The Motown 7S Box Set: Rare And Unused

Ianw

Ordered mine through EBay in late October, and it got delivered on 15th November. All present and correct, and all seem to play OK. Serial No: 01235. Seems no logic in numbering system though, as mine came before the actual release date and is a relatively high number! Happy with it anyway, and it won't be going back!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Was bound to happen, and it won't be long before others follow suit and post all of the discs separately and turn a tidy little profit.

Most of the mainstream soul fraternity won't be aware of the 7's box so won't have snapped one up.

The minute they're all gone the individual discs will begin to surface, especially when some of the discs become more popular and gather the weekend soul club following.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The biggest run out grooves ever ?? Is this why ppl are having problems with skips, because the grooves cannot be deep or wide enough at 45rpm? (do they look like 33rpm e.p. grooves to anybody else?)

Is it just me or do about half the tracks need to be revved up to plus 3 to sound anywhere near how we first got to know them? When we knew it as "Its Killing Me" at Stafford it fairly romped along, this mix seems very pedestrian. The Temps, another I first heard at Stafford needed to be on plus 4 to sound "right", Suspicion also better around plus 3, and oddly enough even the Isleys sounded slower than the Album we've all been playing for years, so I plus 2'd that and it sounded more like it.
And before anybody asks, yes my deck speed is correct to the strobe, and no other tracks seemed wrong to my ears (although Stormy is better again at plus 2.8) When I get a minute I'm gonna clock the bpm of the Isleys on the album and on this new 7 to confirm.

Last thought, what would it cost to get a carver done of the missing Marvin Gaye with scanned label for all those wondering whether to send their incomplete sets back? The cost could be offset by selling the extra copy of Barbara McNair on evilbay, at least it'd be better than nothing?

Social source share

After reading these posts its put me right off now.....Good luck to those who get good copies, ..By the way, are these records out on a motown box set of cds ???...Just a thought..cheers martyn..........well just been checking my collection, looks like got most of them on my cds compilations...apart from my free marvin gaye , bretby 45.....so that will do for me for now, ..Hopefully it may get a repress better quality.....heres hoping..........

Edited by martynthejazz
Social source share

The biggest run out grooves ever ?? Is this why ppl are having problems with skips, because the grooves cannot be deep or wide enough at 45rpm? (do they look like 33rpm e.p. grooves to anybody else?)

Is it just me or do about half the tracks need to be revved up to plus 3 to sound anywhere near how we first got to know them? When we knew it as "Its Killing Me" at Stafford it fairly romped along, this mix seems very pedestrian. The Temps, another I first heard at Stafford needed to be on plus 4 to sound "right", Suspicion also better around plus 3, and oddly enough even the Isleys sounded slower than the Album we've all been playing for years, so I plus 2'd that and it sounded more like it.

And before anybody asks, yes my deck speed is correct to the strobe, and no other tracks seemed wrong to my ears (although Stormy is better again at plus 2.8) When I get a minute I'm gonna clock the bpm of the Isleys on the album and on this new 7 to confirm.

Last thought, what would it cost to get a carver done of the missing Marvin Gaye with scanned label for all those wondering whether to send their incomplete sets back? The cost could be offset by selling the extra copy of Barbara McNair on evilbay, at least it'd be better than nothing?

Perhaps the DJs, where you heard them all first, had speeded them up, making the records in the box set sound slow?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Could I just recommend Jason Stirland on here, I got a perfect box set from him at the weekend, he opened up all of them to check them then managed to get them back into the shrink wrap, all records play perfectly and all are present, there's a link to him somewhere in this topic.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Could I just recommend Jason Stirland on here, I got a perfect box set from him at the weekend, he opened up all of them to check them then managed to get them back into the shrink wrap, all records play perfectly and all are present, there's a link to him somewhere in this topic.

He was sold outlast week Pete , maybe he might have some more now but still showing on his site as sold out.

Social source share

Got my refund from Universal confirmed today. In fairness they refunded the original purchase price plus postage, and the return postage (Which at their request I sent back as Special Delivery so it was over £8.)

I did consider having a replacement set rather than a refund, but as there is still no guarantee that any set, and it does seem to be totally random, would be ok, I decided to get my cash back and spend it on something else.

