Guest Bearsy

• Replies 353
  • Views 18.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

As a young lad used to love this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEo2Cbj2dKg

....I took that back to a kids home among a dozen records me mate lent me in '77. Pain In My Heart The Poppies...Youre Ready Now...Silvetti....was among em....and it echoed around the gym on this record player as 4 or 5 of me mates listened.....AWESOME Russ!!x

I used this as a 'link' in credits on the forthcoming DVD...one of me all time Northern instru's....and only got it about 8 years ago.....so ain;t played it at a Northern doo yet!!! Poo!!!x

@@

~

LUV

SOOTY

X

...this will 'echo'  around any room too....I reckon...!x

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsdE3zwfTqU

Social source share

I'm afraid I have to disagree with this Daz, it's a bastard to tell if you don't know, one of the ten hardest

I have looked at them side by side, the boot is flexible vinyl, bevelled edge and wide run out, these were noted even before I looked at matrix and label. I am sure i can tell just by holding one if its real or not now.

Social source share

I think The Rumblers must have been the Downey Studio band?  Or at least doubled up on stuff. Have a listen....

Regards,

Dave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkbQRRmSWcs

...it's sounds from  a similar stable Dave...and I hadn't heard that track!!x Nice 1!x

Here's another instru that most Soulies must have danced too in their time...as kids at least....I did!!x

@@

~

LUV

SOOTY

X

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj23_nDFSfE

Social source share

IMO many mix up proper instrumentals and instrumentals that are just backing tracks of well known Northern Soul records. I really like the proper ones whereas the latter ones don't do it for me most of the time.

Don't know if this was already posted but it's one of my top favourite proper instrumentals. They hardly can get better than this one. Chaumonts - Now you've gone.

Social source share

Just one of those "you had to be there moments".. heard it first at St. Ives, when I'd stopped buzzing I dashed up to the stage and shouted at the DJ (John Vincent I think) "What was that?"...he shouted back "The Sparkles - New Jersey Pike"!...I still argue with Flynny (who's far too young for that :) ) as he swears it was covered up as "The Sprinkles"!

Social source share

the other side of waymond hall got some plays of late im sure.

the other side of waymond hall got some plays of late im sure.

And Funky 8 Corners-Willie and the Mighty Magnificents. Also frankie Crocker. (i haven't read all the thread so apologies if these have been mentioned by the time you get to this post).

Social source share

Hand on heart Geese it sounds bloody awful to me and totally soulless. For me soul comes from the voice, the emotion the pain the love etc etc etc

this sounds like a tune that is played along to a silent movie where Charlie chaplain is being chased by the key stone cops which are played by laurel and hardy lol

that might make a great video, lol, but bearsy I'm mystified why, for some, soul has to be attatched to the human voice, as plaintive as it can be, certain instruments, strings, horns, guitar, piano can all resonate just as deeply. i just heard Miles Davis, 'summertime' on R2, again if thats not soul oozing from horn, what the hell is it? you'll proper think I've lost the plot now! but just listen to it, and that sound he creates makes me ache in a way that just means soul to me. otis had it, janis had it, Jimmi Hendrix and billy holliday, christ even lou reed had soul. Its not a genre for me its a feeling. and you cant attatch it to a style date or even the human voice. :hatsoff2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh2QN1OoXvg

Edited by geeselad
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Oh no :facepalm:  I wondered how long it would be before Billy fookin' Arnell turned up....a pet hate of mine ever simnce someone at Reading All Dayer played the vocal side.....Hi Jerry, hope you are well!

Discovered in Watford, and big in the south as well the only good things I can say about it.....

I've never been a fan, it always reminded me of the Marine Boy theme. 

Actually having just listened to it, Marine Boy that is, I think that Marine Boy is much the better track, although still truely awful. Now, where's my Oxy-gum

https://youtu.be/8ujZZUjovDs

• Helpful 3
Social source share

More BH and Y magic.  

MAHOOSIVE mid 70s for about a month.  Great record.  :thumbsup:

Regards,

Dave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejrWHEsyS40

Dave, the vocal was big mid 70s, played off the LP.

