The Motown 7S Box Set: Rare And Unused

Ianw

I was sweating on getting some of these in to sell on the site: was told on Friday that they'd all gone - sounds like a lucky escape! Bit shoddy for a major label to screw up so royally...amazon can afford to absorb the cost of refunding postage for returns etc but for small shops supplying these and trying to be competitive then having to deal with returns and lost postage costs it ends up being more hassle and expense than it's worth!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I was sweating on getting some of these in to sell on the site: was told on Friday that they'd all gone - sounds like a lucky escape! Bit shoddy for a major label to screw up so royally...amazon can afford to absorb the cost of refunding postage for returns etc but for small shops supplying these and trying to be competitive then having to deal with returns and lost postage costs it ends up being more hassle and expense than it's worth!

Jason you could always break the box set up and sell them individually - I know one UK dealer was selling individual singles from the Numero box set (45 singles for $250) for £100 each!!!

Social source share

The  plot thickens here at least, just played all seven records both sides and there is also a skip on 'Clip My Wings' think I'm just gonna pack the whole thing up and send it back, it's a shame but I've lost confidence in buying another one if they exchange it for a good one then all well and good otherwise I'll have my money back.

Edited by Mark Bicknell
Social source share

I think with the limited run on this and seeing what happened to the CD put out in the early 90's (last time I looked over £100), anyone with a missing record would be better placed to try and find a trade on here from someone with a surplus copy.....sending it back and you'll probably get a credit note, when what tyou really want is the record.

Social source share

Got this for my birthday today, all present and correct (0210/2000) but the label on the Marvin Gaye is a it bubbled and has some extra bits of paper on it like a cover was not fully removed.

Well chuffed though and might buy another to sit on until the price goes up or keep unopened :-))

Social source share

I think with the limited run on this and seeing what happened to the CD put out in the early 90's (last time I looked over £100), anyone with a missing record would be better placed to try and find a trade on here from someone with a surplus copy.....sending it back and you'll probably get a credit note, when what tyou really want is the record.

Which CD is that Steve?

Social source share

Well just recieved box set 01933 from amazon yep you guessed it 2 barbara mcnairs no marvin gaye.Sent it back to amazon,spoke to a guy at universal says did not no about any problem but would pass it on.Four reviews on amazon three with records missing its a disgraceful of universai.

Edited by Mick Reed
Social source share

i have 106 and 107 both boxs missing record Marvin gaye

Interesting mines #109 and all present and correct. I havent had chance to play any as turntables not set up/been busy but hoping I fair better than Mark on these.

Ray

Edited by Raym
Social source share

two barbara mcnairs / david ruffins  , no marvin gaye and the spinners , somebody must have two copies of the marvin gaye /  spinners tracks , expected better than this , was going to return but don't really want to , will give universal a chance to sort it.  no 01885 / 2000

Edited by gogger
Social source share

You'd have thought that Universal would be recalling all remaining product from the retailers, or asking the retailers to check prior to despatch, given the high percentage of negative feedback on this site alone.  Probably with a limited run of 2000 it's not worth their while, but it doesn't do their reputation much good, and I would imagine Mr Searling will be tempted to take any future business elsewhere.

Social source share

Which CD was it?

I sold a copy of the box set on here ( I received 2 from Amazon by mistake ) for £55 inc p&p. I thought I would be selling to someone who didn't have a copy although now realise that might not be the case not that I have a problem with that. Didn't really occur to me that it might become a collectors item and suppose that's why I'd make a useless record dealer.

Best Mike

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Which CD was it?

I sold a copy of the box set on here ( I received 2 from Amazon by mistake ) for £55 inc p&p. I thought I would be selling to someone who didn't have a copy although now realise that might not be the case not that I have a problem with that. Didn't really occur to me that it might become a collectors item and suppose that's why I'd make a useless record dealer.

Best Mike

Dear Mr Stoned,

I believe we may have sent you an additional copy of the Motown 7s Boxset by mistake.  We would appreciate it if you could hand the extra copy to the courier who will be calling within the next two days.  Sorry for any inconvenience.  Please accept a free MP3 download to the value of £1.

Regards,

Amazon.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

just called amazon they told me they are not selling anymore because of the complaints , plus it has maybe sold out anyway imo , they said return it for a refund , called universal back they said again to call amazon it has nothing to do with them as i got from amazon , not happy with universal at all , don't think they care.

