Jerry Butler - My God He's Covered Allot Of Songs

Mal C

probably old news to some, but I was just looking at a lot of the Butler 45's that I have, and realized he's covered an awful lot of songs big on the Northern scene by other artists, whether they covered him, or he them, I dont know but it makes a great list to start:

so obvious one to start: Jerry Butler - I'm The One (Impressions)

Jerry Butler -  I Cant Stand to See You cry (Joe Valentine, and others I just cant remember them)

Jerry Butler - Find Yourself Another (Johnny Gilliam)

Jerry Butler - Giving up on Love - (Aki Aleong on Trans American... and later VJ in Chicago)

and I know he did allot of songs Mercury stable mate Lorraine Ellison did, 'dont let it go to your Head' and others, as well as Ordinary Joe (terry callier), the list is endless!!!

any more folks?

mal

Edited by Mal.C.
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

probably old news to some, but I was just looking at alot of the Butler 45's that I have, and ealised he's covered an awful lot of songs big on the Northern scene by other artists, whether thay covered him, or he them, I dont know but it makes a great list to start:

Jerry Butler -  I Cant Stand to See You cry (joe Valentine, and others I just cant remember them)

Jerry Butler - Find Yourself Another (johnny gilliam)

Jerry Butler - Giving up on Love - (Aki Aleong on Trans American... and later VJ in Chicago)

and I know he did allot of songs Mercury stable mate Lorraine Ellison did, 'dont let it go to your Head' and others, as well as Ordinary Joe (terry callier), the list is endless!!!

any more folks?

mal

I'm sure there's plenty Mal.

What a great artist he is too - bought a few bits by him recently.

Peter

:thumbsup:

Social source share

probably old news to some, but I was just looking at a lot of the Butler 45's that I have, and realized he's covered an awful lot of songs big on the Northern scene by other artists, whether they covered him, or he them, I dont know but it makes a great list to start:

Jerry Butler -  I Cant Stand to See You cry (Joe Valentine, and others I just cant remember them)

any more folks?

mal

Not the same song as Johnny Gilliam!

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

I know it's a bit cheesy but I love his duet of 'close to you' with brenda lee eager. There's a great clip on them on soul train in youtube

Social source share

right I'm going to prove this cause I have a mp3 credited to him, which is deffo the same song... bare with me..

Might be a mis-credited MP3?  :g:  Both songs can be heard above. But please post the MP3 somewhere, it would be great if there was a version of "Find Yourself Another Girl" by Johnny Gilliam. The version recorded by Jerry Butler is one of my all-time faves. :thumbsup:

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

right I'm going to prove this cause I have a mp3 credited to him, which is deffo the same song... bare with me..

Im really looking forward to hearing this........ but do we have to get naked ???

Social source share

Ok, Ive egg on my face, so no need to get Naked people, i'll take another pill, calm down, nothing happened here today, certainly no new unheard version of Jerry butler... :huh: the i-tunes I'm looking at plays as Sebs above post/Clips...

What I will say is, these two are very alike, dont you think? and if I was a betting man; when Johnny Gilliam wrote his 'Find Yourself Another' I'd bet he had half an ear cocked in the direction of Jerry Butler...

moving swiftly on, Jerry's song 'Loneliness' has always been a favorite, has B. Butler in the credits, anybody know whether his brother recorded that as well, as well as writing it..?

The words to 'Stop Steppin on my Life' are strange aren't they, I mean shooting down the babies????? :ohmy:

Mal

Edited by Mal.C.
Social source share

Yep  he did some great songs wish they had released  Stepping on my dreams as a 45 ,bought the album sampler 45 but only about a minutes worth of steppin on it

Has "Stop Stepping .." ever escaped on CD ?

I would have thought it had been included on the 2fer Mercury CD release 'IceMan: the Mercury Years'. But even though that features 44 of his tracks, "Stop Stepping .." ain't one of em. 

Social source share

What I will say is, these two are very alike, dont you think? and if I was a betting man; when Johnny Gilliam wrote his 'Find Yourself Another' I'd bet he had half an ear cocked in the direction of Jerry Butler...

I agree, it seems to be heavily influenced by the Jerry Butler tune. Johnny Gilliam's singing style/phrasing also borrows a lot from Butler.

Social source share

The Johnny Gilliam / Jerry Butler track which both did is You Make Me Feel Like Someone. Credited to Levine and Springer on the Butler Mercury track, and Levine and Tree by Gilliam on Modern.

A Jerry Butler version which is underrated is Why Did I Lose You, originally recorded by Penny Carter on Verve; a track by great Brill Building writers Roger Atkins and Carl D'Errico..

I prefer Jerry's original versions of Curtis Mayfield classics Woman With Soul, I'm The One and I've Been Trying to The Impressions own readings (which are still great).

Has anyone mentioned JB's version of Kenny Gamble's You Don't Know What You Got?

Edited by garethx
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

probably old news to some, but I was just looking at a lot of the Butler 45's that I have, and realized he's covered an awful lot of songs big on the Northern scene by other artists, whether they covered him, or he them, I dont know but it makes a great list to start: so obvious one to start: Jerry Butler - I'm The One (Impressions) Jerry Butler -  I Cant Stand to See You cry (Joe Valentine, and others I just cant remember them) Jerry Butler - Find Yourself Another (Johnny Gilliam) Jerry Butler - Giving up on Love - (Aki Aleong on Trans American... and later VJ in Chicago) and I know he did allot of songs Mercury stable mate Lorraine Ellison did, 'dont let it go to your Head' and others, as well as Ordinary Joe (terry callier), the list is endless!!! any more folks?

mal

Has been mine burning ambition to get to see him line one day, the Chicago weekender next year may be the time and place to do it. :thumbsup:

Social source share

killer version, I love it... :thumbsup:

and this, One Night Affair

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZQXzDvaRUQ

and this, never knew it was his most successful single...

Only the Strong Survive" is a 1968 song by Jerry Butler, released on his album "The Ice Man Cometh". It was the most successful single of his career, reaching #4 on the Billboard Hot 100 and was #1 for two weeks on the Billboard Black Singles Chart, in March and April 1969, respectively.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX80fZGZyz4

Edited by Mal.C.
Social source share

Yep  he did some great songs wish they had released  Stepping on my dreams as a 45 ,bought the album sampler 45 but only about a minutes worth of steppin on it

Seems that Mercury made up those LP taster EP's for most of Jerry B's albums ...........

.... plus other related items that would be considered great memorabilia today. 

post-22122-0-66607500-1382515583_thumb.j

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

• 1 month later...

He did a version of Baby Washington's That's how heartaches are made

:thumbsup:

I always loved Jerry's version of 'That's How Heartaches Are Made', I had it on the LP before I got it on 45, I hope it gets played in soul clubs once in a while.

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

any more folks?

mal

Just pointing out that Joe Valentine is "I Can't Stand To See You Go" ...  a deep soul classic and completely different record 

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!