This was big earlier. more or less soon after it was a new release.

Someone said in another post, the surprice on some peoples faces when no vocal comes in.

While I had the same surprice when the vocal did come in, when Sam played "HBTN" at a nighter in 75. :)

Social source share

Someone said in another post, the surprice on some peoples faces when no vocal comes in.

While I had the same surprice when the vocal did come in, when Sam played "HBTN" at a nighter in 75. :)

Remember Scrub Board distinctly as one of the first "Northern" records I ever bought!  It was on the B side of something, "Zing" maybe?  So that was around for maybe a year and then someone found the vocal on the LP and it became so popular that they put it out as a single, and "Scrub Board" was forgotten.  

Social source share

I wasn't around in '72 but distinctly remember the instr being massive a little later too. Must have had a second wind...

Regards,

Dave

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I know it sounds cheesey now Pete, but back then I thought it was fantastic. Same goes for Susy's Serenade. No one will admit to liking it, but it was massive back in the day. Oh and Bubblegum Breakthrough, Footsee, Brown Sugar etc, etc.

Ps. Just remembered one that was huge and I've never heard it since the seventies. Van McCoy- Soul Improvisations pt.1. I used to bloody love that at the Mecca.

Hey Phil how are you,good I hope. I'm in total agreement, Instrumentals were massive back in the day, Mike Post - Afternoon, was hugh & rammed the dancefloor. I still love em but it wasn't about being Soulful, it was the dance beat & the handclapping that brought them alive. I understand what Bearsy means, I dislike R&B but there's exceptions to this rule. I still love to hear Mike & Ike - Sax on the trax, Mike Post - Bubblegum & Total Eclipse - 6 O'Clock plus Afternoon still raises the hairs on my neck. I must say that Sam's new "Prove yourself a lady" although not bad isn't a patch on the vocal & sounds great when sang along with your own wording in your head. The problem was that the infamous Simon tried turning everything into an instrumental,as did others & it basically killed it. We all loved & danced to a lot of stuff we're reluctant to admit to nowadays. :shhh:  

Spot. :shades: 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

So many instrumentals I used to love but have got bored with over the years, but one that still does it for me

Just makes me think of sun shine, open top motor and cruising

Booker T "Time Is Tight"

Social source share

So many instrumentals I used to love but have got bored with over the years, but one that still does it for me

Just makes me think of sun shine, open top motor and cruising

Booker T "Time Is Tight"

Makes me think of school circa 1973-75, everyone gathering round a tiny transistor radio at 12.30 (I think) to listen to the new top 30 countdown, which of course used this as it's background theme.

Social source share

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccbmIswoEDM

Roy Lee Johnson - Boogaloo No. 3

More or less instrumental ,great one ,never played now   :yes:

Bazza   :hatsoff2:

Hey up Bazza gud to see you posting again, still out & about throwing some shapes I hope. This is very E. Rodney Jones & I love his stuff also, as Shorny said earlier in the thread, "The Sax is the voice". :thumbup:  :hatsoff2: 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hey Phil how are you,good I hope. I'm in total agreement, Instrumentals were massive back in the day, Mike Post - Afternoon, was hugh & rammed the dancefloor. I still love em but it wasn't about being Soulful, it was the dance beat & the handclapping that brought them alive. I understand what Bearsy means, I dislike R&B but there's exceptions to this rule. I still love to hear Mike & Ike - Sax on the trax, Mike Post - Bubblegum & Total Eclipse - 6 O'Clock plus Afternoon still raises the hairs on my neck. I must say that Sam's new "Prove yourself a lady" although not bad isn't a patch on the vocal & sounds great when sang along with your own wording in your head. The problem was that the infamous Simon tried turning everything into an instrumental,as did others & it basically killed it. We all loved & danced to a lot of stuff we're reluctant to admit to nowadays. :shhh:  

Ey up Pete, I'm very well thank you, hope all is well with you.

I agree, the instrumental can purvey that special something that sends you rushing to the dance floor just as much as a vocal record can. Butch's Sound of Philadelphia springs to mind.

Best regards, Phil.

Edited by Quinvy
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert