The Motown 7S Box Set: Rare And Unused

Ianw

I bought the Trojan 'Haunted House' Skinhead Sevens box set for £25 and I've since seen it go for 4 times that much!

Reckon a good set of this Motown box will fetch a nice price in the future. 

Yeah those Haunted House box sets were being sold off for like a tenner in one of the major chains, they had so many unsold copies, then they released the leftover singles separately, and fast forward five years, the boxes now get listed for £75 or so...

Social source share

I've just spoken to Universal to enquire about an order I placed on Saturday because I would have expected an 'Order Despatched' confirmation email by now. The person on the other end of the phone said that all orders for this item (with Universal only I assume) have now been put "on hold" due to duplicate record issues. The order I currently had was cancelled on the phone. 

I was informed that I will receive an email update when the issue has been resolved and they begin shipping this item again.

We'll see what happens.

Social source share

Here you go boys.....Universal comes to life!

I am contacting you regarding an issue with your recent order of The Motown 7s Vinyl Box Set.

In the past couple of days it has come to our attention that there has been some serious flaws in the production of this vinyl set. It appears that some discs are missing, some are duplicated and there is no sign of some at all. Please accept my deepest apologies for this as I realise this will cause disappointment.

You are able to see other peoples experiences of the set's issues through the product reviews on Amazon.

Due to these severe mistakes by the production team, Universal Music have recalled all stock and so of course we do not have any available to fulfil your order.

We have been in contact with Universal Music over the past couple of days to see when we will receive new stock in but they have been unable to give us a date as of yet.

I am truly sorry for any inconvenience caused by this mistake, this was of course out of our control.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I am contacting you regarding an issue with your recent order of The Motown 7s Vinyl Box Set.

In the past couple of days it has come to our attention that there has been some serious flaws in the production of this vinyl set. It appears that some discs are missing, some are duplicated and there is no sign of some at all. Please accept my deepest apologies for this as I realise this will cause disappointment.

You are able to see other peoples experiences of the set's issues through the product reviews on Amazon.

Due to these severe mistakes by the production team, Universal Music have recalled all stock and so of course we do not have any available to fulfil your order.

We have been in contact with Universal Music over the past couple of days to see when we will receive new stock in but they have been unable to give us a date as of yet.

I am truly sorry for any inconvenience caused by this mistake, this was of course out of our control.

Thanks for the update, Steve.  I'm expecting a similar response as I have e-mailed their support team.  Universal, the record label that stole Christmas.

Social source share

01728 all present and accounted for, will have to play through them tonight.

Edit: Played through them. The Four Tops jumps, and the Marvin Gaye is badly dish warped so virtually unpolayable.

What a load of shite this box set is. I shall be returning mine, and not bothering buying another.

Edited by Dave Rimmer
Social source share

Well it seems it's still available to buy  from Universal despite all of the expressed concerns, and no mention of delays in shipping:

https://store.universal-music.co.uk/restofworld/soul+r+b/various-artists-the-motown-7s-box/invt/0600753454251

Well it seems it's still available to buy  from Universal despite all of the expressed concerns, and no mention of delays in shipping:

https://store.universal-music.co.uk/restofworld/soul+r+b/various-artists-the-motown-7s-box/invt/0600753454251

JUST ORDERED ANOTHER FROM UNIVERSAL WEB SITE , BUT GIRL ON PHONE SAID THERE WAS NONE LEFT , IF I GET ONE AND ITS OK I WILL RETURN AMAZON ONE BACK , FINGERS CROSSED

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I just had the same email from Amazon. Well at least they didn't send me a dodgy box, but I wonder if I will ever get one? What a fooking cock up.

Social source share

Just got in to find a courier note saying no one in to sign please ring to arrange time for delivery, rang and given two options arrange del time between Mon-Fri during office hours or collect in person, I don't get home till gone five and the depot is thirty miles away, why do these dolls heads just assume that someone will be at home all day, communication would be very much welcome like this is the courier we use and they only deliver during office hours if this is not convenient  we will make other arrangements, surely that's not too much to ask! Getting p!$$ed off already and I haven't even got them yet.

Social source share

I received a similar email earlier today from the Amazon Seller I chose to use.  Those poor sellers are as disappointed as we are 

Going on Amazon now to cancel my order, as it wouldn't let me do it on the mobile earlier, and by doing it that way I'm not affecting the Sellers Statistics who are completely embarrassed with the situation Universal have put them in  :(

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I can see this getting really silly, just wondering how long it's going to take to get a replacement or refund, I got mine directly from Universal and sent it back yesterday, email said that there is stock there to replace they just can't replace the dodgy records on their own it has to be a fresh complete set, what worries me if these go out unchecked that the same problems are going to happen again, records skipping, records missing etc. would it not be fair to suggest a complete re press of the dodgy tracks which seem to be Temps, Tops and Spinners and a full quality control check throughout the process, someone somewhere is gonna get a good result out of this buying up all the faulty stock to sift through it and sell the good copies, I bet single copies will start to surface over the coming months for sale guaranteed, I think some of us would simply be happy with a playable complete and correct set. 

