John Manship Auction Results 30-10-2013

JOE TORQUAY

8454_1sm.jpg8454_1sm.jpg8454_2sm.jpg
Hun's Review Featuring The Soul Brothers Don't Make Me Love You C/w Danger Zone

This Pennsylvania rarity is growing in demand as a mini-revival takes place. DJ’s are backing this potent blend of garage/R&B & soul fusing perfectly into aggressive Northern Soul.

A Tsunami of brass tumbles from the speakers a defiant falsetto spits out the lyrics in a manner just perfect for one of those “lose yourself” dancefloor 3 minutes. No pause for thought, the production bangs it out loud and relentless as a provocative slab of Northern is born.

Two great side.. one tough to snag 45…

Sorry, this item has already been won!

The winning bid was £ 561.00

8427_1sm.jpg8427_1sm.jpg8427_2sm.jpg
Barons No One Else C/w Baby Call On Me C/w

Not the guys from New Orleans but a Detroit band performing with defiance and energy that leaves no room for pause..

We’ll start with the milder of the two sides, another in a long line of Ed Kaplan productions littered with horns and shrill girls spearing the chorus. Upbeat, strong and relentless mover you may think… just wait until you hear the flip.

The Barons ratchet it up a couple of notches as they rip Wicked Pickett’s 1963 Robert Bateman collaboration to bits - with a 1966 high-octane version dominated by uncompromising horns that race along at breakneck pace ..

Very RARE mostly unknown but we are aware of one famous New York DJ who is raving about and spinning crazed mix of 60s Garage, Punk & Soul meet head-on, to wreck the dancefloor - the insane guitar break towards the end - just caps it all off…

MAD!!!

The winning bid was £ 241.00

8455_1sm.jpg8455_1sm.jpg8455_2sm.jpg
Kim Weston Helpless C/w A Love Like Yours (don't Come Knocking Everyday)

If anyone was ever in doubt about the contribution Motown made towards the British all night club scene take a long listen to this Holland - Dozier - Holland masterpiece.

The Twisted Wheel All Night sessions were well into their second year riding so much popularity on the back of the R&B / Soul sound policy, you had to queue up well before the doors opened to have a certain chance of getting in.

So let’s imagine this 45 played for the very first time to a Ram-Jam-Packed room. Holland - Dozier - Holland had already supplied Motown with a string of uplifting hits, especially for the Supremes. But this is no Diana Ross squeeky, sugary, commercial Motown white audience targeted dance music.

This is Kim Weston - a sassy lass who packs a punch into here soul..

…and we can only imagine the affect it had on the crowd that night - it has since of course cemented itself into the hearts of the Northern Soul dance crowd..as a timeless classic..

For the British TMG collector this copy is flawless in every way, still retaining the sleeve it was born in..

The winning bid was £ 229.00

8437_1sm.jpg8437_1sm.jpg8437_2sm.jpg
Sonny Herman What About Me Vocal / Instrumental

Stomping Los Angeles Northern Soul with few parallels..

They don’t come any more potent than this high-octane Northern Soul romp! a near 3.00 minute ruckus of stabbing horns ridden rodeo-style by an unflinching vocal hanging on the frantic rhythm.

Stay still if ya’can…….

Ferocious Northern Soul and fearsomely RARE!

The winning bid was £ 387.00

Social source share

8457_1sm.jpg8457_1sm.jpg8457_2sm.jpg
Bernard Calvin Greedy Part 1 & 2

Urban small-town FUNK from this Virginian artist, Wild approach work with the fuzz guitar, is just part of this guys imaginative instrumentation. Electric effects, bongos, strong guitar work and a vocal group chorus to support his jazzy vocal delivery.

The whole mix serves up early 70s FUNK with skilled individuality that will have you hooked after a couple of plays.

Fabulous Street-level D.I.Y. FUNK!

The winning bid was £ 249.00

8438_1sm.jpg8438_1sm.jpg8438_2sm.jpg
Straight Jacket The Greatest Part Of Loving C/w Fun

Delectable-Detroit-Dance with a delightfully docile sax opening proceedings for a vocal that will send shivers down you back.

The subtle sax continues prompting a lazy guitar rhythm, as the lead vocal impregnates the session with some real SOUL her team-mates coo away with the chorus, then the saxophonist lights up the session as he too gets excited as the tune unfolds into the real-deal, sax-break, heavenly girl, prodding dance arrangement all pale to that fabulously emotional lead voice..

Who is she, certainly deserves some personal recognition being blessed with such a standout vocal.

