Out Of Favour Tunes

• Replies 94
  • Views 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

That bring a smile to your face every time you hear them.....

I'll start with two:

Landslide - Tony Clarke

Dance, Dance, Dance - The Casualeers.

Who says i don't like mouldy oldies?

WOOF!

link

Jeanette Harper - Put Me In Your Pocket !

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Bloody hell Fido, I hope someone has your knackers lopped off. Last heard Casualeers at Carisbrooke hall promotion night last month played by Winstanley. I never hear Gene Woodbury Ever Again (craps on Bernie Williams), at least not in London, does it get played elsewhere? I think I shall start playing it myself. An all time favourite. Also never hear Pamela Beatty Talking Eyes, absolute floor clearer. I love it.

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Bloody hell Fido, I hope someone has your knackers lopped off.  Last heard Casualeers at Carisbrooke hall promotion night last month played by Winstanley.  I never hear Gene Woodbury Ever Again (craps on Bernie Williams), at least not in London, does it get played elsewhere?  I think I shall start playing it myself.  An all time favourite.  Also never hear Pamela Beatty Talking Eyes, absolute floor clearer.  I love it.

link

Both get spins Stuart our very own cuddly Rimmer Man David has been known to occasionally spin the Casualeers. And i have seen the Gene Woodbury appear on a few playlists recently :thumbsup:

Social source share

I'll start with two:

Landslide - Tony Clarke

WOOF!

link

:thumbsup:

You know what !

Some soulies don't realise that the Casualeers on Roulette is a rare-ish 45 to own.

The one that brings a smile to my face is :-

Wydner K Frog - Green Door :thumbsup:

Social source share

Yeah i know :thumbsup:

WKF always reminds me of Brian Rae at Congleton Town hall back in the 70's scary........

Trouty

link

The lovely Brian :thumbsup: .....Awwww!

How is he?

0ac20960.jpg

Social source share

Guest micksmith

I'll start with two:

Landslide - Tony Clarke

WOOF!

link

TONY CLARKE BLOODY GREAT-THINK I'LL PLAY THAT SATURDAY-DON'T THINK IT IS A PLAYED OUT OLDIE.

WONDER WHO FIRST FOUND IT AND WHAT SHOP IN DETROIT IN '73.

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Both get spins Stuart our very own cuddly Rimmer Man David has been known to occasionally spin the Casualeers. And i have seen the Gene Woodbury appear on a few playlists recently  :thumbsup:

link

Cuddly? :o I'm afraid that I've never really liked it, find it a bit lightweight. I can't remember hearing Gene Woodbury since about 1989 but I do have a very poor memory. If I remember correctly.

TONY CLARKE BLOODY GREAT-THINK I'LL PLAY THAT SATURDAY-DON'T THINK IT IS A PLAYED OUT OLDIE.

WONDER WHO FIRST FOUND IT AND WHAT SHOP IN DETROIT IN '73.

link

Was it a very handsome golfing enthusiast with a moustache?

Social source share

[bunny Sigler....Girl dont make me wait.

Always takes me back to 1975 with a BIG smile]

Definitely heard that played recently, but can't remember where, might have been TOS, SITC, probably not the Dome.

Good dance record.

link

Si Bridger spun it at the last alldayer I think

Social source share

Just guessin' but here goes...

Guitar Red - 'Share Your Love'

The Determinations - 'Bing Bong'

Rock Candy - 'Alone With No Love'

Jackie Beavers - 'Tryin' To Get Back To You'

She Devil - 'She Devil'

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Has`nt Dave Rimmer been hammering this at every oppotunity for at least the last 2 years?

Dave must be the most booked DJ in the country by the way, discuss?

Chris

link

At least Chris :thumbsup: i was being tactful

Social source share

Rock Candy/ Contemplations still current I thought.

I gave Glories-Give Me My Freedom a spin at Shoes a few weeks back and had people saying they hadn't heard it in years

link

I don't go to nighters now, just guessing Andy haha. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Just guessin' but here goes...

Guitar Red - 'Share Your Love'

The Determinations - 'Bing Bong'

Rock Candy - 'Alone With No Love'

Jackie Beavers - 'Tryin' To Get Back To You'

She Devil - 'She Devil'

link

At least three of those still reasonabley current Mr Hotttttt

Social source share

Rock Candy/ Contemplations still current I thought.

link

I played the Contemplations at the last 100.

and someone played Rock Candy very lately (only knew it was RC coz i was by the decks and I was in conversation with somepone about no difference between the 2, even RC has the contemplation label number in the run-out. I can remeber all that but cant remember who played it or where I was. Unless it was TOS, could have been Gene maybe. Think I'll get my coat...)