Edited by Mark Bicknell
Social source share

00859 & 00867 With no faults here.
Apart from the records being terribly static and attract all the small pieces of paper from the sleeves. Recordedges are sharp and roughly cut to one side and the volume of eg My Love Is Your Love by the Isleys is exactly that of the MFP Album I have. So the mastering technician must have been been very conservative here on his cutting diamond.

I find normally 45's are louder than albums. Or the MFP was cut louder than average maybe. (Don't want to boast but mine's a Dutch pressing)

And I prefer mono versions.

But aside from this, wonderful boxset.
I hope the ones intended as christmaspresents dont turn out to be unpleasant surprises.

Yos

Edited by Yos Zoul
Social source share

I can see this getting really silly, just wondering how long it's going to take to get a replacement or refund, I got mine directly from Universal and sent it back yesterday, email said that there is stock there to replace they just can't replace the dodgy records on their own it has to be a fresh complete set, what worries me if these go out unchecked that the same problems are going to happen again, records skipping, records missing etc. would it not be fair to suggest a complete re press of the dodgy tracks which seem to be Temps, Tops and Spinners and a full quality control check throughout the process, someone somewhere is gonna get a good result out of this buying up all the faulty stock to sift through it and sell the good copies, I bet single copies will start to surface over the coming months for sale guaranteed, I think some of us would simply be happy with a playable complete and correct set. 

Nearest refuse tip to Universal please anybody !!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

yes I have received a similar email from my chosen amazon seller , now do I keep my order with them and hope it gets sorted or cancel and try going direct to universal .. to say I am annoyed is an understatement , why the hell can't a major record company like universal get this sort of thing right first time without the cock ups is truly beyond me

Social source share

and socks lol

I ordered a box set of 7 socks and I hope I don't get an odd assortment of different colours because it will be difficult to make matching pairs.

And I don't want any socks that skip and jump.

So I might not open the box, just to avoid disappointment.

:thumbsup: 

Edited by Paul
Social source share

Not sure I should post this or not after reading some recent comments, where clearly many people have been badly let down on this box set, but guessing people want to know there are complete box sets out there to give some hope....

I got home today to find delivery number 00685 through the door all present and correct. Apart from nearly cutting myself on one of them (bit rough on the edges!) this has just given me an absolutely brilliant hour playing most through twice and reading the notes whilst listening to each 45 and dancing about a bit in the process before the wife n kids got in. Many I knew & had heard out and about etc, but a few I've never heard and just love at first listen. Best £50 spent this year. :)

Thanks again to those involved in creating it (notwithstanding the major negative issues of course) and to Laurence at Soul Brother for picking up on the problem and checking all was okay before posting. Just a superb service and great shop generally. :thumbsup: ...Guessing that little stock will go pretty quick now, if not gone already.

Cheers and I genuinely hope everyone does get a full working box of these gems real soon.

Steve

• Helpful 3
Social source share

00859 & 00867 With no faults here.

Apart from the records being terribly static and attract all the small pieces of paper from the sleeves.

I hope the ones intended as christmaspresents dont turn out to be unpleasant surprises.

Yos

Not sure I should post this or not after reading some recent comments, where clearly many people have been badly let down on this box set, but guessing people want to know there are complete box sets out there to give some hope....

I got home today to find delivery number 00685 through the door all present and correct.

Cheers and I genuinely hope everyone does get a full working box of these gems real soon.

Steve

Mine was 00843, also lucky enough to be the full set, and on first listen through all fine too. Good luck to all with returns and suppliers, and I liked the comment in an earlier post "Universal, the record company that stole Christmas"!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

WELL THATS BOX 00908 PLAYED AND CLIP MY WINGS JUMPS ABOUT 3 TIMES ALSO THE MIX SEEMS TO FADE IN AND OUT ,WHILST ALL THE OTHER SIDES LOOK FLAWLESS THE 4 TOPS CLIP MY WINGS LOOKS VERY STRANGE ANY ONE ELSE NOTICE THIS.

KEV 

WILL PLAY THE OTHERS OVER THE NEXT FEW DAYS AND REPORT IN 

KEV

Kev- Yes mine looks strange but does play right through OK. Regarding the mix - I've never been that sure of it - I can see why it was never released, can't imagine that instrumental bridge going down well at the Monday morning meeting either!

