Frank Wilson On Uk Tamla Motown

Hi everyone

Would be grateful if somebody could please let me have the details for the two legit issues of "Do I Love You" on UK Tamla Motown.

Did a forum search but could not find the details.

I need the key distinguishing features between the two issues please (not demo).

Thank you  :thumbsup: 

Richard

Social source share

Hi everyone

Would be grateful if somebody could please let me have the details for the two legit issues of "Do I Love You" on UK Tamla Motown.

Did a forum search but could not find the details.

I need the key distinguishing features between the two issues please (not demo).

Thank you  :thumbsup: 

Richard

first version emi solid centre 2nd rca version has a gap round the centre and obviously chris clark on the flip instead of sweeter as the days go by 

kev

Edited by kevinsoulman
Social source share

Guest trickbag

1965: Do I Love You (Indeed I Do)/Sweeter As The Days Go By -- Soul 35019 (US). Reissued in 1979 Tamla Motown TMG 1170 (UK), twice more in the 1980s with the same catalogue number, then a version with a different vocal take with the number 9821530 in 2004.

you can read the compleate story here Richard.

www.frankwilson.co.uk/"Ž

ricky.

Social source share

I have the first UK release from 1979.  I was looking forward to coming out and being able to own it on legit single.

The only way to get it before this release was a bootleg credited to Eddie Foster on the IN label. (This was the cover-up title)

Mine has the four pronged centre, but is a definite first UK release.

Social source share

I have the first UK release from 1979.  I was looking forward to coming out and being able to own it on legit single.

The only way to get it before this release was a bootleg credited to Eddie Foster on the IN label. (This was the cover-up title)

Mine has the four pronged centre, but is a definite first UK release.

Does it have 1979 on the label or 1965 please  :g:

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

Guest garysoul82

I have just sold a very first issue 1979 demo in the black&white promotional written sleeve and it was dated 1965.

I bought it a year after it came out so a big wrench to let it go.

Social source share

emi 1965

rca 1979

kev

Just had a look at mine, can see no reference to EMI or RCA on it, it's dated 1965 with a 4 prong centre not solid as in the scanned one

So that makes it the first issue on EMI, is that right solid or pronged centre makes no odds?

Edited by miff
Social source share

Just had a look at mine, can see no reference to EMI or RCA on it, it's dated 1965 with a 4 prong centre not solid as in the scanned one

So that makes it the first issue on EMI, is that right solid or pronged centre makes no odds?

4 PRONGED LABEL EMI FIRST ISSUE FROM 1979 I BELIEVE ANY AFTER THAT ARE RCA  WHATEVER THEY HAVE GOT ON THEM DATE WISE

KEV

Social source share

The reference to EMI is in the small writing around the edge of the label. This blurb starts at around 8 O'Clock with the words "EMI RECORDS LTD. ALL RIGHTS ..." (see photo below)

Have now checked mine which I bought c.1979. It's an issue with a 4-pronged centre, the EMI reference as above, a plain black sleeve and the date 1965 on the label.

Cheers

Richard

Click on images to see bigger picture

post-12286-0-55963400-1383512826_thumb.j

post-12286-0-27093800-1383513676_thumb.j

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

Hi All...The record has been booted to look like the original in recent times, on VIIP,  However the first available BOOT was in 78 using the cover up name of Eddie Foster, the 1st Tamla Motown copy 79, EMI DEMO had picture sleeve, FACTORY SAMPLE, used the same stamper as the DEMO, issues used 5 stampers?.. RCA release was one of the first for the new owners, BOX SET Release has both male & female vocals, (it's a shame that the other 45s have little value to the collector), why the EMI copy fetches big money compared to the others is a mystery to me.  DAVE K.

Social source share

Hi All...The record has been booted to look like the original in recent times, on VIIP, However the first available BOOT was in 78 using the cover up name of Eddie Foster, the 1st Tamla Motown copy 79, EMI DEMO had picture sleeve, FACTORY SAMPLE, used the same stamper as the DEMO, issues used 5 stampers?.. RCA release was one of the first for the new owners, BOX SET Release has both male & female vocals, (it's a shame that the other 45s have little value to the collector), why the EMI copy fetches big money compared to the others is a mystery to me. DAVE K.

