Rochelles On Spacey Records-Same Group That Backed Gino Washington?

Robbk

I think Spacey Records were pressed in New York.  But, I'd like to know if this was the same Detroit female group that backed Gino Washington on his 1964 Amon and Wand releases on sessions recorded in Detroit. The record label design is similar to Harry Balk's Twirl Records design from 1964, and his writers and artists home town was Detroit, although he often took his artists to New York to record them, and had the records pressed there. I'd still refer to Twirl as a Detroit label. I wonder if "Spacey" had a similar situation.

Was there a different "Rochelles" female group in New York, at the very same time(1963-64)? It's really not possible to determine by their sound, if they are the same people, as the Spacey cuts have a distinctive lead singer, but all The Rochelles sang in the background on Gino's cuts.

On the You-Tube page where it is uploaded, the record is listed as released in 1964.  The uptempo side. "Teardrops" sounds like 1964, or possibly 1963.  The ballad side is undatable from listening.

Any help would be appreciated.

post-7112-0-86786100-1383498084_thumb.pn

Social source share

• Replies 2
  • Views 877
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

The fast side has a Detroit 1963 style.  Here's a link to an audio/video:

I'd like to know if people think this is a different New York group, or they were the same Detroit girls who backed Gino Washington in his "Review" (regular local act).  Was there documentation of a New York group during 1963-64, and was there evidence that The Rochelles that backed Gino also appeared and recorded as a separate group?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert