Albums That Never Were

Following on from Mal C's Ernest Baker thread, and the US practice of putting on 45s "from a forthcoming album"*, I wonder whether we've ever got a list of mouthwatering ALBUMS THAT NEVER WERE.

*A to garner interest, and B sometimes because they'd recorded enough tracks for an album and would put one out if the 45 sold.

So to kick off then Mal C offers Ernest Baker "Alone again" (Blue SOul)

I'd start with:

Jesse Fisher "Honey" (SoJamm) LP "I can't stop loving you"

Tierra "Just Loving you" LP "Great love".........

Social source share

• Replies 29
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Following on from Mal C's Ernest Baker thread, and the US practice of putting on 45s "from a forthcoming album"*, I wonder whether we've ever got a list of mouthwatering ALBUMS THAT NEVER WERE.

*A to garner interest, and B sometimes because they'd recorded enough tracks for an album and would put one out if the 45 sold.

So to kick off then Mal C offers Ernest Baker "Alone again" (Blue SOul)

I'd start with:

Jesse Fisher "Honey" (SoJamm) LP "I can't stop loving you"

Tierra "Just Loving you" LP "Great love".........

The Emotions' Volt LP "Songs Of Innocence And Experience" was given a catalogue number (VOA 6021) and even got as far as having covers printed (you can view a black and white version on the girls' website), but the record was never pressed or even mastered). Most of its contents eventually either appeared on singles, or the 1976 reborn Stax album "Sunshine" (and on the "Songs Of Innocence And Experience" CD I compiled for Kent about a year ago!)...

TONE :thumbsup:

Social source share

I seem to have a vague recollection of a Tommy Tate interview where he stated that 25,000 copies of a Tommy Tate KoKo lp were pressed just as Stax hit financial meltdown, and were shelved. I wonder if any survived? presumably this lp would have included If You Got To Love Somebody and A Mighty Long Way.

Also, if Tony Troutman had recorded as many albums as were trailered on his 45s he would be one of the most prolific soul artists of all time.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I seem to have a vague recollection of a Tommy Tate interview where he stated that 25,000 copies of a Tommy Tate KoKo lp were pressed just as Stax hit financial meltdown, and were shelved. I wonder if any survived? presumably this lp would have included If You Got To Love Somebody and A Mighty Long Way.

Hi Gareth,

Methinks Tommy might have been offering a bit of 'wishful thinking' here.There's no evidence in the Stax files that such a thing was ever pressed - although, as we know, there were enough tracks recorded to complie a bloody good one - and I can't find any record of a number being allocated to a Tate album.

Also, unless I'm mistaken, Johnny Baylor had already taken KoKo's distribution away from Stax, by the time the company imploded in '75....

TONE

PS: But while I'm on here, surely the greatest of all "Albums That Never Were" must be the unissued third ABC album of Lamont Dozier. Richard Searling has one side of it on acetate, and the tapes are still in the Universal vaults.

And on the subject of Lamont, how many Invictus/Hot Wax/Music Merchant albums were scheduled and scrapped along the way? There's the Just Brothers, for one, and a rumoured Blossoms album from which only "Touch Me Jesus" was issued - as by the Glass House!

Social source share

Oh.... and it's my belief that the Sandra Wright LP on Demon is the first vinyl issue of these tracks other than the "Midnight Affair" / "Wonded Woman" Truth 45.

Sandra has had other LP releases though in recent years in the shape of the "Shake You Down" LP and the "After Hours" LP.

Sean Hampsey

Social source share

Sorry about that!

Mark, I have the Ron Keith LP, from memory its more of a test presing...the front cover is a picture of a recording studio in true mid 70s style!

There are no other standout tracks but it does contain "Gotta go be what you tell me"....again from memory the label is Kendun.....

I`ll check all thye details if needed when i get home.......

Chris

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Oh.... and it's my belief that the Sandra Wright LP on Demon is the first vinyl issue of these tracks other than the "Midnight Affair" / "Wonded Woman" Truth 45.

...Absolutely "wright", mate - this, of course, is another "was going to be a Stax LP" that was never allocated a number and/or never mastered...

TONE :unsure:

Social source share

Hi Chris,

The Sy Hightower LP with "I Wonder Why" etc did not come out... but.... a little known fact... there was another Sy Hightower LP with different tracks that did gain a release.

Sean Hampsey

It's one side of an LP, the other side has never been found....

Add in Bill Brandon's second Prelude Lp - another "one sider" test press.

Social source share

ive never seen the lp mentioned on this 45.....if only to replace my knackered 45..judging by the b side it would be dire disco or tracks like this.....(girly ...amateurish....super....) imho of course whistling.gif

Yeah, i have this 45 too - wierd 70's femme dancer - summat to do with James Bynum i was told? No LP ever came out i reckon?

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Sorry about that!

Mark, I have the Ron Keith LP, from memory its more of a test presing...the front cover is a picture of a recording studio in true mid 70s style!

There are no other standout tracks but it does contain "Gotta go be what you tell me"....again from memory the label is Kendun.....

I`ll check all thye details if needed when i get home.......

Chris

Thanks Chris.

Also, i recently picked up a test pressing of a Soloman Burke LP on Amhurst (containing "Please don`t say goodbye") . Never seen it before. I wonder if anyone knows if it got an official release.

Mark Houghton

Social source share

Hi Steve,

I know that mate, but there was another, totally different Sy Hightower LP ISSUED.

Little known fact.

:yes:

Sean

Yes it was a couple of years later - had several people ask if it was the same one I had etc....anyway hope all is well Sean.

Steve

Social source share

Oscar Perry - Yellow Horizon???? Sure the releases said from the forthcoming album. Never seen one?

Sorry to hi-jack your post, but... I've noticed I've got the 3 posts and trying to get 'm all, ha-ha-ha, are there any 60's examples of this kind?, maybe some of those oddball Spanish EP's?

Sorry Robin as you were.

Social source share

And on the subject of Lamont, how many Invictus/Hot Wax/Music Merchant albums were scheduled and scrapped along the way? There's the Just Brothers, for one, and a rumoured Blossoms album from which only "Touch Me Jesus" was issued - as by the Glass House!

George Clinton "The Black Vampire", was listed in the schwann record catalog.

100 Proof Aged In Soul "Deliciously Yours" (not sure where I heard of this...)

Barrino Brothers "I Shall Not Be Moved"

Honey Cone "When Will It End"

Sweet Rock s/t

Brotherly Love s/t

There could be more ....

Edited by LarsC
Social source share

Sorry to hi-jack your post, but... I've noticed I've got the 3 posts and trying to get 'm all, ha-ha-ha, are there any 60's examples of this kind?, maybe some of those oddball Spanish EP's?

Sorry Robin as you were.

There probably are a few but remember in the 60's the vinyl of choice was the 45.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!