Had my EMI copy up for sale on here a couple of weeks ago and not one enquiry, may be selling in the wrong place

Edited by miff
Social source share

• 2 months later...

:hatsoff2: HI ALL....WHY AM I LOOKING AT TMG 1170 TODAY OF ALL DAYS.. Coz I can, and I have found something that I have never noticed before.

Having tried to get a picture for you & failing, I will describe for you the MATRIX # at the 3 o clock position A. At the 9 o clock position ; .

At the 6 o clock  TMG 1170  A1, however on the outer groove underneath TMG 1170, it reads  BLAiRS, now that could be I have Tony Blairs original copy, or some other Blair, as people tended to put their name on records years ago, or it could have been done at the pressing plant, similar to the "PORKEYS PRIME CUT" mark,  or it could be only on 1st run DEMO 7 factory samples,

Not having another to compare it with, can someone inform me if it on their EMI copy .CHEERS DAVE K

post-13241-0-38238400-1390270507_thumb.jpost-13241-0-73258000-1390270547_thumb.j this shows nothing?

Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL....WHY AM I LOOKING AT TMG 1170 TODAY OF ALL DAYS.. Coz I can, and I have found something that I have never noticed before.

Having tried to get a picture for you & failing, I will describe for you the MATRIX # at the 3 o clock position A. At the 9 o clock position ; .

At the 6 o clock  TMG 1170  A1, however on the outer groove underneath TMG 1170, it reads  BLAiRS, now that could be I have Tony Blairs original copy, or some other Blair, as people tended to put their name on records years ago, or it could have been done at the pressing plant, similar to the "PORKEYS PRIME CUT" mark,  or it could be only on 1st run DEMO 7 factory samples,

Not having another to compare it with, can someone inform me if it on their EMI copy .CHEERS DAVE K

Hello Dave,

"Blairs" will be on all copies, it would have been inscribed on the lacquer master when it was cut by Chris Blair at EMI Abbey Road. He ended up as chief mastering engineer at EMI so you'll see his mark on a lot of records.

Another common name on EMI pressings from the mid 1970s was Nick W (Nick Webb) who also worked at the Abbey Road studios.

I've had a lot of lacquers cut at EMI Abbey Road since the late 1980s (mostly on DMM copper plates) so one day I'll check some 45s to see if any have names inscribed on them.

By the way, Abbey Road didn't just cut lacquers for the EMI pressing plant. I've used various other plants since the EMI factory closed down in the late 1990s but often still used Abbey Road for disc cutting.

Paul

Social source share

Hello Dave,

"Blairs" will be on all copies, it would have been inscribed on the lacquer master when it was cut by Chris Blair at EMI Abbey Road. He ended up as chief mastering engineer at EMI so you'll see his mark on a lot of records.

Another common name on EMI pressings from the mid 1970s was Nick W (Nick Webb) who also worked at the Abbey Road studios.

I've had a lot of lacquers cut at EMI Abbey Road since the late 1980s (mostly on DMM copper plates) so one day I'll check some 45s to see if any have names inscribed on them.

By the way, Abbey Road didn't just cut lacquers for the EMI pressing plant. I've used various other plants since the EMI factory closed down in the late 1990s but often still used Abbey Road for disc cutting.

Paul

CHEERS PAUL.. Some times it's well worth asking the question as I did not know that info, the Abbey road acetates apart from EMIDISC were DICK JAMES MUSIC, NORTHERN SONGS, then APPLE took over,

I have had REGGAE on APPLE ACITATES so there could well be some rare soul out there on APPLE, I have a few BLANK APPLE LP & 45 LABELS, WHICH COME FROM THE APPLE SHOP, They must be collectable but I don't think I would get much for them maybe £15 the pair A & B sides, I may be wrong,

However they are not for sale. CHERS FOR THE INFO. .Dave K

Social source share

• 3 years later...

Well I know this is a few years later but as this thread is still open I wanted to contribute something. My personal copy what I got when it was realised in 1979 is the emi one but do other folks who bought it then remember the insert that came with it?

P1070316.JPG

• Up vote 1
Social source share

And the uk release was from the stereo masters merged into a mono sound. Motown didn’t have the mono master. Ironically, unless you are rich and can find a copy the only way (I believe) to get a true mono copy is the Eddie foster boot.... please don’t shoot me, just sharing ..

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!