Social source share

I sent Universal an email over the weekend regarding the skipping problem of three of the records, no reply as yet, fact is it's Universals problem and in my opinion if it's only a few copies with a production fault it's too many one is too many in my book, a major company like this should have everything in place regarding quality control, because of such a small production run I bet the master stampers were not checked enough to highlight the fault during production, I've lost total confidence in the package and just going to get a refund, the joke is you have to wait up to 30 days for a refund and I paid via pay pal within seconds.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi it was a US collection of unissued Motown, early 90s I think started with david ruffin I want you back. It's in my lock up so I cannot remember the details.

This one Steve?......

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00000AFEE/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=103612307&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000BPI2AE&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=1GAK97CHS494KQFV7CYW

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

No, now I think about it, it was a limited ciculation thing, 3,200 copies worldwide. Maybe it was a David Ruffin CD? Jees, I cannot remember now!  

Social source share

It appears the high numbers (1800 +) are the "defective" packs, whereas the low numbers (100+) are all OK. Unfortunately that leaves a whole bunch that are either good or bad

I don't think it has anything to do with the numbers of the box more to do with when they were packed, perhaps the first 1000 copies pressed were ok nice and clean then the impurity has infected the mastering or something so the later pressed records skip? or it might simply be bad luck and it's only a couple of sets that are dodgy, either way I'm sure Universal don't need the hassle, bad press and problems this is causing. 

Social source share

I am now getting nervous with all these bods posting that "their copy is allright nar nar".....increasing the odds that mine, once it arrives won't be! I got it from a small trader who only had the one copy - did Tubbs do wrong Edward?  :ohmy:

now now Steve I was only trying to add some information (and reassurance to the discussion) - and just think if yours is not OK I will finally have a record you have not got!!!   :)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Seems to be a total cock up , about a week ago everybody was waiting for their copies with anticipation now lots of people are f**ked off and on the horns of a dilemma whether to hang on to or send back the set . Be interesting to see how Universal handle this its not going to be easy with it being a limited run and could take ages to sort out.

Not good for the suppliers too having to deal with returns. Hope it works out fine for everyone .

Social source share

I sent Universal an email over the weekend regarding the skipping problem of three of the records, no reply as yet, fact is it's Universals problem and in my opinion if it's only a few copies with a production fault it's too many one is too many in my book, a major company like this should have everything in place regarding quality control, because of such a small production run I bet the master stampers were not checked enough to highlight the fault during production, I've lost total confidence in the package and just going to get a refund, the joke is you have to wait up to 30 days for a refund and I paid via pay pal within seconds.

mark try this phone number , 0845 070 2036 , if you bought off universal , you might get a better answer than i did

Social source share

mark try this phone number , 0845 070 2036 , if you bought off universal , you might get a better answer than i did

Cheers mate for that but I think it will be a total waste of time calling them, mines off to the post office sending it back, what I will suggest to everyone sending it back is to send it 'sign for' mail just in case there are any problems or issues of it not getting there.

Social source share

Cheers mate for that but I think it will be a total waste of time calling them, mines off to the post office sending it back, what I will suggest to everyone sending it back is to send it 'sign for' mail just in case there are any problems or issues of it not getting there.

ok mark , was deffo a waste of time when i phoned them , 

Social source share

No, now I think about it, it was a limited ciculation thing, 3,200 copies worldwide. Maybe it was a David Ruffin CD? Jees, I cannot remember now!  

Sounds more likely Steve, well documented as the limited run of 1000 which then went for £100 a copy.  I missed it then so was glad when Universal recently saw fit to do a general release.

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

How can you regret sending something back when three of the records skip? I simply wanted a set which I can play and  enjoy and not just to look at which is not asking too much is it from such a well established huge company like Universal, the only regret I will have is not getting a perfect copy but would sooner not have it if the records don't play.

have not played mine yet mark , if they skip they will be going back  , useless if they don't play

Social source share

Well just recieved box set 01933 from amazon yep you guessed it 2 barbara mcnairs no marvin gaye.Sent it back to amazon,spoke to a guy at universal says did not no about any problem but would pass it on.Four reviews on amazon three with records missing its a disgraceful of universai.

Well just a quick update to my previous post,had a phone call from universal this afternoon informimg me they had sold over 800 sets without any problems.And i can  fly.

Social source share

Well just a quick update to my previous post,had a phone call from universal this afternoon informimg me they had sold over 800 sets without any problems.And i can  fly.

I wonder how many of those are Christmas presents which won't be opened for another month?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!