thing I can see is that the two in the emails were English and French productions, whereas the untouched one was from America originally. Could that be it? 

Social source share

I had one this afternoon John. Strangely enough, it didn't appear in my Ebay message box, so wonder if it's actually genuine?  And my account wasn't refunded, as the email implied it would be.

For a laugh, the listing in question was this, and I can't think how the hell it contravenes International site policy!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221297528854?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

See my bit above - is yours a UK release?

Social source share

Hi John,

Yep - definitely a UK release.  Wouldn't have thought that would have been a factor, truthfully.  I've currently got 8 other records on auction, 7 of which are UK releases and detailed accordingly, and this was the only one I got an alert about.

I've just been reading the community forum board for Ebay, and some people are suggesting that it could actually be a software glitch.

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

Hi John,

Yep - definitely a UK release.  Wouldn't have thought that would have been a factor, truthfully.  I've currently got 8 other records on auction, 7 of which are UK releases and detailed accordingly, and this was the only one I got an alert about.

I've just been reading the community forum board for Ebay, and some people are suggesting that it could actually be a software glitch.

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. I was wondering if there is any wording or release number info, or something, that they can filter on. Might try a modification or two, and see what happens. And yet, choose what the reason, I can't see any logic in it being deliberate. It makes no sense. Scratch head and have a beer methinks :-)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. I was wondering if there is any wording or release number info, or something, that they can filter on. Might try a modification or two, and see what happens. And yet, choose what the reason, I can't see any logic in it being deliberate. It makes no sense. Scratch head and have a beer methinks :-)

Exactly my first thoughts John, though try as I did, I couldn't think of a sensible word combination that would have resulted in a ban!  

On the other hand, I heard a funny story (supposedely true) a good few years back about someone whose positive feedback was rejected by Ebay, for use of the words "who really" (used in a complimentary sense).  Apparently, he wasn't supposed to use the word "whore" (whore ally / who really?? Oh yes - got it now!)!!

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

Exactly my first thoughts John, though try as I did, I couldn't think of a sensible word combination that would have resulted in a ban!  

On the other hand, I heard a funny story (supposedely true) a good few years back about someone whose positive feedback was rejected by Ebay, for use of the words "who really" (used in a complimentary sense).  Apparently, he wasn't supposed to use the word "whore" (whore ally / who really?? Oh yes - got it now!)!!

Hah-ha. On that note......

Thanks for your input Gene

Cheers

John

• Helpful 1
Social source share

For anyone who's still concerned about ISV, and the erroneous emails that went out to Ebay members last week, I've just had the following response from Ebay, which confirms that all emails were sent out in error:

Hello Gene,

Thank you for your email. I understand your concern with regards to the International Site Visibility Upgrade being removed from item ****

Gene, please allow me to inform you, currently some members are receiving emails stating that their items for which they had chosen the International Site Visibility (ISV) upgrade have had the feature removed as they do not comply with the eBay site EBAY_AUTOS. However, these items are performing as they should and they are appearing on eBay US searches. The email looks to be sent in error. This is being investigated.

Occasionally these unfortunate situations do arise. I can assure you that when these situations do arise we always work as quickly as possible to try and solve the problems. This is very important to us, as we want our community of users to enjoy the best possible trading experience and use all of the features available on the site.

We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused you and thank you for your patience and understanding.

Kind regards,

Nadine Lundy
eBay Customer Support

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!