Articles: The Ivy Jo Hunter Story by Rob Moss

Rob Moss

• Replies 26
  • Views 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Only ever seen any pictures of Ivy Jo in the last couple of years but from his name I was expecting someone built like a heavyweight boxer but looking at the pictures he looks small in stature. 

Strange how someones name can give a false representation of the real person.

Whatever Ivy Jo Hunters stature his talent was heavyweight though. :yes:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

He's a great writer and producer who always deserved more attention.

I know the competition was fierce but it's sad that so many talented people were given second-class treatment at Motown.

If only there had been a powerful alternative.

Social source share

Rob what a great article and story on Ivy Jo Hunter -Ivy a fantastic song writer , producer and singer - have just sat whilst reading your article listening to his amazing "See you around " and Yea ,Yea,Yea double sider from 2012 for Soul Junction Records,

" Ivy Jo Hunter " what a great talent !!!

Hopefully we will see more of Ivy's material soon if his unissued Motown material sees the light of day ....

Thanks again Andy

https://www.souljunctionrecords.co.uk/SJ516.html

Edited by tfk
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Great article, really enjoyed it

Seem to recall seeing Ivy Jo appear at a Bretby niter c. 1997 - anyone else remember that? 

Yes Chris i was there.Chris King's birthday nighter.Ivy Joe came on told a few anicdotes and sang a couple of tunes.Don't think most people realised the status of the legend that was stood in front of them.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great article on one of my favourite writers

Actually spoke to Ivy on the telephone in Detroit....just looked through the local directory and took a chance on the name.....struck gold.

Brief chat about Correctone, the 45 "I remember when".....and we discussed the potential issuing of vaulted tracks (This was 1993)

Rob, what is the postion regarding copying this for other sites eg Soulful Detroit?

Thanks for this article......always singing Ivy's praises.

BTW his album was intended for release but Reel Music folded...great shame

regards

Snakepit

Social source share

• 5 years later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great piece Rob. Always amazes me how small and incestuous (in a musical sense) that glory period in soul music was.  Most of the artists so familiar to us were multi faceted, they wrote, produced, arranged and performed.  For each other and usually on many different labels.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!