Anyone Been To Stax Museum?

Newer

Have been several times and only just got out alive each time. Park on the street or in the back lot. Cover the plates up with bin bags so as not to attract attention.Better take weaponry and some body armour ...oh and a taser, just in case. Hi Records is in the same neighbourhood but you'll need a military vehicle to even get close.

Social source share

We are going to Memphis for a couple of days next weekend - 8th Nov. Is there parking at the Museum?

Couple of Trip Advisor reviews have me feeling it might not be best to park a car with foreign plates in the neighbourhood?

Cheers

I went a couple of years ago, bit of a  dodgy drive through to Stax but okay when got there. Car park at the back with sounds playing, all ok.  We were  outside the front taking some photos when a car pulled up with blacked out windows, looking a bit worrying as there were loads of derelict buildings around, but the occupants had stopped to take photos too.  

Social source share

was there a few years ago took a taxi as it's the best option and get them to pick you back up unlike hitsville & chess its a set up like a museum just take your time going round as you''ll miss things for me it's best of the 3 the gift shop has good stuff as well ,also there things on at night check the stax website  ,also go to sun records its great and the guide i had knew her stuff i try to catch her out asking about goldwax and hi she knew all about them and was comforable talking about them as she was about sun and take lots of photos enjoy. :thumbup:

Social source share

Was there this April. No problems whatsoever. Parked around the back. Security present. Felt totally safe, and locals were not savages. Enjoy Memphis, it's just fab.

Usual sensible precautions prevail but it's such a fantastic city, not that attractive perhaps in places, but rich in history. The Soulsville Foundation are also doing amazing stuff for the local community,

Edited by Windlesoul
Social source share

Went in September this year, drove there and parked in the car park at the back, no problems what so ever, never been anywhere as friendly as Memphis loved it was there for 10 days, did all the tourist things and it was all good, even walked around looking for records shops went right off the beaten track just me and the wife had no problems at all

If you staying on main st ride the trolly bus only a dollar a ride there's loads to see there

Would recommend, Frommers Nashvile And Memphis guide book as it has guides for different duration stays

Enjoy

Social source share

Have been several times and only just got out alive each time. Park on the street or in the back lot. Cover the plates up with bin bags so as not to attract attention.Better take weaponry and some body armour ...oh and a taser, just in case. Hi Records is in the same neighbourhood but you'll need a military vehicle to even get close.

Thanks Rob

That helps a lot  :thumbsup: I am assuming you are being "whimsical". 

We are going for a couple of days and plan to do Stax, Graceland, MLK museum, Sun Studios etc

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Thanks Rob

That helps a lot  :thumbsup: I am assuming you are being "whimsical". 

We are going for a couple of days and plan to do Stax, Graceland, MLK museum, Sun Studios etc

Of course!! Memphis is a great place. Good ol' Southern hospitality. Don't take a blind bit of notice of Tripe Advisor.You'll have a ball. Go to Beale Street.The Masqueraders used to play there every Friday night. R&B Museum downtown is good too.

Social source share

Go for it. Went with my wife April 2012, stayed 3 nights in Memphis as part of 2 week tour of deep south. IMO Stax museum is better than Hitsville which seems very sterile these days. Stax museum is rebuilt on site of original with the façade a replica of original. Museum is not just Stax but American Soul & well worth it. Parked on parking lot at back with no problems. Only about 15 mins drive from centre. But we did have a problem driving back in that we couldn't find exit off McLemore Avenue back to the city. Unnoticed by us the road we drove down from the city had changed name part way down. So we drove up & down McLemore a few times & got a few strange stares from the locals before we found our way back to the city.

Beale Street a must & well policed so no bother there. Went to a number of bars with great music including BB Kings where Memphis Jones (Trevor McDonald interviewed him) was on & did a great show.

There is a free shuttle between Sun Studios, Graceland & R&B/Soul Museum (opp Gibson Guitar Factory tour). All well worth visiting. I'm not an Elvis fan at all, but found Graceland interesting although the souvenir stores are as you would expect a bit tacky.

Also went to MLK museum on the $1 tram & walked back to city no problem.

If you are in the area the Blues Museum in Clarkesville south of Memphis is worth seeing. There is a glass case exhibit in there dedicated to Denise LaSalle including a copy of 'Love reputation' on Tarpon! But be aware Robert Plant has been there before you - in fact it seems everywhere over the deep south.

Enjoy it.

Social source share

Wonderful museum.

And I've had far more trouble and felt far more threatened around Beale Street than around Stax.

and beale street is not threatening either though, it's totally touristy. you're more likely to get threatened by drunk people there.

Social source share

Bob

I should have explained myself a little better. 

Beale itself is very well policed, however the area around it - Downtown - is a little less well looked after, and in the ten years I have been going to Memphis has been the only part of the city where I've ever had any trouble. 

That said, the trouble was no more than you would expect in any large city - panhandling, a car break in - and certainly nothing that would make you want to avoid the city.

Dean

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!