Social source share

Got my refund from Universal confirmed today. In fairness they refunded the original purchase price plus postage, and the return postage (Which at their request I sent back as Special Delivery so it was over £8.)

I did consider having a replacement set rather than a refund, but as there is still no guarantee that any set, and it does seem to be totally random, would be ok, I decided to get my cash back and spend it on something else.

Received my second set today from Amazon all present, however the Temptations jumps badly. So back to Amazon it goes. No more for me sick to death of it.

Social source share

Here, here to that Pete, top bloke went the extra mile to make sure the sets were good, well pleased.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yep, I had a similar email on 27th November from the Amazon seller I chose to use so I cancelled my order.  The seller did go on to say try again the beginning of this week as Universal should have got their ship in order, but I can't be arsed now, plus as mine was a present for someone else I've already gone out & bought Old Spice Aftershave  :wicked: & Socks :lol: (on the recommendation of Mark Bicknell & Paul Mooney  :D )     

Good old socks lol who said romance was dead....... now Motown socks there's an idea still knowing our luck they would have holes in them lol

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yep, I had a similar email on 27th November from the Amazon seller I chose to use so I cancelled my order.  The seller did go on to say try again the beginning of this week as Universal should have got their ship in order, but I can't be arsed now, plus as mine was a present for someone else I've already gone out & bought Old Spice Aftershave  :wicked: & Socks :lol: (on the recommendation of Mark Bicknell & Paul Mooney  :D )     

No BRUT left then , eh ?  :wink:

Sorry off topic  :hatsoff2:

Edited by SWIFTY
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Has anyone with the box set been able to use the download card okay? I go into the "backtoblackvinyl" website as instructed and select the box set, then go to the section where you're supposed to input the code and there's nowhere to input the digits.....Might be due to me using an older Mac, but thought I'd ask any ideas here before trying to contact Universal and get lost in their service dept again.

Thanks, Steve

Social source share

Has anyone with the box set been able to use the download card okay? I go into the "backtoblackvinyl" website as instructed and select the box set, then go to the section where you're supposed to input the code and there's nowhere to input the digits.....Might be due to me using an older Mac, but thought I'd ask any ideas here before trying to contact Universal and get lost in their service dept again.

Thanks, Steve

I've just used the code to download the tracks, after I selected the album I had to enter details such as name, post code and email before entering the code (or was it after? no matter) this information is compulsory before you can download, I wondered if being bombarded with backtoblack news letters would be worth me bothering, anyway after downloading I noticed an email in my junk folder asking me to verify my details to enable the afore mentioned updates, just deleted it  :thumbsup:

Edited by Pete60
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Thanks, Steve

No problem for me (on OSX) what browser are you using I used Safari.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I've just used the code to download the tracks, after I selected the album I had to enter details such as name, post code and email before entering the code (or was it after? no matter) this information is compulsory before you can download, I wondered if being bombarded with backtoblack news letters would be worth me bothering, anyway after downloading I noticed an email in my junk folder asking me to verify my details to enable the afore mentioned updates, just deleted it  :thumbsup:

Thanks Pete. Just tried that and still same problem for me so guessing it's something on their page that my creaky old Mac can't handle...It takes so long to load their page I've got bored of trying now and will just go play the records again instead! Will try again another day. Thanks again though. Steve :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Thanks, Steve

I downloaded it ok (on a mac), if you get stuck I'll send you them

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Just received my final 2 box sets (from Universal) and one is OK, the other has 2 x Barbara McNair's.

I called their customer service, they say they are aware of the problem and they have promised to send out the missing sungle (Marvin Gaye).

Social source share

Just received my final 2 box sets (from Universal) and one is OK, the other has 2 x Barbara McNair's.

I called their customer service, they say they are aware of the problem and they have promised to send out the missing sungle (Marvin Gaye).

phil mine are showing as dispatched 1st december , how long did yours take to arrive , thanks john

Edited by gogger
Social source share

finally played all mine, all present and correct, no skips etc, but im baffeld with the record sequence and numbering, the way they are numbered, there seems be some missing!!!!

We have discussed this earlier. We think they are teasing us and the missing numbers 4 & 5 (think it's those) will appear in box set #2

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!