An Antidote To Handbags

Yes - I think ten years on from when the 'returnees' um, 'returned', people have realised that these folk ain't stupid - They came back, enjoyed what they used to do, and are now looking for 'something else' - The very thing that attracted them to the scene in the first place!

Long may it continue - TOGETHER WE ARE STRONGER! :wink:

All the best,

Len :thumbsup: 

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Pointless taking a handbag to the 100Club Ady......nowhere to put it without it getting stomped on shirley??!x Sorry I can't make this one......but am definately coming to the December one and will leave mine at home safe!!x Have a good un...X

@@
~
LUV
SOOTY
X

....Lifeline....from what i've read it sounds the new Winsford/Congleton of the  90's which to some degree was home from home regarding the 100Club at their beginnings!x I din't get clear until 4am Sunday and was in Daventry unexpectedly which meant going home from there. I do look forward to going tho' and visiting any venue who dare to use the word 'progressive'......!x 

Social source share

Agree with Steve, that looks one cracking night. Used up most of my pass outs for the rest of the year having a 1 year old baby boy, but got a few booked in up to Christmas with Radcliffe lined up end of Nov. I really do hope that the returnees are getting bored with the same old stuff and can think of no better nighter than the forthcoming 100 club to experience the real scene.

Social source share

loved lifeline and the last 100 club alnighter and the last rugby freestyle room!..lots of new tunes at both..think there are plenty of venues that play lesser known stuff if you look and maybe travel a bit

would be with you at the weekend but clashes with gogo children bristol sadly....hold on callum simpson and sallie Reynolds guesting and with john stapleton as one of the residents there will be loads of lesser know stuff played there too ;-)

enjoy wherever you end up

dean

Social source share

See ya there Bearsy, looking forward to hearing some tip- top underplayed instrumentals  :wicked:

Taff

Got ear plugs for said instrumentals but won't need them at the 100 as it won't be the usual dross with a dj line up like that :-)

See you in the blue posts its Rach's round again :-)

Social source share

Wow! what a line up. :yes:

Would have come out for this, but got radio sunday morning and need to be on me mettle for that.

Def. should be a packer though with those guys on.

Fear not Schofield, I will have your pipe and slippers and a nice warm cup of coco at the ready  :D And mine also  :shhh:

Social source share

That might be true of a minority Len, otherwise if that was true, then 100 Club, Lifeline wouldn't have been struggling for numbers over the past few years. The vast, vast majority of 'returnees' (for want of a better term) are quite happy with the same set of played out records that they listened to during the short time they were 'on the scene'.

There's a real benefit to the more progressive end of the scene from the mass return which is the opening of rare and underplayed rooms within the oldies all-nighters, but let's not kid ourselves that masses move between rooms, they don't.

Ok, maybe I am being a bit positive / wishful thinking - It has been like you have described for a long time, and I was thinking / hoping that things are a changing......Maybe slightly aye? There does seem to be a positive vibe about at the moment, and I do think that Life-line and places like it are at least now being looked at by these people.

All the best,

Len :thumbsup: 

Social source share

What a formidable line up - the place should be jam-packed if all the Anniversary attendees show up, but as suggested earlier in the week, the London scene has gone stale, or as commented upon by another SS member, too fragmented, so the crowd could be small. Whatever the attendance, there will be plenty of 'Handbaggers', hopefully placing their bags on the pot- holes on the dance floor to prevent broken ankles and stop Trickster from falling down one. With the usual number of continental voyeurs dressed as mods, students, non-members and walk-ins, The 100 Club has become Handbaggers Central. Since the membership card requirement has been relaxed, any smackhead in training shoes can roll up to pogo around, take the p--- and make a nuisance of themselves. Are numbers so low that Handbaggers are welcome to keep the show on the road?

• Helpful 2
Social source share

What a formidable line up - the place should be jam-packed if all the Anniversary attendees show up, but as suggested earlier in the week, the London scene has gone stale, or as commented upon by another SS member, too fragmented, so the crowd could be small. Whatever the attendance, there will be plenty of 'Handbaggers', hopefully placing their bags on the pot- holes on the dance floor to prevent broken ankles and stop Trickster from falling down one. With the usual number of continental voyeurs dressed as mods, students, non-members and walk-ins, The 100 Club has become Handbaggers Central. Since the membership card requirement has been relaxed, any smackhead in training shoes can roll up to pogo around, take the p--- and make a nuisance of themselves. Are numbers so low that Handbaggers are welcome to keep the show on the road?

Don't know about the London scene,and i'm not a regular at the 100 club by any means,but this post is negative on so many levels.From the potholes to the smackheads this paints a picture that is so wrong.This is central London,and since there is now no membership,you are going to get "tourists" - some who are young but genuinely interested.The few times there has been trouble its been sorted before most have noticed its happened.

These London Handbaggers don't seem to be in the same league as others mentioned on here.No mention of the 100 club regulars.? Without them what next..........

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

SMACKS OF SABOTAGE TO ME 

Social source share

I go to the 100 Club fairly regularly so feel I can comment on your post. There is a hard core of people who go to the allnighter at the 100 Club, many of whom I am friendly with. Yes, you do get "tourists" down there, and sometimes they are a bit of a pain, standing in the middle of the dance floor, but they are a very small minority of those present, But although I'm sure many of us think please go away and leave the club to us I think we're fairly tolerant, the big no no is if they take drinks on the dance floor or take the mickey. And I don't think that happens very often. I've noticed they usually clear off at about .2.30 leaving us regulars to enjoy it till 6 am. Have you been to the allnighter recently? I think numbers have increased in the last couple of years, but no doubt Ady is the person who could answer that if he wanted to.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Lifeline was great at the weekend, really enjoyed it, great vibe all night. I will be down the 100 Club for the first time in yonks for more of the same hopefully. Hopefully if can get Andy sorted on time will be at he bar in the pub behind, blue whatever it's name is :D. Will be travelling with Nicola and Ian as well.