Social source share

I'll start with two:

Landslide - Tony Clarke

WOOF!

link

Barbara McNair - It Happens Every Time

The Originals - Tear It On Down

just two I've been listening to today off Tamla Mowtown Connoisseurs Vol.2, they made me smile :thumbsup:

Social source share

i play the determinations  bing bong at the greatstone hotel fairly regularly

mark

link

Great topic this one. jump started my memory cells.............

On the subject of Wynder K Frog, does anyone remember the title of an L.P that it was on ?, I can remember, but do you ?.

Other out of favours :

Mary Seanz ... Would she do that for you ... Big Ben

The Nightwatch ... The lips to your heart ... ABC

Dee Edwards ... Loving you is all I wanna do .... Cotilion

Chiffons ... Nobody knows whats going on ...Laurie

Spooky & Sue ... I got the need ... Negram

What price on a Spooky & Sue original nowadays, I've had one since 79, never see it for sale......

John

Social source share

Great topic this one. jump started my memory cells.............

On the subject of Wynder K Frog, does anyone remember the title of an L.P that it was on ?, I can remember, but do you ?.

Other out of favours :

Mary Seanz ... Would she do that for you ... Big Ben

The Nightwatch ... The lips to your heart ... ABC

Dee Edwards ... Loving you is all I wanna do .... Cotilion

Chiffons ... Nobody knows whats going on ...Laurie

Spooky & Sue ... I got the need ... Negram 

What price on a Spooky & Sue original nowadays, I've had one since 79, never see it for sale......

John

link

Was the LP called "Out of the frying Pan" ???????

Social source share

Has`nt Dave Rimmer been hammering this at every oppotunity for at least the last 2 years?

Dave must be the most booked DJ in the country by the way, discuss?

Chris

link

The Caualeers is my favourite Wigan record, and if you actually listen to it, rather than dismissing it as a Disco Demand release, it really is a quite stunning piece of male group Soul.

Following on from what Shute said about it being quite hard on Roulette, I know a copy went through Ebay earlier this year for over £200.

Most booked DJ ? Possibly, I have averaged over 50 bookings every year for the last three years, and already have 33 for 2005 in my diary. I probably do the most miles because I don't tend to have bookings concentrated in the West Midlands where I now live, but might be in Scotland one weekend, and Wales the next, then London, then Yorkshire etc etc. Other candidates would have to be Roger Banks, all over the place every weekend, Derek Allen, DJing somewhere near you this weekend if you live in the East or West Midlands, and Carl Willingham, again all over the place but centred in the North West. Mick H, picked up several residencies recently, so they all add to the numbers.

Almost certainly I work the hardest in getting to venues because I don't own a car

Social source share

Guest biggray1

The Caualeers is my favourite Wigan record, and if you actually listen to it, rather than dismissing it as a Disco Demand release, it really is a quite stunning piece of male group Soul.

Following on from what Shute said about it being quite hard on Roulette, I know a copy went through Ebay earlier this year for over £200.

Most booked DJ ? Possibly, I have averaged over 50 bookings every year for the last three years, and already have 33 for 2005 in my diary. I probably do the most miles because I don't tend to have bookings concentrated in the West Midlands where I now live, but might be in Scotland one weekend, and Wales the next, then London, then Yorkshire etc etc. Other candidates would have to be Roger Banks, all over the place every weekend, Derek Allen, DJing somewhere near you this weekend if you live in the East or West Midlands, and Carl Willingham, again all over the place but centred in the North West. Mick H, picked up several residencies recently, so they all add to the numbers.

Almost certainly I work the hardest in getting to venues because I don't own a car

link

Well after reading that its HATS OFF TO DAVE RIMMER! TOP DJ AND TOP MAN!

Social source share

I played the Contemplations at the last 100.

and someone played Rock Candy very lately (only knew it was RC coz i was by the decks and I was in conversation with somepone about no difference between the 2, even RC has the contemplation label number in the run-out. I can remeber all that but cant remember who played it or where I was. Unless it was TOS, could have been Gene maybe. Think I'll get my coat...)

link

Rock Candy "Alone" is the Contemplations. Rock Candy recorded the other side and had nothing to put on the flip so they stuck the Contemplations on there and changed their name to Rock Candy.

