The Motown 7S Box Set: Rare And Unused

Ianw

got an email today. mod set sent in error. agreed to send it back when the motown set turns up.now I have been refunded cos they are out of stock....soulbrother out of stock now as well,, pissed right off as you can imagine! :(

well, if you read properly you will fi d my last post with an adress to order a proper set from...

Social source share

HI ALL,

I was lucky enough to get a good and complete set from Amazon last week. Not an anorack so did not look at the depth of the groove, label quality etc.etc.

Happy and content that all play well and privelidged to have such great sounds on vinyl(including Frank Wilson). Really feel for everyone who has recieved their sets with missing records or duplicates.

Maybe the moderators can help out here by getting going a thread on trades for those that need to exchange/swop their duplicate copies.

regards ROY

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Box set 00964 arrived today all records present and all play spot on, happy. Got mine from Positive Noise via ebay, only criticism the courier they use is shocking [APC] I rang to arrange a 4 pm delivery it arrived an hour ago  :huh: but all's well, good luck to all of you that's having problems. By the way there is a set on ebay from Poland sealed @ £59.99 .    [No 74]

Edited by Paddywack
Social source share

Now I'm totally pissed off with this, just had another email saying I had a refund as there is no replacement stock and the manufacturers are not producing this package anymore and I've been refunded into my pay pal account which I have, Universals customer service and the way this has been handled is shocking, I've sent my set back because it was faulty and now here I am without a set, had another email yesterday saying a replacement had been processed and would be dispatched shortly, just checked order on line as the order numbers were different to original order on the replacement and it's been canceled so I'm totally pissed off and a little confused, there is a production fault on some of these so it had to go back now I'm gonna struggle to get one, total fuck up from start to finish, perhaps Phil Dick will sell me a spare lol or if anyone has a complete playable non skip copy spare please let me know.

Social source share

Got mine last week and only just took the wrapping off. All present and correct, just need to play them. If all is fine I say well worth the money for the four tops alone. Got mine from Amazon for £47 :-)

if it plays without jumps i got 3 boxes 2 prezzies yet to play the third but the tops jumps on first two sets and the sound quality is crap

kev

Social source share

I ordered a set direct from Universal last weekend, they acknowledged my order via email on Monday and I checked online today and the status is still "in progress" so I'm not very confident that I'll be getting a copy.

Not the end of the world but a bit disappointing.

Paul

Social source share

Sent mine back Wed morning got refunded by Amazon today thought I would be waiting weeks for a refund Ah Well more dosh to waste on fishing tackle lol

Me to Ian. Had refund of amazon, Think me would rather have got a proper box set though as opposed to the MOD set . Which I,ve just posted back.

Ian how much fishing gear do you need, thought I was bad

Steve

Social source share

I ordered a set direct from Universal last weekend, they acknowledged my order via email on Monday and I checked online today and the status is still "in progress" so I'm not very confident that I'll be getting a copy.

Not the end of the world but a bit disappointing.

Paul

Ordered mine on Monday, and received an e-mail from their support team after I enquired about the problems.  I remain optimistic, as they are aware of the problem and are hopefully going to sort it.

Social source share

well I got a replacement set and the 4 Tops jumps fooking hell

The groove waves around all over the shop on the Four Tops cut, so your turntable levelling, tone arm and cartridge set up needs to be spot-on.

Maybe it is set up perfectly though and you've been unlucky yet again :(

Social source share

I take all the points about arm weight, balance etc. but the fact is you don't need all this pissing about every time you play them, fact is there is a production fault, groove too close whatever there is a problem otherwise this thread would not now be 7 pages, I hope I can track a playable copy down but to be honest the excitement and appeal of this has now completely gone.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I take all the points about arm weight, balance etc. but the fact is you don't need all this pissing about every time you play them, fact is there is a production fault, groove too close whatever there is a problem otherwise this thread would not now be 7 pages, I hope I can track a playable copy down but to be honest the excitement and appeal of this has now completely gone.

I couldn't agree more Mark, it is indeed a production fault, making the Four Tops track very difficult for a stylus to remain firmly in place.