Blue Posts -Sam Smiths pub
Social source share

Possibly change your tag to Frankie Crock of **** if you're going to come up with gibberish like that. Too many inaccuracies to even start on.

Ady, no offence intended but where are the inaccuracies? Dance floor is in a terrible state with ruts you could twist an ankle on. Tourists and students checking the place out. Walk- ins dropping in after the other clubs have closed. I can remember an allnighter a few years ago when a bunch of smackheads took over the dance floor at 5 or 6 in the morning and you could cut the tension with a knife. I no longer attend the Handbag Club but feel qualified to pontificate having been over well over 100 times. I hope the night is a success. I know most of the DJs and would say this is as good as any lie-up you have put on BUT the numbers in recent times have dwindled and the relaxation of the membership policy have allowed sundry visitors to proliferate. Saying that is not sabotage, it's merely sharing a few observations that others have noticed. You invited discussion so continue the debate but stick to the facts.
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Don't know about the London scene,and i'm not a regular at the 100 club by any means,but this post is negative on so many levels.From the potholes to the smackheads this paints a picture that is so wrong.This is central London,and since there is now no membership,you are going to get "tourists" - some who are young but genuinely interested.The few times there has been trouble its been sorted before most have noticed its happened.

These London Handbaggers don't seem to be in the same league as others mentioned on here.No mention of the 100 club regulars.? Without them what next..........

Kev - if the post is negative, maybe it's because Handbaggers are regarded as being negative... For what it's writhe the 100 Club scenario is a lot less worse than is reported at other venues. Sometimes in trying to be objective, the outcome can be negative but perhaps that's actually the situation under discussion.
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Yes have been a regular since the first one.

I travel from Scotland and I find this kind of drivel that you post offensive as i like MOD clothes and my hand bag, as well as enjoying listening to the tunes that are played there.

I have travelled most of my time on the scene and i like to hear new tunes whatever the genre i like or others tastes. I find your comments purile in the extreme and pointless....but I will be in the blue posts from around 8 pm should you want to discuss this further. I will be dressed in suit with a matching handbag.     

Edited by Roddy
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Kev - if the post is negative, maybe it's because Handbaggers are regarded as being negative... For what it's writhe the 100 Club scenario is a lot less worse than is reported at other venues. Sometimes in trying to be objective, the outcome can be negative but perhaps that's actually the situation under discussion.

If your'e tending to focus on a few folks who maybe shouldn't be there,then that's your prerogative.Still plenty of people in attendance the last time i went who are full on soul people.As for the dancefloor,if you've been a few times,you should know every crack and pothole.!! Adds to the tension.!! :lol: .

Like Geoff said,most come for look around have a jig and are gone by 3.They don't know the etiquette we expect,but some learn very quickly. :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Ady, no offence intended but where are the inaccuracies? Dance floor is in a terrible state with ruts you could twist an ankle on. Tourists and students checking the place out. Walk- ins dropping in after the other clubs have closed. I can remember an allnighter a few years ago when a bunch of smackheads took over the dance floor at 5 or 6 in the morning and you could cut the tension with a knife. I no longer attend the Handbag Club but feel qualified to pontificate having been over well over 100 times. I hope the night is a success. I know most of the DJs and would say this is as good as any lie-up you have put on BUT the numbers in recent times have dwindled and the relaxation of the membership policy have allowed sundry visitors to proliferate. Saying that is not sabotage, it's merely sharing a few observations that others have noticed. You invited discussion so continue the debate but stick to the facts.

May not have been intended but it came across as if you had a grudge. I'll reply tomorrow as its half term and I'm with my lad. The main point though is your well out of touch, the nights picked up a couple of years ago and we've had some blinding times recently. Edited by ady croasdell
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

For me the international mods only add to the allure of the 100 club. The place has more than enough things going for it to be my fave niter (Even tho I havent been in too long), but the mod influence on the crowd, and in some of the tracks that have crossed over to become staple '100 club tunes', make it more enjoyable.

100% of that crowd are great to chat too. And that they have the passion and umph to get up and travel abroad to get their fix of rare and underplayed music is pretty inspirational.

Some have been inspired enough to stop in the Uk as well. Cristina Naggar, Jessica Wrecker, French Fred. All settled for at least a while in the Uk, and some are still here.

Long may the association continue. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Once again a person expresses an opinion and is lambasted by all concerned. If you can't take constructive critisism you shouldn't be promoting, it rather comes with the territory.

It's not personal f.f.s. we are all older and hopefully wiser, and we should be getting some sort of proffessionalism from our top allnighters these days. If you expect people to travel long distances and pay good money, then you should try and give them what they want.

That's the point I have been trying to make. People daren't express their opinions on this scene for fear of upsetting the status quo. What you lot are saying is, this is how it's always been, so it must be perfect, and if you don't like it you can f-off.

Well thats just what a bloody lot folk have done. In fact I think 75% of the best people that used to come to my promotions are no longer on the scene. And I don't blame them. 

It's not just about venues though is it, if someone's selling a record at an outrageous price and someone makes a comment, all the seller's mates jump in and slag of the commenter, even if the original comment was justified.  Yet they can get away with posting on the same topic saying "wow thats so cheap" when it clearly isn't.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Not at all.

All are intitled to their opinions but when it is plain wrong then the person with that opinion has to take the responses.

Yes but it's only wrong in your opinion, not the person who posted it, his opinion was that it was right.  Hence we have debate, argument etc.

• Helpful 3
Social source share