Has Sandy Golden On Masterpiece Been Booted?

Col Wolfe

Guest gordon russell

heres radical..........it,s real!!.........why shouldn,t  mint records turn up......if they,ve been sat in a box untouched in a garage for 40+ years......theres a great chance they'd be mint..........can,t understand the deliberation?....manny has tunes on his site all the time that are unplayed.....Someone asked is it styrene?look closer the label is a molded one that quite often is slighty off centre  which is as you all know a common  occurance....so it,s vinyl......

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

Hey I thought I put forward some good suggestions there.

I am crushed.

:(

Considering the original poster's header is asking if the record has or had been booted ,suggests that the whole point is to discuss the possibility that this newly found copy may or may not be original ..

but maybe people with a desire to own one can sometimes be blinkered and refuse to listen to accept anything other than it being original :g:

On the other hand ,i can relate to Col for maybe having a bit of doubt to its authenticity ,purely because of how nice and  clean it looks :)

I once got a unplayed immaculate copy of the Volumes on Garu and when it turned up i thought it looked too nice for something that was made 40yr since ,so posted up on here for confirmation .

So far ,so good :thumbsup:

Social source share

Considering the original poster's header is asking if the record has or had been booted ,suggests that the whole point is to discuss the possibility that this newly found copy may or may not be original ..

but maybe people with a desire to own one can sometimes be blinkered and refuse to listen to accept anything other than it being original :g:

On the other hand ,i can relate to Col for maybe having a bit of doubt to its authenticity ,purely because of how nice and  clean it looks :)

I once got a unplayed immaculate copy of the Volumes on Garu and when it turned up i thought it looked too nice for something that was made 40yr since ,so posted up on here for confirmation .

Bang on.  This is the crux.  It does really look too box-fresh to be true but as Gordon points out above, there's no reason why it can't be if it's been stored away for most of its life.  What we really need is an owner of a confirmed original to offer up pics/info to put it to rest (or indeed if Sharmo/Nico could provide pics of the copy seen in Amsterdam recently?).  If it does get confirmed as original, it will definitely be put up for sale or auction as the owner isn't a soul collector (and would instantly rule me out of affording it  :( )

Thanks for all the comments so far everybody

Col

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I take it this was a one-off label then? No other releases and no info presumably? That wouldn't necessarily be so unusual but can anyone fix an actual year of release? Is it in that great Swiss book with all the oddball labels I wonder....?

Ian D  :D

there's at least two later releases show on a masterpiece label

which  has a  similar logo

12 below

there's a earlier one 45/12 as well - lester chamber

johnnie-and-joe-double-dealing-masterpie

Edited by mike
Social source share

Tell him it's boot and you'll take it off his hands for a Tenner  :wicked:  :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Ian 5 mins on the web give you links to the thread on the old Spectropop site - a few snippets for ya!

Hey, Ya'll Spectropop folk!

Anyone know where to find the single "When We're All

Alone Tonite", by Sandy Golden? She is the cousin

of Booker T. (Booker T. & The MG's). The song came

out in the mid 1960's. Appreciate any leads. She went

to Dorsey H.S. in LosAngeles, and graduated in 1965.

Thanks!

Rock On My People,

Charlo Crossly

Hey, Sandy Golden was a friend of

my brother-in-law Nate Fortier Jr., and he is looking

for her as a friend who is a major collector of music

wants to get in touch with her, and get the copy. :D

Oh My Gosh! I've been after that single for Ages! The

Australian release of it anyway. It was released here

on the Australian version of Masterpiece (MP-004) in

1966. Would love to hear it if anyone wishes to put

it on Musica.

Cameron

"‹Soussan indeed…..  :rolleyes:   You wish! :D Australian release??? :ohmy:

australian rel. ??? Indeed  :ohmy: !!!! any further valid informations of a canadian release of this record on the net ??

Social source share

Ian 5 mins on the web give you links to the thread on the old Spectropop site - a few snippets for ya!