Edited by Soul16
Social source share

Mark just about to PM you

I played through all 14 sides from one of the boxes I've got for sale on the site - as well as being incredible musically I had no issue with jumping or skips. I use a black ortofon concorde stylus, about 4 months old so I guess there could be an issue with worn styluses (styli?)  etc. The Four Tops grooves do seem to wave like hell...maybe it's how the cutter interpreted the sound, I don't know, not an expert on these things...but no skips or jumps here.

Cock ups with duplicates/missing items aside this is a really nice box - when they're all present and correct!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Mark just about to PM you

I played through all 14 sides from one of the boxes I've got for sale on the site - as well as being incredible musically I had no issue with jumping or skips. I use a black ortofon concorde stylus, about 4 months old so I guess there could be an issue with worn styluses (styli?)  etc. The Four Tops grooves do seem to wave like hell...maybe it's how the cutter interpreted the sound, I don't know, not an expert on these things...but no skips or jumps here.

Cock ups with duplicates/missing items aside this is a really nice box - when they're all present and correct!

Just replied Jason thanks mate you have made my weekend sir.

Social source share

Guest Andy Prolze

Came to play mine this morning and the "music centre" we have has all of a sudden stopped working!! :(  I'm not a DJ or collector but just wanted to have them in my small collection of records. Got most on CD but you know how it is with vinyl and it is a great looking box set. I'll have to borrow a deck or just keep them without knowing :unsure: 

Social source share

Soul Brother did a fine job sending mine all complete. All play through just fine.

The only 2 I hadn't heard were the Four Tops and David Ruffin...what a couple of fantastic tracks!!! David Ruffin has always been one of my fave singers and this track justifies that reason, utterly superb!

I removed the sticker on the front of the box and stuck it on the inside of the lid, well it was obscuring the Tops and Miss Weston! Anyone else remove the sticker? 

Social source share

...I removed the sticker on the front of the box and stuck it on the inside of the lid, well it was obscuring the Tops and Miss Weston! Anyone else remove the sticker? 

No, I haven't yet had the pleasure of being able to remove the sticker because I haven't yet had the pleasure of receiving my box set and soon I might have to accept the bitter fact that I will never get the opportunity to remove that sticker.

:(

And I was looking forward to it.

:wink:

Social source share

No, I haven't yet had the pleasure of being able to remove the sticker because I haven't yet had the pleasure of receiving my box set and soon I might have to accept the bitter fact that I will never get the opportunity to remove that sticker.

As they say Paul pays yu money take a chance try amazon 15 left last time I looked.

Social source share

Paul try Jason on here mate he has a few copies, checked and  played the one I'm having off him so can't fault the guy, worth a go if you are struggling.

Social source share

Paul try Jason on here mate he has a few copies, checked and  played the one I'm having off him so can't fault the guy, worth a go if you are struggling.

Hello Mark, my order at Universal is still "in progress" so I'll wait a few more days, see what happens and get a refund if necessary.

And Jason is sold out now but thanks anyway.

Social source share

Ive got Boxset 00113 from Amazon which ive not opened and ive got another coming from Universal, fingers crossed after reading of the shambles of what should have been a great marketing coup with Richards name attached to it. I know its not his fault but I wonder how he feels about all this?

Social source share

Soul Brother did a fine job sending mine all complete. All play through just fine.

The only 2 I hadn't heard were the Four Tops and David Ruffin...what a couple of fantastic tracks!!! David Ruffin has always been one of my fave singers and this track justifies that reason, utterly superb!

I removed the sticker on the front of the box and stuck it on the inside of the lid, well it was obscuring the Tops and Miss Weston! Anyone else remove the sticker? 

Yeah mine came off fine, like you say was spoiling the effect :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

AS REPORTED BY OTHER MEMBERS I TOO HAVE RECEIVED TWO COPIES OF BARBARA MCNAIR/DAVID RUFFIN AND NO MARVIN GAYE/SPINNERS. I'D RATHER TRY TO DO A SWAP BEFORE RETURNING THE BOX SET. ANYONE OUT THERE WITH A SPARE MARVIN GAYE/SPINNERS.

THANKS,BRIAN.

Edited by brianc
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!