Instrumentals

Guest Bearsy

Bore the life out of me as I can't sing along to them. No soul just a beat. Thankfully I don't hear them out often but am aware they was a major part of the scene back in the day.

Was talking to someone the other day about this and they would love to hear more played at events.

More or less what's your thoughts ?

Social source share

• Replies 353
  • Views 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

one, maybe two per set is about right for me, i love instrumental music as much as I love voices, do they have soul? well, I can remember Frank ellison articles that bored me to tears on the subject, all I'll say can you honestly, hand on heart say this doesnt have soul?????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0MopHto_So

Edited by geeselad
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

one, maybe two per set is about right for me, i love instrumental music as much as I love voices, do they have soul? well, I can remember Frank ellison articles that bored me to tears on the subject, all I'll say can you honestly, hand on heart say this doesnt have soul?????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0MopHto_So

Hand on heart Geese it sounds bloody awful to me and totally soulless. For me soul comes from the voice, the emotion the pain the love etc etc etc

this sounds like a tune that is played along to a silent movie where Charlie chaplain is being chased by the key stone cops which are played by laurel and hardy lol

Social source share

Bore the life out of me as I can't sing along to them. No soul just a beat. Thankfully I don't hear them out often but am aware they was a major part of the scene back in the day.

Was talking to someone the other day about this and they would love to hear more played at events.

Here's one you can sing along to, but to be honest, these guys make their instruments sing....

Earl Van Dyke - Gonna Give Her All The Love I Got

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHk68hH2qxM&feature=share&list=TLWM5wGcj7scL6BVc5n2sdKeYCS9Xb1yv7

Social source share

Hi Bearsy

On the subject of instrumentals i always throw in a FUNK instrumental in not a Northern 1 as the Funk is better imho  :yes:

atb Kev  :hatsoff2:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Next time we are out,we'll make some lyrics up to suit. :wink:

Edited by KevH
Social source share

We always used to play quality instrumentals at Burnley. Just as with vocal records there are good instrumentals and terrible ones.

Back in the day they were massive, and I still much prefer the instrumental versions to the classics like, Exus Trek, Breakaway, Rosemary What Happened etc.

Karl used to play Gentleman June Gardner and follow it with Bo jr. both superb atmospheric records. The place used to go mental. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Sean Haydon

Hand on heart Geese it sounds bloody awful to me and totally soulless. For me soul comes from the voice, the emotion the pain the love etc etc etc

this sounds like a tune that is played along to a silent movie where Charlie chaplain is being chased by the key stone cops which are played by laurel and hardy lol

The Sax is the vocal Bearsy

Social source share

...The Champion...Law of the Land-Alfie Kahn...Hawaii 5-0 The Champs....were among the first Soul instrumentals I heard in 1975. Along with Bok to Back...The Spy....and other 'classics'. I considered them 'northern' danceable music!!x I had been used to instrumentals as a kid. Me mam had a Shanana and some Shadows LP's......and as a result I have over 100 45's in me collection from acrooss the board today. It is the music that makes your body move....and a voice...or a trumpet...orpiano....can 'grab' you just the same! How many tracks 'kick off'...before a word is spoken...and folk hit the floor at the 'rallying' call!!! Hopes N Dreams...that mouth organ starts.....job done!! So it's the music first....or just as important...as any voice i've heard...I feel!x

LUV
SOOTY
X

The 1 track that has confused me is this....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQ1Fb4JsRZE

...whenever I played it....'hard core' who danced to the instrumental in the 70's...said the singing din't exist?!x I could never have played the instru without the singing on this one!!...that's if it existed?! It did on my copy!!!x?!

EDIT...the first ever instrumental I remember which I identified with as Northern was Green Onions....Booker T. I didn't know it...but remembered hearing it at Grimsby Town during half time when i;d have been 11ish!! I liked it then....and still do all these years later...and perhaps prepared me for Northern instrumentals nicely....!x

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQgftmOeK_c

Edited by SOOTY
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

When they are great they are really great imho. Voicemasters acetate, Kinettes, Exus Trek...the Detroit one that used to be played at the Capitol. Amazing records. The idea that a record has to have lyrics to be soulful suggests a misunderstanding of the music.

Edited by corbett80
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I'm an inst fan & always have been.

Harlem Rumble would be there or thereabouts number 1 for me,along with On The Brink & Guy's old Lord Thunder C/U (Blockbusters-Muddy pt2).

I must admit I usually go for the vocal side if there is one above the inst side,Boogie Man Orch springs to mind although the inst side sounds great out the vocal side just blows it away.Just to contradict myself I've just bought a Contemplations-Alone With No Love Dontee although I had a Rock Candy copy but that's the only way you can get the inst & what a corker it is.

Should they be played..........of course they should.The argument shouldn't be about there soul content the argument should be is "Northern" a dance scene first or soul scene?