Thanks!

Rock On My People,

Charlo Crossly

it on Musica.

Cameron

As Marc says an interesting thread!

I don't believe the bit about Booker T or the Aussie release, and I am telling you lot, that record is a 70's release, listen to it on headphones and you'll hear the synths

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Hi, I had the first copy of Sandy Golden in the 80s and the disc pictured at the top looks right although it has been a few years since I had it.

Regards

Ion

Hope alls good Ion

I remember Rob Marriott raving on about you having this 45 by Sandy Golden - Rob quoting "awesome youth , f.....g awesome" you'll love it !!! " one of the best IMO from that era for sure !!! And will always be a Ion record..

TFK

Edited by tfk
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I don't believe the bit about Booker T or the Aussie release, and I am telling you lot, that record is a 70's release, listen to it on headphones and you'll hear the synths

Yep I don't believe the bit about the Aussie release either……me think someone is taking the pith there Pete! BTW didn't answer your earlier comment, both sides way too slow for Soussan…..IMHO…. 

Anyway Milesago website and globaldog don't have a record of such a label existing in Australia……. 

Yep the synths are the thing that throws it all into confusion……Think the first two of the three posts are genuine enough though - second one from one of Nate Fortier's family as it goes, and had to smile at the "major collector of music" wanting to get in touch…. :g:

Fookin collectors you can't get away from 'em. :D

Edited by Steve G
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Brilliant record but having read the whole thread my question would be why is no one asking about the fact that two mint unplayed looking copies appear to have surfaced so close together?

Original post and Sharmo's Amsterdam copy - unless they are one and the same...

Does that support a box find or a new press?

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Thanks!

Rock On My People,

Charlo Crossly

it on Musica.

Cameron

As Marc says an interesting thread!

LOL, Australian release sounds like b*llocks - Masterpiece MP004 and released in 1966? Someone's having a laugh here. They seem to know a hell of a lot more than the combined ranks of Soul Source.

Here is a label which has no apparent verifiable history, appears to be a one-off, was obviously typeset (badly) by the same guy who did the Soussan boots, was probably pressed at the same plant, has the artist's initials as the catalogue number rather than the record company's, is not in any of the books and has managed to evade everyone until some time in the 80's. Oh, and apparently 2 brand spanking new copies have shown up in the last week available for pocket change.

Actually, I take it all back. My mate's just popped round and he coincidentally has a couple of copies with him which he says he bought at Camden market this afternoon. I've looked at 'em and they're definite originals. How much is it worth again?  :lol:

Edited by pikeys dog
swearing - workplace filters
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

LOL, Australian release sounds like b*llocks - Masterpiece MP004 and released in 1966? Someone's having a laugh here. They seem to know a hell of a lot more than the combined ranks of Soul Source.

Hi Ian yep we know there is no Australian release……that bit was a wind up by someone….. :yes:

PS: only problem with your post is that the characters on the production of the record do actually exist - they are on the other sandy golden 45 (The Phoenix), and I've got a record by the same production team on Phil La of Soul knocking about somewhere.

PPS; are you @ Majestic next week?

Edited by pikeys dog
swearing - workplace filters
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

This scene is to incestous...for a boot of any quantity.....everyone know everyone/knowledge....folk already smelling a rat where there's most probably not...........remember the  robbie lawson  boots done by mr kyser.....never got off the starting blocks before it was rumbled....and i,ve held a copy of that.....as right as it looked      it looked wrong.......4 or 5 sandie goldens known.....must be the chance of more..of which l think this is one.............however a counterfiet...with all the precision that would take....still wouldn,t pass...might get past the odd bod,but as soon as any quantity  however small became apparent....game over

Social source share

PS: only problem with your post is that the characters on the production of the record do actually exist - they are on the other sandy golden 45 (The Phoenix), and I've got a record by the same production team on Phil La of Soul knocking about somewhere.

PPS; are you @ Majestic next week?