Played through most of it and only the Temptations is obviously faulty.

Mike 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The whole sorry saga has been a complete fiasco, and an embarrassment to Richard Searling (I know he isn't responsible for the shambles, but it has his name on it !).

How on earth did this manage to get through to the sales stage without someone noticing that it was so obviously wrong ? I've emailed Universal about returning my copy, and I certainly have no intention in taking part in the lottery by asking for it to be replaced. I'll have my money back, and the MP3 downloads thank you.

Social source share

Yep a major quality control issue........If a small company like Numero can get it right, maybe time for the mighty Universal to outsource their "special products" to Numero......they're clearly in a mess over it...Yep am sure Richard will be as disappointed as the rest of us caught up in this fiasco - he likes to do things properly as everyone knows.

So now we have what 1000 happy campers (allowing for multiple purchases)......and hundreds of others holding their breath while some poor sod has to try and work out what they've got left. With Xmas coming I can well see them just "binning" the project.....Just wondering how long before some "opportunist" comes on here offering a set for sale at £70......  :rolleyes:

I purchased from a small supplier, I have asked them to hold my order for 2-3 weeks to see what happens.

Bah Humbug!

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

After getting the message from Soul Brother to ask if I don't mind them opening the box first and checking, I have now received an e-mail saying that my order is complete. I guess that means the box is good to go. I await with baited breath. 

I have had the same messages so pressume goods on way, lets see what turns up

Social source share

Still awaiting despatch information from Universal, but on a brighter note, WOW HD have just informed me they have despatched the Raphael Saadiq vinyl boxset I ordered on Monday.  Hopefully that'll be £30 well spent.

Here's the link, if anybody is interested....

https://www.wowhd.co.uk/home/raphael-saadiq-way-i-see-it-7-inch-vinyl-boxset/dp/4719343#bc=2f17

Incidentally, they stock the Motown 7s boxset, but it's £60, although they regularly have 15% off promotions (last one was Monday, although there's a different 12 Days of Christmas promotion each day)......

https://www.wowhd.co.uk/home/various-motown-7s-box-rare-unused/dp/35684579#bc=021b

Social source share

Well, from the 'other side' so to speak I've been trying to get some of these to sell on the site for 3 weeks - countless faffing around by Universal - instock, out of stock, none left, 10 left - resulting in an email on Friday from my rep saying there were 10 on hold. I was in two minds about going through with the order given the almighty cock-up but figured I could do what I advised laurence to do which was to suggest opening/checking etc. So having paid for the 10 copies with an assurance that 'they'll be sent for delivery on Tuesday' it was only when I phoned up yesterday to check when they were arriving that one of their drones cheerfully exclaimed that the order had 'failed'. I was like, but I didn't 'fail to pay up, can I have my cash back please' to which they cheerfully informed me 'No, we can't do that, you'll have a credit for the next f*ck up we manufacture'. Biggest record company in the world not sure which one is it's a*rse and which one its elbow.  :dash2:

Social source share

I have just played my temptations and it had a couple of audible clicks at the beginning i'd say about three or four revolutions in,i checked under a USB microscope and there was a small white deposit on the record .I removed this carefully and now no clicks  Could this be the problem

Could it be coming off the covers ie some sort of coating

Edited by smudger
Social source share

WELL THATS BOX 00908 PLAYED AND CLIP MY WINGS JUMPS ABOUT 3 TIMES ALSO THE MIX SEEMS TO FADE IN AND OUT ,WHILST ALL THE OTHER SIDES LOOK FLAWLESS THE 4 TOPS CLIP MY WINGS LOOKS VERY STRANGE ANY ONE ELSE NOTICE THIS.

KEV 

WILL PLAY THE OTHERS OVER THE NEXT FEW DAYS AND REPORT IN 

KEV

Yes Kev I noticed that it looked almost dirty if that makes any sense, thought it was a little odd before I sent it back.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Here's the email I had yesterday from Universal.

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your reply.

I am sorry to hear that this has happend. I have raised this issue with your
warehouse team who said they have stock to replace.

Unfortunately, as its limited they are unable to send out replacements for the
faulty items and can only replace the whole order. They have assured me that
they do have stock left for a replacement.

If I can ask that you send the item back to us at the following address (we will
refund your postage) and I will send your replacement via express delivery as
good will gesture -

Customer Returns,
Universal Music c/o Arvato UK,
Chippenham Drive,
Kingston,
Milton Keynes,
MK10 0AT

Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused, and hopefully you
should recieve your order shortly.

Kind Regards,

Anthony O'Brien
Universal Music

Universal Music Direct Support Team

If you reply to this email, please do not change the subject line.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!