The flip has the same ingredient but jumbled up into a boogie dancer - that just evaporates in the presence of greatness…

The winning bid was £ 232.00

8440_1sm.jpg8440_1sm.jpg8440_2sm.jpg
Matt Covington We Got Love

Long and short version of this journey into falsetto soul with not a club or disco note within hear-shot.

Buddy Turner, Johnny Bellman & Jack Faith avoid all commercial cliches as we record the 5.29 long version side - the shorter 3.43 flipside is even tighter and more soulful asyou can imagine.

The cold-as-ice Matt Covington vocal is prompted be a mid-tempo Jack Faith arrangement incorporating controlled horns, Philly-influenced string section that zips up the background, as Matt’s wailings grow in depth and delivery on this undated production.

A recording that features at the upfront unashamedly “Soul only” venues where a pedestrian production is measured by it’s “ABV of Soul” rather that it’s dance beat output. The clubs where the dancers get lost in the lyrics, vocals and the classy instrumentation..which in this case jumps a league when an inspired flute solo unexpectedly bursts through towards the end.

Total Class - saturated in all that is good with modern soulful dance!

The winning bid was £ 155.00

8428_1sm.jpg8428_1sm.jpg8428_2sm.jpg
Bobby Treetop Wait Till I Get To Know Ya

NORTHERN SOUL CLASSIC time!

Here’s tough one to locate these days - and an anthem that is perhaps not played enough; one for the busy NS-oldies DJ’s to pass Sam & Kitty for. Just as much, if no more power. Jazzman Benny Golson changes gears into overdrive as he arranges Kenny Williams composition with a cynically-commanding backing track that demands you DANCE!

THIS IS NORTHERN SOUL

… and this copy is an amazing near MINT!

The winning bid was £ 311.00

Social source share

8468_1sm.jpg8468_1sm.jpg8468_2sm.jpg
Ronny Douglas You'll Come Back

Al McCarther fans here’s another gem to consider..

Currently in my top ten favourite tunes - a solid resident in my DJ box and a firm candidate for the last record of the set.

Listen and see if you adore this style as much as I do - this is BEAT BALLAD HEAVEN What a voice.. cradle by a full orchestra lead by Chuck Sagle laying down a blanket of strings for Mr. Douglas to decorate with his easy-going vocal style. A staggering production, enriched by a haunting choir backing…making the whole thing just a pure delight!

Rare and in flawless condition and perched perfectly to rise up and match Mr. McCarther’s unchallenged status.

The winning bid was £ 83.00

8435_1sm.jpg8435_1sm.jpg8435_2sm.jpg
Al Mccarther His True Love For You

My all time favourite slice of Beat Ballad Heaven - end of…

This is of course the rare authentic original press with the machine stamped S4KM matrix.

Condition could not be finer - this copy is utterly flawless - now with got those important points out of the way..

LISTEN and MELT!

The winning bid was £ 386.00

8458_1sm.jpg8458_1sm.jpg8458_2sm.jpg
Rocky Gil And The Bishops It's Not The End C/w Every Day Of My Life

I’m trying to think of all the very rare records this auction has presented over the last 8 years. Some really hard ones have actually appeared on more than one occasion - we can say it was 8 years 5 months since we’ve last had the privilege to offer this mighty Texas rarity for sale.

Upon hearing it again, I think it should be revived if any DJ out there has a copy - I just adore the deceiving slow intro - then wham, those Tex-Mex horns start bubbling away, cradling Rocky’s dusty-desert-choked vocal as he pleads his way through the lyrics. Delightfully primitive Northern Soul dancer from a label who’s output of 45s was unbelievable and most every title is Dog-Rare, and every title bristling with homegrown, organic SOUL!

Check out the vocal-group flipside that sits between Deep Soul and a harmony Sweet soul ballad as the upbeat start goes the opposite way and drops into despair.

TEX-MEX Soul don’tcha just love it - and when it’s as rare as this one - it’s a must own platter especially for the DJ who wants to revive those underplayed impossibles of yesteryear.

The winning bid was £ 395.00

8459_1sm.jpg8459_1sm.jpg8459_2sm.jpg8459_3sm.jpg8459_4sm.jpg
Crystals He's A Rebel

Seriously Rare 1963 UK London MONO copy in seriously fine condition

Vinyl is flawless, labels are both Mint - cover back and font is free of any writing, tears or sticker marks - light age browning the white area of the back cover - very tiny area of laminate lift top left is the only flaw i can find.

To have this album is one thing, to behold flawless vinyl is quite staggering.

These five Brooklyn gals were there right at he very beginning of the “Wall Of Sound” along with the Ronettes laid the foundations for Phil Spectors phenomenal success, along with the like s of other contributors to this LP arrangers Jack Nitzshche, Arnold Goland. Technical - Larry Levine & Bill MacMeekan. Steve Douglas on Saxophone, Mike Pencer on Piano & Hal Blaine on drums.

