Blues Busters On Capital Info Wanted

TOAD

Two on Capitol I believe. It came about when they came to NY in the 60s as part of the Worlds Trade fair and met Luther Dixon. The 'Busters were two Jamaican dudes - they were on a load of other labels, including Minit, Shout, Scepter etc. Plus a load more on Jamaican labels....Don't know on value?

Edited by Steve G
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

One of the capitol 45s is a remake of their bluebeat 45 'tell me why', but its not that well produced and doesnt really work. Sold it for 30 I think.

Social source share

I've got some live footage of the Blues Busters, it's from a Reggae concert in the Bronx circa 1982, they are still dressed in matching suits doing a very dated act, it must be said.  Nice, but a little out of place.

Do you remember the clip of them doing "I Don't Know" on the film "Ska" released about 1964 (probably for the NY World Trade Fair)?  Brilliant clip.

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

My fave dancer by them, "Ohh Baby" only issued on the Jamaican BMN label

Is the version on UK Island different, then?

Edited by Flynny
Social source share

I have these 2, both worth picking up. I have the Scepter one somewhere as well.

Not sure why the pic is so blurry - 45 is The Blues Busters - Got To Get There/Pretty Girls - Umbrella Records from Canada

post-1612-0-28737200-1381842422_thumb.jp

post-1612-0-38562400-1381842450_thumb.jp

Edited by newer
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Yes 1967 mate, Island is very early, 62 I think

Thanks Pete...I didn't know that, although had my suspicions considering the Island label design/release number. Glad I hung into the BMN copy...is it worth anything yet?

Oddly enough I came across a copy of their United Artists LP the other day...first one I've found over here.

Social source share

Thankyou all for your input it looks like the one i need is "got to get there" so they only did two 45s on capital? Price please for the last one. Many thanks To

great record..des parker and mace both had one of these for sale recently...cant remember price think i paid about 30 for a mint demo though coup[le of years back

• Helpful 2
Social source share

It usually sells far too cheap in my opinion considering its rarity and quality. Usually about £75-£100.

Cheers Seb...are the flipsides also different takes?

Social source share

Cheers Seb...are the flipsides also different takes?

"Ohh Baby" on BMN is a totally different song compared to "Oh! Baby" on UK Island. They don't have the same lyrics at all.

The flipside on BMN is "Unless" (also an uptempo soul tune).

The flipside on UK Island is "Behold".

As Pete wrote, there are probably 5-6 years between the recordings. UK Island is from 1962.

Here's the flipside on BMN:

Edited by Sebastian
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

"Ohh Baby" on BMN is a totally different song compared to "Oh! Baby" on UK Island. They don't have the same lyrics at all.

The flipside on BMN is "Unless" (also an uptempo soul tune).

The flipside on UK Island is "Behold".

Cheers Seb...glad I kept the BMN copy, then :yes:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!