Social source share

And a great flipside too in Love (Your pain goes deep).

One I heard played recently which I havn't heard for ages was Sleepless Nights by Paris , what great vocals.Allways wanted to know who the lead singer was on this does anyone out there know who it was?

Social source share

I never seem to hear the following played anywhere:

Frank Beverly & The Butlers - If That's What You Wanted

Gets played enough in the midlands.

Saxie Russell, Psychedelic Soul is one that makes me smile, and Lilie Bryant, Meet Me Halfway did when I heard it on Saturday.

Nancy Wilson, End of Our Love would do if I heard it played out too!

And was Black Nasty, Cut Your Motor Off such a terrible record that nobody dare speak it's name anymore?

Social source share

And what about Exciters, Blowing Up My Mind :thumbsup:

link

I allways remember this off the Jumping at the Go Go Lp I had when I was about 18 or 19 , actually knew all the words to it but struggling to remember them now.

" Its like sitting in an oven after turning on the gas , and then lighting up a cigarette just how long can I last"

Brilliant! :thumbsup:

Social source share

I allways remember this off the Jumping at the Go Go Lp I had when I was about 18 or 19 , actually knew all the words to it but struggling to remember them now.

" Its like sitting in an oven after turning on the gas , and then lighting up a cigarette just how long can I last"

Brilliant! whistling.gif

link

Absolutely, mate!

Just dusted off that very LP and given it a spin :thumbup:

Think I will try to get it played somewhere this weekend, perhaps Samanthas if I make it there.

Would be rather appropriate as the sleeve notes say it was discovered by Dave Godin.

Respect.

Social source share

Wyder K Frog Ive got the LP, got it from a second hand shop in grimsby for a pound, must be 25 years ago, Its on United Artists but there no track listing on the lable, were they all like that??? whistling.gif

Social source share

Wynder K Frog did a wicked version of the Spencer Davis thing; "I'm a man". Used to be a Wheel spin, as of course did "Green Door".

Searling was the first DJ I heard playing Landslide (Va Va 73). Suspect that Levine had it earlier though.

I've always loved the Casualeers track. Made a huge an immediate impact when it first hit the scene. Just like "Rhino", it was no grower - instantly massive.

Ooooh - that's an idea for another thread perhaps? Instantly massive records? Which one went biggest fastest?

Edited by Dayo
Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Gets played enough in the midlands.

Saxie Russell, Psychedelic Soul is one that makes me smile, and Lilie Bryant, Meet Me Halfway did when I heard it on Saturday.

Nancy Wilson, End of Our Love would do if I heard it played out too!

And was Black Nasty, Cut Your Motor Off such a terrible record that nobody dare speak it's name anymore?

link

Love em all Dave lad but Black Nasty is a tune sadly can't see it fitting in with most peoples taste at the moment though eh???

And what about Exciters, Blowing Up My Mind :thumbup:

link

Love that too whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Dont mention that song J1T will jump down your throat

link

Not at all touchy whistling.gif it's just not Xover this is where it deserves to be talked about - forgotten Oldies 'kin Great record IMVFHO

Social source share

I don't get around much, but you don't often hear any Doctor Buzzard, do you?

Were those the campest tracks ever played on the scene?

That prompts me to mention a couple of other Mecca faves I haven't heard in yonks:

Pierre Hunt - Got to have all your love

Look lets make love (Crikey, minds gone blank - who did that? -Sydney Someone?)

Also recall an album track by SSO (?) "Can't say no" (?)

All sounded good at the time, possibly considered crap disco now.

Social source share

I don't get around much, but you don't often hear any Doctor Buzzard, do you?

link

Dr Buzzard - Ill play the fool , one of my wifes favourites. I have not heard this played since I was about 16 and wouldnt be bothered if I ever heard it again.Its absolute shite. whistling.gif

Edited by CRAIG W
Social source share

Funny you should say that Craig, but the only time I took my wife to Blackpool Mecca, it must have been Dr. Buzzard week coz Queen Levine was spinning 3 tracks all bloody night. She loved 'em and made me buy the album. I'm proud to say that, whilst it is still in my collection, it has not been played in almost 30 years. Long may it stay that way!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!