I think we're all agreed it's a legitimate recording by a legitimate artist and I did note the previous Phoenix recording. But it's sure interesting. To be fair, even it was a brand new discovery as of yesterday, I'd have still thought it interesting that the label was apparently put together by whoever did the Soussan bootlegs 'cos those designs are definitely too close for comfort.

I do quite like the idea that Soussan, with his customary ways, may well have dug through Bobby Sanders tapes sometime in the early 1970's and selected a pile of interesting recordings that he put on one side whilst he was busy organizing the guaranteed sellers. Bobby may have seen the kind of numbers that Soussan was shifting on the Sweets, the Tempos and other L.A. stuff (Bob Relf for instance) and tried to copycat the approach through the same design/manufacturing system but without understanding the mechanics of the UK scene. Bobby and Simon would have undoubtedly fallen out, so Bobby may have thought that it didn't look that difficult to sell these old recordings and pressed up one himself? And then didn't know what to do with it. I dunno, but I bet there's a story there somewhere. 

Fascinating stuff ay? I've actually just had a fairly spectacular car crash about 40 minutes ago, which predictably demolished the other car whilst mine stayed pretty robust and drive-able. So a pretty exciting night. But frankly I'd rather talk about this. I'm wondering how the Bobby Saunders/Sandy Golden thing worked with that Sweets backing track? What was the connection there? Questions, questions.....

And I'll be ready for a couple of beers next Thursday I reckon. I missed the last one but I was at the one before I think. Are you playing? I wanted to have a natter about your book as well. So yep. See ya there.

Oh, and I need some insurance advice too mate.... :lol:

Social source share

This scene is to incestous...for a boot of any quantity.....everyone know everyone/knowledge....folk already smelling a rat where there's most probably not...........remember the  robbie lawson  boots done by mr kyser.....never got off the starting blocks before it was rumbled....and i,ve held a copy of that.....as right as it looked      it looked wrong.......4 or 5 sandie goldens known.....must be the chance of more..of which l think this is one.............however a counterfiet...with all the precision that would take....still wouldn,t pass...might get past the odd bod,but as soon as any quantity  however small became apparent....game over

Those Robbie Lawson's fooled a few people before the heavy forensics were brought in. 'cos apparently, they were very. very close.

Some of these guys are experts at bootlegging their own records. Peter Brown is the king of all that and, again, very good at it and Paul Kyser's been around the block a few times, as has Bobby Sanders on the other coast and Major Bill in Texas. I mean, how many different variations of "A Little Togetherness" or "Soul Symphony" or "Salvation" can you squeeze out?    

All I'm saying, is that Masterpiece record has all the hallmarks of an L.A. pressing from sometime in the 70's. It would be good to get the facts. Plus, verification on the circumstances of the two new copies would be good.

I actually quite like the record but, yeah, I'm cynical about it's provenance. :g:

Plus, I have nothing better to talk about @ 10.30 on a Friday night anyway.  :lol:

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Even if the label was typeset by the same guy who typeset Soussan's boots, there must have been hundreds of releases coming out at the time. It would surely have been a case of Soussan's boots looking the same as the originals and not the other way round?

As a designer, the slightly different logos on each side is interesting. The typesetter must just have run out of letter "r"s and gone with another style. They also missed the bracket off the end of the matrix number on side two. You can tell I lead an exciting life... :-}

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Even if the label was typeset by the same guy who typeset Soussan's boots, there must have been hundreds of releases coming out at the time. It would surely have been a case of Soussan's boots looking the same as the originals and not the other way round?

As a designer, the slightly different logos on each side is interesting. The typesetter must just have run out of letter "r"s and gone with another style. They also missed the bracket off the end of the matrix number on side two. You can tell I lead an exciting life... :-}

No. A lot of Soussan's boots at that time, made no effort to replicate the originals, but, rather, came out as figments of his own creative imagination mixed in with his eye for detail on credits. The Gems on Tru-Glo-Town, Dan Valery on Pussycat, the Mike Post Coalition on Soul Beat etc, etc. There were loads of 'em Also, when he did appropriate a name or logo, many times the release would have no relation to the label, i.e. Johnny Moore "Walk Like A Man" on Soultown? Yeah right.

