Marke Or Chris Jackson Etc. Etc

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

As I remember things (& my memory is shot these days), the US recording was sent to Dave Godin for his consideration (of a UK release).

He thought the song / singer had potential but asked for changes to be made to the finished recording (mix / overall sound wise).

Back in the US they made the changes he had asked for & the resulting track is what was issued on the Soul City 45.

The US release used a different version (not sure if it was the original take as sent to Dave Godin initially or not).

UK 45 sold well and so Chris (Marke) cut further tracks for UK release but Soul City (shop & label) went bust just as the follow-up was about to escape here.

Chris had made the trip over here with a view to promoting his British releases and a big article on him (based around an interview) was published in B&S at the time.

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

He's actually (or was) still around as mad as a hatter, he was by all accounts "difficult" in his younger years. If I'm not mistaken there's a second record from him that never actually got a release. I seem to remember Tony Rounce had some sort of copy and Pete Smith had a ruff cassette taped copy.

Edited by Chris L
Social source share

You're probably talking about what would have been the last Soul City release had it come out. SC 120 "Since There's No Doubt". It has the same backing track as Total Eclipes on Right On. Jackson was apparentley a bit of a loose cannon. Ended up in a punch up in Soul City record shop and him storming off with unfinished business. It is alleged that he spent his last few nights in London living it up in a Heathrow Hotel before departing back to the US. He told reception staff to charge it all to his 'employer' Soul City records.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!