instros for me  just like vocals are about taste

if the tune moves me it just does

if it aint gotta vocal and it grabs me, it just grabs me

if you get me

so to me instumentals can have loads of soul

i know what i mean

Edited by gaz thomas
Social source share

Bore the life out of me as I can't sing along to them. No soul just a beat. Thankfully I don't hear them out often but am aware they was a major part of the scene back in the day.

Was talking to someone the other day about this and they would love to hear more played at events.

More or less what's your thoughts ?

Same number please. Always been part of the scene. Very fond of Supertime despite it's origins, Double Cookin', The Champion and dozens of other quality dancers. Mind you, although I like The Joker, I'm not sure it should be played out six times at an all-nighter as it was at Wigan March 1974 - Russ in Radio 1 DJ mode...
Social source share

This is probably the very type of tune Bearsy would hate,,,,,,,apart from the fact that it never gets played out.........but I really like it! :)

Wash your ears out son lol

Seriously I quite like it Maark its got something about it ;-)

Social source share

Guest gaz thomas

Wash your ears out son lol

Seriously I quite like it Maark its got something about it ;-)

i think its amazing and soulful

funny thing

bearsys said he didnt like instrumentals

then got 6 pages of them

laff my arse off

Edited by gaz thomas
Social source share

Guest gaz thomas

I wouldn't go that far but yes its a goodun ;-)

at least you liked one of them ........

Edited by gaz thomas
Social source share

Guest gaz thomas

i think instrumentals are completely pointless

go figure!

not agreeing

loads of fun things out there

Edited by gaz thomas
Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

Bought the LP as soon as I heard it, the charity singles that started out at a tenner are going for £100+.

needs a bit of pitching up imho

Social source share

I think theres a difference between a good instrumental and something which is just a backing track...

not a collector of them but funny enuff have two news ones added to the box recently as already mentioned 'muddy part 2' and another rnb bobby Edwards 'turtle walk' killer Hammond organ and sax both sides! no clip sadly but also got this on the way which I didn't know but kinda liked...a bit funky but infectious rhythm and a great dancer I reckon

https://youtu.be/8WvBL_5aqHU

dean

• Helpful 1
Social source share

There are very few northern/rare instrumentals I would pay more thasn a £1 for.  Whereas the are a large numbe rof jazz/funk instros I would regularly play.  Basically jazz/funk is built on a groove whereas top quality northen is all about the voice for me.

Thats a good point, and if that's what the original poster was getting at, then I apologise for jumping in defending general instrumental music.

Although there are a few great northern instrumentals, the genre is generally song based, unique for a dance scene, and works better with vocals.

Social source share

Guest Glynn Jones

As a dancer, I've always liked Instrumentals but do understand where Bearsy is coming from. :yes:

In my top ten would be the Just like the weather Inst Richard used to play at Clifton Hall. Clip anyone?

Social source share

This is probably the very type of tune Bearsy would hate,,,,,,,apart from the fact that it never gets played out.........but I really like it! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnm3V5-WmVM

Yeh this was played by Guy Hennigan at Stafford.The Vocal to it is Called --Fox In A Mini Skirt--Claude & Hank Carbo --Castle.The Vocal is a much better record in my opinion

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Yeh this was played by Guy Hennigan at Stafford.The Vocal to it is Called --Fox In A Mini Skirt--Claude & Hank Carbo --Castle.The Vocal is a much better record in my opinion

Never heard the vocal version before, just gave it a spin on YT, flippin excellent and yes, I agree, the vocals give it more soul! Cheers.........................and just for Bearsy!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

BAGGED MY PYE DEMO OF THIS FROM THE ASDA OF NORTHERN SOUL OR SHOULD IT NOW BE ALDI PETE

SOUNDS ORCHESTRAL SOUL COAXING

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRCfvyyrAoo

KEV

Talking about Sounds Orchestral - their version of Ain't That Peculiar was a big Torch record and was actually booted on Out Of The Past, but there was no 45 release for it, it was on an EP, and lo and behold I picked the EP up at the weekend, in it's sleeve, for a massive £3.70, and I think it's the first time I've ever seen it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SOUNDS-ORCHESTRAL-1966-PYE-EP-AINT-THAT-PECULIAR-/390683228754?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=WexYoaj%252FBuWt%252FvJIU6B65AQrfgk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Social source share

Not the biggest fan of instrumentals but I love the Betty Boo Say It Isn't So one, superb.

Used to love Billy Arnell at Wigan, sounds like something the organ player at Blackpool Tower would knock out during afternoon cream teas to me these days.

Just missed out on a copy of that at Wigan, a well known dj had promised it to me, only he'd let it go by the following week, never got over that.

Don't know if Frankie Love Man qualifies...has lyrics doesn't it ? 'Go on Frankie, do it' just reminds me of Mr M's.

OT, interestingly,  F.L.Crocker  is featured in the excellent movie'Spector' with Al Pacino, he was a well known DJ.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!