Has Sandy Golden On Masterpiece Been Booted?

Col Wolfe

Guest gordon russell

Do we have an answer yet.

Are we still agreed its an awesome piece of music that deserves its place in the Northern Soul hall of all time greats?

might be lol :lol:

Social source share

I think the record shown here on the first post is an original because the description matches the one for sale on the latest John Manship auction. The clincher for me is the drumstick in the dead wax . I think whoever found this is a very lucky person!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I think the record shown here on the first post is an original because the description matches the one for sale on the latest John Manship auction. The clincher for me is the drumstick in the dead wax . I think whoever found this is a very lucky person!

I guess that's because it's probably the same record.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Now here's a question........has only one turned up or has that mystical box count of 50 been found??????

If so it begs the question as to how much the first one at auction will go for and how low will subsequent ones sell for????

You have the option of being in at the top end or wait.......OR.......you can either phone a friend,ask the audience or 50/50?

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Now here's a question........has only one turned up

Yes, the copy on the Manship Auction is Mine. It was found 2+ years ago and is the same copy as (Poorly) photographed in the first post on this thread. It is the only copy available anywhere on the internet, and was sadly the only copy we found.

Edited by AGrail
Social source share

Yes, the copy on the Manship Auction is Mine. It was found 2+ years ago and is the same copy as (Poorly) photographed in the first post on this thread. It is the only copy available anywhere on the internet, and was sadly the only copy we found.

Gotta ask, where did you find it and what else was there??!

Edited by jim g
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

• 5 years later...
On 11/11/2013 at 15:47, Ian Dewhirst said:

What gigs? She's virtually unknown and doesn't seem to have had much verifiable activity ever. In fact, there's bugger all about her anywhere. Maybe Roburt can dig something up...?

I've got thousands of records from the 70's many of which have never even been out of the sleeve, but I can pretty much guarantee that none of 'em look as beautifully brand spanking new as that scan up above. I'd be delighted if my records looked as new as those. The only way I've seen records come up that nice, is if they've been stored in an air-proof plastic bag for 40 years or if they've been well-stored in boxes in a dry warm location, which is rare.

Even more controversially, just looking at the grooves and the finish on the vinyl, I'd say it was pressed at the same plant as the Sweet Stuff and Solomon Burke Soultown 45's which would put it between 1975-81. So there.  :lol:

Ian D  :D

I was doing a little digging and Nate Fortier was involved with Rick Smith (Again little info on him)

He sang a duet with Sandi Humphries on one track (that seems a massive stab in the dark that it's the same Sandy)

Maybe someone connected might know

Rick.jpg

Social source share

1 hour ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

I was doing a little digging and Nate Fortier was involved with Rick Smith (Again little info on him)

He sang a duet with Sandi Humphries on one track (that seems a massive stab in the dark that it's the same Sandy)

Maybe someone connected might know

Rick.jpg

Ive made contact with Sandy, well messaged her but she doesnt seem interested and won’t reply. 

Nate had a stroke or something like a few years ago and also seems relectant to answer messages and emails. 

Edited by chalky
Social source share

• 1 year later...
On 02/11/2013 at 11:02, Chalky said:

I've found an email address for a Nate Fortier, a record producer/songwriter and pianist.  I've emailed him to see if it is the NF we are interested in and if he remembers this 45.

It might be worth trying to contact their son

https://ourstage.com/JonDoe700/epk

I believe this is Nate's wife

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwan_Smith

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

5 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

It might be worth trying to contact their son

https://ourstage.com/JonDoe700/epk

I believe this is Nate's wife

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwan_Smith

There is a Phyliss Fortier credited on one side of Sandy Golden, that may have been his wife back then.  The marriage to Nathaniel Fortier is from 2011 according to the often wrong wikipedia.

Edited by Chalky
Social source share

17 minutes ago, Chalky said:

There is a Phyliss Fortier credited on one side of Sandy Golden, that may have been his wife back then.  The marriage to Nathaniel Fortier is from 2011 according to the often wrong wikipedia.

I agree Phyllis was his first wife, which may explain his lack of wanting to discuss stuff ex relationships, I just thought his son might.....help

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!