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Can remember Morecambe Pier in the 70s, long before the nighters came along.  Parking the scooter up, grabbing a few pints on the Barbary coast before engaging in cultural and diplomatic incidents with the hordes of Glaswegians down for the annual Glasgow Fair holiday. The prom usually being a battlefield with the light bulbs from the annual illuminations being the Scottish greeting of choice. Shaking the broken glass from the parka hood and getting to the pier in one piece was always a result.  It usually kicked off again big time inside, with fire extinguishers and chairs flying instead of light bulbs.  I always associate The Penguin Break Down and Bok to Back with those nights. Maybe the Scots really didn't like instrumentals either  :thumbsup:

Taff

Edited by Saxafone
Social source share

...The Champion...Law of the Land-Alfie Kahn...Hawaii 5-0 The Champs....were among the first Soul instrumentals I heard in 1975. Along with Bok to Back...The Spy....and other 'classics'. I considered them 'northern' danceable music!!x I had been used to instrumentals as a kid. Me mam had a Shanana and some Shadows LP's......and as a result I have over 100 45's in me collection from acrooss the board today. It is the music that makes your body move....and a voice...or a trumpet...orpiano....can 'grab' you just the same! How many tracks 'kick off'...before a word is spoken...and folk hit the floor at the 'rallying' call!!! Hopes N Dreams...that mouth organ starts.....job done!! So it's the music first....or just as important...as any voice i've heard...I feel!x

LUV

SOOTY

X

The 1 track that has confused me is this....

...whenever I played it....'hard core' who danced to the instrumental in the 70's...said the singing din't exist?!x I could never have played the instru without the singing on this one!!...that's if it existed?! It did on my copy!!!x?!

EDIT...the first ever instrumental I remember which I identified with as Northern was Green Onions....Booker T. I didn't know it...but remembered hearing it at Grimsby Town during half time when i;d have been 11ish!! I liked it then....and still do all these years later...and perhaps prepared me for Northern instrumentals nicely....!x

Sooty

If you are looking for the best version (imo) of Green Onions get Righteous Brothers Band (played it out last Saturday,sounded great)

Cheers

Martyn

Edited by hullsoul
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Sooty

If you are looking for the best version (imo) of Green Onions get Righteous Brothers Band (played it out last Saturday,sounded great)

Cheers

Martyn

Not heard this before ,need to give it a couple of listens ,interesting tho  :g:

Bazza   :hatsoff2:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

We always used to play quality instrumentals at Burnley. Just as with vocal records there are good instrumentals and terrible ones.

Back in the day they were massive, and I still much prefer the instrumental versions to the classics like, Exus Trek, Breakaway, Rosemary What Happened etc.

Me too (except Rosemary)

Social source share

Sooty

Cheers

Martyn

......!!!!! DAAAAADDDDD.....u must be.....it's in the generooves!! I played at me Soul Nights but daren't take it 'national' at the time as 'newbies' were telling me it wos pop.....ARGHHHHHHH!!!!x TUUUNE Martyn!!!x

@@

~

LUV

SOOTY

X

....I had 1 ultra hard core Soulie....he was adamant instrumentals ain;t Soul.......except for Bari Track.....????!!! He will go unananed....but he taught me all I knew about new stuff back in 1993...or laid the foundations for me!!!x Shifty.....another 'Soul boy' who loved his singing...he also LOVED playing it when he kicked off playing at A/Ns....! Don't get me wrong...I love em all...but why has this trak become a Bari for everyone???!!!??x

@@

~

• Helpful 1
Social source share

...another one which I found 'forgotten' in the 90's was one that perhaps got more exposure in the 60's undergound as opposed to the 70's? I played it a few times as it was on me tapes! £1 at boot sales...B side of Soul Finger...which is as listenable too!x

LUV

SOOTY

X

Wheel tune...........and regularly played in M's 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I don't like em and don't get em.

Peter

:wicked:

Social source share

I've always like instrumentals, well some of them . This always reminds me of the mid-80s

Along with The Michigan Move and alternate Back Street.

That's an awesome instrumental. Hitsville Chalky on here went in the studio with Pat Lewis and put a vocal to this track 2 years or so ago.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I've always like instrumentals, well some of them . This always reminds me of the mid-80s

Along with  Michigan Move and alternate Back Street.

p.s. notice they call it the Detroit Strings but there aren't any strings on the record  :lol:  should have called it The Detroit Brass

• Helpful 1
Social source share

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kSzXRyduKM

(Billy Preston - Billy's bag)

....ARRRRGHHHH...memories BSB!!!x In me first colloection purchase...I obtained about 10/12 'Sue' British records. It was before me first ever DJ spot Northern wise. Allme records before as a normal DJ had middles in 'em. Now...for the first time...the majorty didn't....so for ease of DJing purposes....yeah....I pushed out Billy's Bag...and 10 others from that 'series'....!!!!! Poo!!x I think Jackie Day's Before It's too Late was in ther too...?! Thanx for reminding me....hehe!!x

@@

~

LUV

SOOTY

X

'Ere Ted....I was blown away when hearing that Bird Walkin'....with a 'voice'....after knowing it since 1975-1993 as an instru!!x I remember it as yesterday.....ahhh I sez to meself at me first 100club....I know this...first 1 of the night!!! Kept on the floor...then the voice!!!! Done me head in!!!x But...the memory I have of this forever now is this...i'm sorry to say!! Butch left me with it at the 100club 1 night........I luv'd it....as said....and as he refused to say who t was when I asked him.....I said when taking over...'Thanx to Butch and his Aunty singing Bird Walkin'....! He copped the nark with me...or I assumed based on his look he gave me!!!x My minibus crew took the storyup T'norf...Fudge telling everyone I said it was Butch's Nanna singing.......stirring tw****t....banter???!!! Jeeezzzz.....hehe!x

@@

~

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!