The Motown 7S Box Set: Rare And Unused

Ianw

Hi it was a US collection of unissued Motown, early 90s I think started with david ruffin I want you back. It's in my lock up so I cannot remember the details.

First time I came across this track was on the U.S. cd Motown Sings Motown Treasures vol 1 which was released in the mid nineties , it has since been re released in Britain. 

Social source share

I don't think it has anything to do with the numbers of the box more to do with when they were packed, perhaps the first 1000 copies pressed were ok nice and clean then the impurity has infected the mastering or something so the later pressed records skip? or it might simply be bad luck and it's only a couple of sets that are dodgy, either way I'm sure Universal don't need the hassle, bad press and problems this is causing. 

Yes Mark - this was an early (and wrong) suggestion that the numbers held the key. It became apparent a few hours after, that the numbering had nothing to do with it. You simply have to open them and hope for the best.

Cheers

Mick

Social source share

No, now I think about it, it was a limited ciculation thing, 3,200 copies worldwide. Maybe it was a David Ruffin CD? Jees, I cannot remember now!  

Blimey, never realised that a CD could be worth any money when you can simply duplicate it electronically. There's one on Ebay at the moment BIN for £175. I'm happy to simply play it on Spotify for nothing and own the vinyl that was released from the shelved album, Each Day Is A Lifetime being the best.

Edited by autumnstoned
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest east rob

Received my box set today. They have sent the WRONG box set, got a mod singles 1965-1967 box set instead. Am awaiting reply

Steve

same here mate, no reply as yet...

Social source share

Blimey, never realised that a CD could be worth any money when you can simply duplicate it electronically. There's one on Ebay at the moment BIN for £175. I'm happy to simply play it on Spotify for nothing and own the vinyl that was released fr

d album, Each Day Is A Lifetime being the best.

I am genuinely bemused when I read things like this......why shouldn't an original CD be worth money like an original vinyl? The copying thing is irrelevant as these days for a few quid, if you already have a pc which most do, it's as easy to copy vinyl.....either way you no longer have an original! ! I can understand vinyl being a preference but the notion that a CD can't be collectible makes me smile.

Cheers,

Mark R

Edited by Mark R
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

it now says its ended the copy on ebay

i ordered a copy from amazon on saturday. i'll let ya know if its full of marvin's . :)

Yeah, it went within about five minutes of me posting.

I am waiting for a box from Universal, ordered it on Saturday for a mate.

Hoping there will be a Marvin Gaye in there too.

It's all a bit weird really, a music scene based around rare records and here, before our very eyes, we are witnessing the birth of a brand new rarity... 

Social source share

i still haven't opened mine, though i am now considering it necessary....i wouldn't hold out much hope that universal will re-press, not with volume 2 on the drawing board,...dilemma definitely is the word...across the century of posts, the thread has turned from excited optimism to undisguised frustration which, in the broader scheme of things,will no doubt turn to anger. universal need to address these issues promptly. richard put a great box together here, it appears he's being let down by discrepancies that should have been thoroughly checked ( quality control ) before the finished package left the pressing plant. i think we all understand the implication of a limited run:....a sustained rise in value over an increasingly short period of years....alright, even i'd deem it as a sort of nest egg and i wouldn't be the only one, but i'm not going to resort to getting people over a barrel, so to speak...it's all too common in the northern soul auction rooms and this box set won't be treated any different...unfortunately universal have already created this scenario, whereby if they are not in the position to replace duff/missing discs, the only sets that will maintain genuine value are the one's that ARE complete...anyway, i'm still looking at mine and trying to figure out if i can cheat and get it re-shrinkwrapped!! :g:  :wicked:  :rofl:

Edited by AGENTSMITH
Social source share

Well just a quick update to my previous post,had a phone call from universal this afternoon informimg me they had sold over 800 sets without any problems.And i can  fly.

does that mean around 1400 have problems?!!!

Edited by ajb
Social source share

Guest east rob

I was dissapointed also, mine was from reflex in Newcastle via Amazon and contained the mod 45s box set 1965-1967 which is odd.

Ron

ditto

Social source share

Guest ineptmod45

no. 1984/2000, 2 x Barbara McNair! I have ordered one for a friend from Amazon that should come tomorrow, will be a moral dilemma if his has the full set!

Social source share

Very useful thread thanks. Looking forward to this arriving...ordered from Soul Brother Records and had an email today from Laurence in the shop to ask if I minded him opening it to check all present and correct before posting out. "Shipped" confirmation seen so hopefully all good. Great service indeed as this was never going to be just left on the shelf at home still sealed and gathering dust. Records are made to be played.

Cheers, Steve

Yeah, I can see why people would want it sealed when receiving but in this case - and assuming people are going to open them to play anyway - if a shop opens to check it's ok then it saves everyone's time, effort and money: if they're duff Soul Brother will just return them to Universal for a refund...begs the question what Universal will do with them once received...maybe press up the missing 45/s, reseal and resell? Perhaps that's what they should do in individual cases but it'd be a logistical nightmare pressing a few at a time, maybe? Wonder if these were hand packed?   :g:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

*01180/2000 all present and correct, just played them through, and every things fine, (boy, they do sound great)

I must say i feel for those that have problems, as this is a lovely set, so i feel blessed to have received a good one.

its a shame its been let down by an error on someones part.

lets hope if theres another, things are put in place, to stop the problems happening again. 

good luck to those affected, and hope you get it sorted soon  :thumbsup:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

But Steve - think how less stressful it would be - you don't have to worry if the Marvin Gaye is missing or if a few skip - you can live in blissful ignorance and just sit and admire it!!

Hello Mike, the thought of living in Blissful Ignorance really appeals to me.

I might buy a house there.

:thumbsup:

Social source share

After reading the previous comments,to say I was wary of what mine would be like would be an understatement,just picked it from the post office,all present and correct disc wise,tiny skip on Four Tops.The sound clip on Universal for the Isley Brothers"my love" plays the alternate take,but the box set 45 plays the regular version? Other than that delighted with mine.

Social source share

Just had an email back from Universal all very sorry for the problems, they can't exchange the faulty records but can offer a full replacement which has been raised with the warehouse team, they do have stock to replace so all is good so far, seems that they will put it right, just make the complaint direct and polite and they seem to respond.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Just had an email back from Universal all very sorry for the problems, they can't exchange the faulty records but can offer a full replacement which has been raised with the warehouse team, they do have stock to replace so all is good so far, seems that they will put it right, just make the complaint direct and polite and they seem to respond.

Tried that mark but they told me there wasnt problem.

Social source share

Just ordered off Amazon.ca and went mad and bought the Fame box as well. Fingers and toes crossed for no duplicates, skips etc etc.

I was always firmly in the "do not break the shrink" camp but I read at the time there was an issue with the Funk 45's box set so opened it and found 2 copies of a 45 and 1 missing. Since then I have opened everything.

Social source share

The last box set I bought was a Trojan one, Lucky Sevens, I only wanted one of the singles so I took it, sold the rest separately and threw the box away  :g:

I bought the Trojan 'Haunted House' Skinhead Sevens box set for £25 and I've since seen it go for 4 times that much!

Reckon a good set of this Motown box will fetch a nice price in the future. 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!