If you check the scans posted above on the Mob, the Magnificents and Sandra Phillips and then check Popsike for the scans of the originals, you'll see the difference. Soussan probably had a guy who had to knock things up on the fly very quickly and without warning who probably never got paid properly, so what you see in this period is generally the work of one poor guy who Soussan dazzled I reckon. Until the honeymoon ended LOL....

And I concur that he probably ran out of 'R''s. I presume he was using Letraset and hit the last of that character, so made a near substitution. 

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

No. A lot of Soussan's boots at that time, made no effort to replicate the originals, but, rather, came out as figments of his own creative imagination mixed in with his eye for detail on credits. The Gems on Tru-Glo-Town, Dan Valery on Pussycat, the Mike Post Coalition on Soul Beat etc, etc. There were loads of 'em Also, when he did appropriate a name or logo, many times the release would have no relation to the label, i.e. Johnny Moore "Walk Like A Man" on Soultown? Yeah right.

If you check the scans posted above on the Mob, the Magnificents and Sandra Phillips and then check Popsike for the scans of the originals, you'll see the difference. Soussan probably had a guy who had to knock things up on the fly very quickly and without warning who probably never got paid properly, so what you see in this period is generally the work of one poor guy who Soussan dazzled I reckon. Until the honeymoon ended LOL....

And I concur that he probably ran out of 'R''s. I presume he was using Letraset and hit the last of that character, so made a near substitution. 

Sorry, I think you misunderstood my point. I didn't mean Soussan's boots looked like the original records he was bootlegging. I meant his labels would just have looked like whatever bog standard labels the typesetter was knocking out quickly in the seventies. Obviously there was no attempt to copy the 60s designs. So, what I meant was that in the seventies hundreds of titles would be passing through pressing plants - pop, soul, country, prog, rock etc. So Soussan's boots just looked like any other label - so his labels are the same as seventies originals. And not the hundreds of other records looked like his...

This is pure conjecture, and you might be about to tell me that it's a very distinctive look... It wouldn't have been letraset, the labels would have been manually set up with metal letterpress type. Quickly!

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Always thought it sounded 70s to me.. Actually, all the talk of Sousann boots.. what is it a boot of? Perhaps he knocked em all out in the 70s, from tapes. Wouldn't be a boot if they were the first vinyl copies, would they? Maybe at the time, he wasn't aiming at the northern market, but looking for a stateside 'hit'!! Pure conjecture of course, but I find the whole thing intriguing, when you take into account he did have the tapes to do the sweets inst. Boot..

Social source share

Sorry, I think you misunderstood my point. I didn't mean Soussan's boots looked like the original records he was bootlegging. I meant his labels would just have looked like whatever bog standard labels the typesetter was knocking out quickly in the seventies. Obviously there was no attempt to copy the 60s designs. So, what I meant was that in the seventies hundreds of titles would be passing through pressing plants - pop, soul, country, prog, rock etc. So Soussan's boots just looked like any other label - so his labels are the same as seventies originals. And not the hundreds of other records looked like his...

This is pure conjecture, and you might be about to tell me that it's a very distinctive look... It wouldn't have been letraset, the labels would have been manually set up with metal letterpress type. Quickly!

Well, Soussan's bootleg designs were almost like bog-standard poor attempts to replicate the basic simplicity of many of the 60's labels as cheaply as possible. Pretty much always a one base colour label with a black print overlay. However, by the early to mid 70's when Soussan was pumping these out, label designs had generally moved on. So, compared to labels like Buddah, Sussex, Curtom, De-Lite, Casablanca etc, Soussan's bootleg labels were like Retro throwbacks, the Dap-Tone of the 70's if you like..... :lol:

Social source share

Guest Trevski

I guess there is a story, somewhere. I just hope that it turns out to still be sh*t rare, cosher, and above reproach. It would be sad to see one of the best things I have heard in decades come crashing down to a one-in-every-box, can't shift 'em for peanuts tune. Far, far too good to be anything other than iconic!

