Legends Of Motown Quiz

Guest Invictus

....and had a 50% chance if he'd done it blindfold! :P

80% for me with no cheating.   90% if I cheat - 'cos I didn't like one of the answers.

:hatsoff2: - Kev

90%.

Four Tops question about being a jazz group wrong.

Yep, that was the one I didn't like.

They didn't say jazz group - they said jazz BAND. That makes me think of Kenny Ball.

Does singing a few jazz standards make you a jazz band/group? What about their doowop stuff? I'd always imagined their roots lay there, but am willing to be enlightened.

Social source share

Yep, that was the one I didn't like.

They didn't say jazz group - they said jazz BAND. That makes me think of Kenny Ball.

Does singing a few jazz standards make you a jazz band/group? What about their doowop stuff? I'd always imagined their roots lay there, but am willing to be enlightened.

Kev , a bit of a trick question I reckon but maybe wrong. The thing that made me pick jazz was the Album that's mega rare or doesn't exist , which I reckon was something like 'Jazz Workshop' (nearly put 'Worksop' :lol: )

Or I may have imagined it  :hypo:

Just re read what I put , if the album doesn't exist it must be bloody rare :lol:

Edited by SWIFTY
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Kev , a bit of a trick question I reckon but maybe wrong. The thing that made me pick jazz was the Album that's mega rare or doesn't exist , which I reckon was something like 'Jazz Workshop' (nearly put 'Worksop' :lol: )

Just re read what I put , if the album doesn't exist it must be bloody rare :lol:

That's right I remembered the Jazz Workshop LP as well.

Social source share

Unissued album, titled "Breaking Through", supposed to include some of the recordings on the Lost and Found CD, was slated for release on Workshop Jazz, as Workshop LP Jazz W217.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

....and had a 50% chance if he'd done it blindfold! :P

excellent response! we call this the "proportional reduction in error" problem in statistics. comparing correctly predicted variance to either guessing the modal category, or relying on random chance (as in this case). 

you should be a social scientist! (maybe you are?)

you would be surprised how many researchers report results that are WORSE than random chance as being "significant"...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

excellent response! we call this the "proportional reduction in error" problem in statistics. comparing correctly predicted variance to either guessing the modal category, or relying on random chance (as in this case). 

you should be a social scientist! (maybe you are?)

you would be surprised how many researchers report results that are WORSE than random chance as being "significant"...

Ha, no not a Social Scientist!  Never been a fan of statistics as they always seem to be missing something significant which would drastically alter what they pretend to portray.

On another note - thanks to all for mentioning the Jazz Workshop LP which I had no idea about. :thumbsup:  You live and learn.

- :hatsoff2: Kev

Social source share

The only one I got wrong was the Diana Ross founded the Supremes one, and I think that's a bad question. She was an original member of the group and she may not have been THE founder, I would still consider her a founder... She was there before they were even the Supremes...

Social source share

70% , though I thought Bobby Taylor discovered The J5

That's what I heard.

Bobby Taylor heard these youngsters sing, and told Gladys Knight who went along to see them and was impressed.

Between them, they convinced Berry Gordy to take a look.

Miss Ross had nothing to do with it, though she took the credit of course.

I got 90% - got the Mary Wells/Beatles question wrong.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!