The Motown 7S Box Set: Rare And Unused

Ianw

Guest Rodney LeePeace

just opened mine and guess what 2 copies of one record 1 missing,tryed to get replaced by Amazon and can only refund no more stock

CAN ANYONE GIVE ME SOME ADVICE PLEASE

try your local hmv there's normally one on show.there is in brum rodders
Social source share

Guest Rodney LeePeace

just opened mine and guess what 2 copies of one record 1 missing,tryed to get replaced by Amazon and can only refund no more stock

CAN ANYONE GIVE ME SOME ADVICE PLEASE[/

Edited by Rodney LeePeace
Social source share

Guest Rodney LeePeace

CAN ANYONE GIVE ME SOME ADVICE PLEASE

try your local hmv there's normally one on show.there is in brum rodders
Social source share

Guest Rodney LeePeace

Would like to see "don't be afraid" by bobby Taylor in boxset 2, it's crying out for single release,well at least I am.

Social source share

Box number 01620 arrived purchased from Amazon £38 all present most play well a few play less well but no jumps even though none of them lay flat on a standard SL1210 platter matt, also there appears to be a greasy residue on certain sides.

In addition to the above some appear off center when playing (or spindle hole is over size) - this along with the warp could cause tracking error( skipping) if the arm is not correctly set up

Oh yes! and my box was not sealed sounds like last minute quality control ?

Overall I'd rate the package 7/10

Richards sleeve notes are in depth and detailed 10/10

Triode

Social source share

mine has turned up today box 1945 and guess what 2 Barbara McNairs and no Marvin Gaye what do I do ? send it back or keep it and hope ? god I am p**sed off . really wanted this now I get a load of hassle

Keep it - its a nice thing in its own right.  Sell on the spare McNair and look out for a MG - people will break up the box and sell on.  Then of course you might pick up another set.  £45 is not a lot of money in the scheme of things for even an incomplete package, just take what pleasure you can from it.

Mike

Social source share

trouble is mike its the marvin/fantastic 4 I really wanted (even though I have the from the vaults LP & THE CHRIS KING M G single)

Sod's law !!!  There are two on ebay at the moment ending over the weekend - have a pop at them before you send it back.  Even then the package with a duplicate has got to be worth £45.  Hope you get sorted. 

Social source share

00859 & 00867 With no faults here.

Apart from the records being terribly static and attract all the small pieces of paper from the sleeves. Recordedges are sharp and roughly cut to one side and the volume of eg My Love Is Your Love by the Isleys is exactly that of the MFP Album I have. So the mastering technician must have been been very conservative here on his cutting diamond.

I find normally 45's are louder than albums. Or the MFP was cut louder than average maybe. (Don't want to boast but mine's a Dutch pressing)

And I prefer mono versions.

But aside from this, wonderful boxset.

I hope the ones intended as christmaspresents dont turn out to be unpleasant surprises.

Yos

Dutch or Belgian boot copy. :rofl:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

finally opened mine all present but jumps on the temptations track but im not impressed by the standard of the vinyl looks like low grade bootlegs ,so tomorrow im going to my local trading standards office see how i stand and how universal stand on this mess like everyone on here i want a replacement not a refund and if enough of us complain to universal they might do a proper press of this box set like the rest of you i cant believe they got this so wrong .

Social source share

Eh? How is £45 not a lot of money? It's only on here that people say things like "oh, that's a nice cheapie, you can pick it up for about £50..." Like spending £50 is just like loose change or something. I've ordered a copy of this box set and am dreading it arriving incomplete or tracks jumping etc. I don't think paying £45 for a faulty product is something people should have to put up with, no matter what you're buying. Rant over!

I'm not one of the people who says "oh, that's a nice cheapie, you can pick it up for about £50..."   ......and I don't believe..... "Like spending £50 is just like loose change or something".  It's not what I said, but what I did say everyone knows I said it. 