Social source share

bob relf blowing my mind to pieces has the same stamp in runout

Yes the machine stamp is interesting

This scene is to incestous... as soon as any quantity  however small became apparent....game over

I'd love to see images of the Amsterdam copy

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Oh f**k it then .....a soussan boot lol :lol: ....................with us lot back in the day wanting  uptempo dancers (nothing changes lol)...seems an odd thing to  boot

Social source share

Whilst there have always been some questions about the record, seems like some people on here are foaming at the mouth hoping for it to be some sort of aborted Soussan pressing that's now turned up (even tho it's far too slow for him), thus destroying the pedigree of another iconic rare soul record.

When does genuine interest in a rare record stop, and "inverse snobbery" by the "£5 Squad" take over? 

PS: The other Nate Fortier record I remembered was by Great Expectations - 1973.

Edited by Steve G
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Whilst there have always been some questions about the record, seems like some people on here are foaming at the mouth hoping for it to be some sort of aborted Soussan pressing that's now turned up (even tho it's far too slow for him), thus destroying the pedigree of another iconic rare soul record.

When does genuine interest in a rare record stop, and "inverse snobbery" by the "£5 Squad" take over? 

PS: The other Nate Fortier record I remembered was by Great Expectations - 1973.

Don't take things so seriously, it's an intriguing record and we're trying to find out details about it, that's all.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Oooh bitchy Steve. 'Foaming at the mouth', 'inverse snobbery', '£5.00 Squad'? What's got into you this morning? Cornflakes run out.....? :ohmy:

Check the title of the thread mate. There's always been conjecture about this record, so it's not like it's the first time it's come up:-

I used to have that Great Expectations record. Pretty good in a funky way I seem to remember.....

Social source share

Oooh bitchy Steve. 'Foaming at the mouth', 'inverse snobbery', '£5.00 Squad'? What's got into you this morning? Cornflakes run out.....? :ohmy:

Check the title of the thread mate. There's always been conjecture about this record, so it's not like it's the first time it's come up:-

I used to have that Great Expectations record. Pretty good in a funky way I seem to remember.....

Hi Ian, 

I did read the title….it's "Has Sandy Golden on Masterpiece been booted?"

The answer it seems is no.

We then go into this great big conspiracy theory about Soussan, bootlegs, Synthesisers (can't hear them myself but they were used in music in the 60s) etc. etc. None of it is anything other than conjecture and wishful thinking and crude "dot joining". OK I concede some interesting ideas…..and this record has always been an oddity.

There are no facts apart from the producer and his wife are real people who made other records and they are not made up names. BTW also Rick Smith LP on Birdie late 70s / early 80s was another one of Fortiers. I'd concede that it is probable the record was made in the early 70's - that's when Fortier was active and it has that 'feel' to it. As Dave Rivers and I have both said though there was a lot more going on in L.A back then beyond Simon Soussan….. 

So my request is let's get some facts rather than making it up…..Next thing you'll know is you'll be quoted in a book or on the web "According to Northern soul expert Ian Dewhirst Sandy Golden was an aborted Simon Soussan bootleg that never took off at the time"……History writing itself, or rather history being written by you. :D

All that said a good thread…..now where are me cornflakes?

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

He who should not be named has played it on one of his Podcasts.He was a big fan of Wake Up To The Sunshine Girl as well......it wasn't all stompers that were booted..Nate evans ..Lynn Vardo Wash and wear love...Cortez Greer...maybe its a coincidence that it has the same two lines as the Magnificents and Simon had acess to the Sweets backing track.Got a great version of It's Too Late by The camelot Strings...now that is rare.Have we had this out whether this is a styrene or vinyl...flat edge or bevelled edge.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!