Great Female Vocals

Guest soulfulmouse

brenda lee eager-when i,m with you-mercury sublime soul

choo choo mongomery-just can,t say no-sussex

faye crawford-what have i done wrong-rca.

records that still give has the hairs standing on the back of my neck,everytime i hear them.

Social source share

• Replies 133
  • Views 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Bearsy

One of the pleasures of Soul has to be the female sigers. Here is my nomination for one of the very finest: Doris Allen 'A Shell of A Woman'.

Ruby Andrews - Just loving you.

what more can i say :thumbsup:

Bearsy.

Social source share

a real oldie....bring him back - cissy houston.

BOOM! there ya go - match that for exuberance :D

Yeah good shout. Think this was in the 'Look at your box' forgotten oldie thread the other day. blush.gif

Ruby Andrews - Just loving you.

what more can i say :thumbsup:

Bearsy.

You can tell me why she (quite clearly) sings "such a tit-head" right at the end of the song? :lol:

Social source share

Agree that Fantasia is brilliant. She really makes that Joss Stone look like a karaoke singer. But I don't think she's had half the hype.I've only seen and heard her on American Idol. Have you listened to any of her albums?

I would really like to hear her doing something like this.

I visit her website, there are sound clips on there - some upbeat funky stuff indeed. Nope, not got her album yet - might see if Amazon have it now otherwise it's postage from USA I think :thumbsup:

Stars - Barbara Lewis - one of my all time favs

https://www.soulclub.org/stream/Barbara_Lewis_-_Stars.ram

I first heard that when I left my ex-husband some 8 years ago and immediately fell in love with it/her. What a superb vocal - almost melts in your ears rolleyes.gif

Social source share

Guest Andy BB

Another vote for Let Me Down easy - class.

Barbara Lewis - Stars. Love this to bits, play it at a Mod club if you ever get the chance, they all LOVE it :lol:

Good shout from Quinvy - Absolute winner has got to be Lorraine Ellison - Stay With Me Baby. If you've heard a better vocal performance than that I'll show my ar*e on St Helens' Town Hall steps.

Social source share

Great record that, isn'n't it Ken? I must have a look in the gallery to see who posted it.

On the subject of posting what about some selections from you!

See what i can do?,Billy.......................just dont wanna` spoil a nice topic :lol:

Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

Lorraine Ellison - Stay With Me Baby. If you've heard a better vocal performance than that I'll show my ar*e on St Helens' Town Hall steps.

start getting your ar*e prepared for an outing!!

I'm sorry to say this, but smile.gif I don't like this at all!!.

I also hate much-loved classic "Woman to Woman" so maybe it's just me :ohmy:

I'd nominate Holly Maxwell's "Suffer".

Agree with the Baby Washington posts-she's one of my favourites of all time

Edited by mrs norman maine
Social source share

start getting your ar*e prepared for an outing!!

I'm sorry to say this, but smile.gif I don't like this at all!!.

I also hate "Woman to Woman" so maybe it's just me wink.gif

I'd nominate Holly Maxwell's "Suffer".

Agree with the Baby Washington posts-she's one of my favourites of all time

What about Jo Wallace..She can really carry her voice too :P One big voiced soul sister from the East End.. :ohmy:

Social source share

here's another great female vocal by another great singer. great song too, which helps smile.gif

Great choice Dan...Real class indeed..Hope to see you soon my freind..Always welcome up our way..Maybe a different hotel this time though :ohmy: ..Not sure if its been done already but i would like to see a soundfile(not sure how its done) for Lorraine Rudolph.."i keep coming back for more"..Still one of the best tunes for me after all these years and always in my play box....Yes an all time tune for me....Great topic..

Social source share

Guest rachel

Not sure if its been done already but i would like to see a soundfile(not sure how its done) for Lorraine Rudolph.."i keep coming back for more"..Still one of the best tunes for me after all these years and always in my play box....Yes an all time tune for me....Great topic..

smile.gif

And of course the stunning B side... wink.gif:ohmy:

Social source share

Great choice Dan...Real class indeed..Hope to see you soon my freind..Always welcome up our way..Maybe a different hotel this time though :shhh: ..Not sure if its been done already but i would like to see a soundfile(not sure how its done) for Lorraine Rudolph.."i keep coming back for more"..Still one of the best tunes for me after all these years and always in my play box....Yes an all time tune for me....Great topic..
i'd already posted the lorraine rudolph steve :thumbsup: but you're right, blindingly good northern soul :shhh::lol:
Social source share

i'd already posted the lorraine rudolph steve :thumbsup: but you're right, blindingly good northern soul :shhh::shhh:

Ok Dan

Thanks to Billy for the link above..Its on now and goose bump are there... :lol: ..It does it every time...Whe she screams at the end oooooooooooooooooh. REAL DEAL SOUL TRACK..Like so many tracks its just too short,i can't get off in two mins :lol: ,i need at least 3 mins for that :D

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

Let's have another .... too good not to ... :thumbsup:

Can I put forward Marie Knight " cry me a river" .....

Edited by Richard Bergman
Social source share

Does anybody know anything about the lead singer of The Stunners? Another great voice. And of course a great record, too.

You know what ... i've always wondered if they were "Stunners".... they had to be surely ...

ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS ... Arthur Fenn plays it out ... AWESOME ... top call!!! :thumbsup:

Social source share

MY TOP 10..

JAIBI..YOU GOT ME..WHAT GOOD AM I..KAPP

BETTYE LAVETTE..ONLY YOUR LOVE CAN SAVE ME..STAND UP LIKE A MAN..CALLA

ERMA FRANKLIN..RIGHT TO CRY..SHOUT

ARETHA FRANKLIN..CRY LIKE A BABY..COLUMBIA

ROSE BROOKS..IM MOANIN..SOUL CITY

INELL YOUNG..IVE NEVER CONSIDERED..BUSY B

ANITA HUMES & ESSEX..WHAT DID I DO..ROULETTE

THELMA LINDSEY..WHY WERENT YOU THERE..MAGIC CITY

NICK :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Andy BB

Can I put forward Marie Knight " cry me a river" .....

Always find that a bit disjointed - lovely singing mind you, just the arrangement.

Have you heard her singing Come Tomorrow? Gorgeous.

Social source share

CAROL ANDERSON.. blush.gif FANTASTIC,im not worried on the flip great too. Been on my wants list for ages,always sounds great,love it.

Great call Nick and Co...One of the greatest soul tunes ever..What a tune for the dancefloor,loooooooooooooooooooooooose your fuc"ing mind out there,eyes closed,sweat and tears...

My choice for tonight is deep down dirty 60s soul...Would be great to get a sound file...

Cleo Randle....Big city lights.. :Ptongue.gif

Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

Bettye Lavette "Let Me Down Easy" magnificent, especially when she cuts loose towards the end.

Is it true that when she recorded this, the sound engineer had just dumped her and by the time she finished singing, everyone in the studio was in tears-apart from the b*st*rd sound engineer?

You've got twenty seconds to answer BTW :D

Social source share

Here are a few wonderful female artists & tunes:

Gwen McCrae - It Keeps On raining

Marlena Shaw - Feel Like Making Love

Gloria Scott - What am I Gonna Do

Stephanie Mills - What Cha gonna Do With My Lovin

Phyllis Hyman - Don't Tell Me Tell Her

Teena Marie - Chains

Barbara Lynn - Tryin To Love Two

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source