Uk Grapevine Pre-Release Acetates - Which Releases? How Many?

Pretty certain this subject has been dissected many times before but a cursory run through soul source and the internet beyond didn't show up anything.

The UK Grapevine label run by John Anderson of Soul Bowl, Kings Lynn fame released 49 singles between the years 1977 - 1980.

I personally bought many of them as new releases from Woods record store in Bradford at the time.

However I can distinctly recall seeing Kev Joss (a well known geezer from the North East at the time) carrying summat like a Grapevine pre-release white label promo acetate with hand written credits - might have even been 10" or single sided? - across the record bar of a well known club in Wigan.

I was immediately impressed and slightly jealous.

Has anybody got any label scans to help ease my curious mind.

Does anybody know (or seen a list of) which Grapevine releases got this pre-release acetate treatment?

Numbers wise I suspect only a couple o' dozen of each acetate were made and distributed out to influential taste makers of the day.

Derek

Social source share

• Replies 3
  • Views 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Pretty certain this subject has been dissected many times before but a cursory run through soul source and the internet beyond didn't show up anything.

The UK Grapevine label run by John Anderson of Soul Bowl, Kings Lynn fame released 49 singles between the years 1977 - 1980.

I personally bought many of them as new releases from Woods record store in Bradford at the time.

However I can distinctly recall seeing Kev Joss (a well known geezer from the North East at the time) carrying summat like a Grapevine pre-release white label promo acetate with hand written credits - might have even been 10" or single sided? - across the record bar of a well known club in Wigan.

I was immediately impressed and slightly jealous.

Has anybody got any label scans to help ease my curious mind.

Does anybody know (or seen a list of) which Grapevine releases got this pre-release acetate treatment?

Numbers wise I suspect only a couple o' dozen of each acetate were made and distributed out to influential taste makers of the day.

Derek

Hi Derek

Hope alls good - 2 of the albums acetates and 2 45s , from same source at the same venue ....

Best tfk

Edited by tfk
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!