PS. The album includes the controversial Carole King & Jerry Goffin song with the original title “He Hit Me” later softening with additional wording “and it felt like a kiss” 

The winning bid was £ 172.00

Social source share

8439_1sm.jpg8439_1sm.jpg8439_2sm.jpg8439_3sm.jpg8439_4sm.jpg
Barbara Lewis Snap Your Fingers

Who could ever forget this ladies sensational stage presence at 2006 Cleethoprpes Weekender, as we all stood agog, as we soaked up this Diva’s charisma. I’m not ashamed to admit it and hope the guy standing next to me will come forward and confess, as at least two grown men shed tears in the presence of a masterclass in Sister-Soul.

Before you today is the incredibly elusive 1965 British 4 track EP with cover - as you can see and hear this beautiful offering is utterly flawless.

So listen to this 21 year old Detroit songbird glide through 4 scintillating Ollie Mclaughlin sessions showcasing her Angel-like voice.

Check out the cover, just like Barbara herself not a wrinkle in sight, labels are perfection, vinyl only reveals a light blemish or two in strong light.

This is a tribute to one of the greatest live acts I’ve ever witnessed and a lasting testament to this talented Motor City artist who’s writing talents equaled her heartbreaking voice.

The winning bid was £ 83.00

8429_1sm.jpg8429_1sm.jpg8429_2sm.jpg
Roger Hatcher Sweetest Girl In The World C/w I'm Gonna Dedicate My Song To You

MINT unplayed!!

IMHO one of the greatest mid-paced rare soul delights ever made. Dripping with a soulful-hunger you really hear in a dance record. Mr. Hatcher pleads n’ clawls his way to proclaiming the lady the “Sweetest Girl In The World “; his beseeching vocal style never wavering from it’s on-your-knees course to convince!

..but also offering a flipside of equally immense soulful qualities as again Roger Hatcher shows off his easing flowing but painfully appealing vocal style.

YES, this PROMO copy is MINT unplayed! Soundfile lifted from a previous listing so the new owner can enjoy virgin vinyl..

The winning bid was £ 341.00

8456_1sm.jpg8456_1sm.jpg8456_2sm.jpg
Bobby Hebb You Want To Change Me

In 1968 the British public were totally unaware of the geniuses that were about to burst onto soul-music-scene and become only the 2nd team to have a “sound” named after them. Mirroring the MOTOWN SOUND “The Sound Of Philadelphia” would take the early 70s world by a storm.

In 1968 the names Kenny Gamble & Leon Huff were overshadowed by their Detroit counterparts, but we think this 45 showcases the potential that was simmering away, the fluid easy flow of their productions, just like Motown embellished with thoughtful “storyline lyrics”.

So here is a much-loved Gamble & Huff offering to Northern Soul, arranged by the prolific Richie Rome that has stood the test of time, still signalling a rush to the dance-floor whenever played today.

There are many desirable collectable factors attached to this RARE 1968 UK press.

1. The USA press a little commoner but notorious for it’s poor styrene fidelity although you can acquire a copy that plays OK they seemed to deteriorate with play. Sound is empty, hissy and generally poor.
  2. So enter this “as new” condition copy press in high-fidelity durable vinyl with a richness of sound the USA press can get nowhere near to.
  3. Still retains it’s original birth sleeve - and we are confident in saying “you will not ever see a finer copy” - well we certainly don’t expect to..

The winning bid was £ 116.00

Social source share

Huns Review is a terrific record, I found one years ago on a car boot for 10p and traded it with a guy who knew his onions, no one had ever heard it before then. I think he traded it with Tim at Anglo American and the price shot up to around £200. I know it's fairly in-demand but £560......wow!!!!!

I really thought it would reach around £300 being on John Manship's and all. 

BTW, I managed to secure a minter for £50 off ebay after regretting letting mine go. 

Social source share

Huns Review is a terrific record, I found one years ago on a car boot for 10p and traded it with a guy who knew his onions, no one had ever heard it before then. I think he traded it with Tim at Anglo American and the price shot up to around £200. I know it's fairly in-demand but £560......wow!!!!!

I really thought it would reach around £300 being on John Manship's and all. 

BTW, I managed to secure a minter for £50 off ebay after regretting letting mine go. 

Huns Review was well known by many long before Anglo American came to life :yes:

Edited by Wrongcrowd
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

always amazed how much john realises for farly commom 45s ...........does he do sales courses :wicked: seeing some higher prices on e bay of late i thought ..... .....optimism in the economy perhaps??? .....better stop buying and start selling...........ez

I know...................... :unsure:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!