Mike

Edited by Mike Lofthouse
Social source share

No 1846 arrived over the weekend, and f*cks me old boots if I haven't got two copies of Barbara McNair and no Marvin Gaye.  This is despite me e-mailing Universal Music's support team before they despatched it, to check that they were aware of this widespread problem.  They confirmed to me they had and would be contacting the supplier and doing a stock take on the 9th (today) before sending out any further boxsets.  Looks like they thought better of this in their evident hurry to disappoint me.  Phoned their support desk today and I'm under the impression that they are going to send me the missing single, but they promised to phone me back to confirm this.  Still waiting.

As for the vinyl I have received, looks very poor quality, lightweight with razor sharp edges and cheap labels.  Hard to believe Mr Searling would be happy with the finished product.  Compare this to the Motown Early R & B LP from Vee-Tone Records, nice 180g vinyl made in Great Britain.

Social source share

No 1846 arrived over the weekend, and f*cks me old boots if I haven't got two copies of Barbara McNair and no Marvin Gaye.  This is despite me e-mailing Universal Music's support team before they despatched it, to check that they were aware of this widespread problem.  They confirmed to me they had and would be contacting the supplier and doing a stock take on the 9th (today) before sending out any further boxsets.  Looks like they thought better of this in their evident hurry to disappoint me.  Phoned their support desk today and I'm under the impression that they are going to send me the missing single, but they promised to phone me back to confirm this.  Still waiting.

As for the vinyl I have received, looks very poor quality, lightweight with razor sharp edges and cheap labels.  Hard to believe Mr Searling would be happy with the finished product.  Compare this to the Motown Early R & B LP from Vee-Tone Records, nice 180g vinyl made in Great Britain.

Try the Temps mate make sure it don't jump.

Social source share

Box number 01620 arrived purchased from Amazon £38 all present most play well a few play less well but no jumps even though none of them lay flat on a standard SL1210 platter matt, also there appears to be a greasy residue on certain sides.

In addition to the above some appear off center when playing (or spindle hole is over size) - this along with the warp could cause tracking error( skipping) if the arm is not correctly set up

Oh yes! and my box was not sealed sounds like last minute quality control ?

Overall I'd rate the package 7/10

Richards sleeve notes are in depth and detailed 10/10

Triode

Bloody hell, I don't think most ordinary mortal sellers could have bought them for £38! You did well there (pricewise)

Social source share

Fortunately mine play OK but I'm not particularly happy with the quality of the vinyl to be honest. All seven disc appear dished to some extent and what's with the humungous run-out grooves? It feels poor quality lowest common denominator to me. £45 is a fair amount to shell out.

From a nit-picking graphic designer point of view - if you're trying to replicate the look of a British Motown single from the 1960s/70s you're going to have to try a bit harder. Trying to give the impression of silver print on black using four colour process is a bit pointless. It just looks poor. The effect is a dirty off-white which is filling in and making text hard to read rather than the lovely silver on black which characterises the British Tamla Motown singles.

Surely doing a two colour black and silver spot colour label wouldn't be that costly? When I was designing for the record industry the product managers would go mental if you suggested going 4 colour process on labels due to the extra cost over a bog-standard two colour label but I guess that's all changed. 

The box is nice, but the token single scrap of paper containing the sleeve notes is an insult to the consumer and to the author. Again, it would have cost relative pence to expand the scope to a 4pp single folded insert so that old gits like us don't have to read them using a magnifying glass.

They could also have varied the colours of the single bags as there were some very nice historical ones. The orange gets a bit visually boring. It wouldn't have cost any more as they're printed 4 colour process on a nice shiny stock and it would have made the whole package feel a bit more special. Printing them on a more authentic rubbish quality uncoated paper would have been closer to the originals!

OK Pedantry Mode off...

Very true, and it's about thought and care rather than cost. Printing metallic silver on black and using suitable fonts and sizes for the smaller print would have made a big difference. The label design and print is poor.

And I agree the insert text is too small and close to the edges, a simple 4-page folded design would have been ideal and not much more expensive at all.

As for the records themselves... I admit that I haven't had the courage to check them yet.

Paul

Social source share

Wonder why Richard didnt Quality Assure  an advance copy before they were sent for production ???.....crap vinyl, crap labels, crap record bags, crap sound repro on some, dished, warped & large spindle hole are just some of the problems/observations...poor show IMHO...I if I was going to put my name to something, I would make damn sure said product was as it should be.

Russ

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Easy for you to say, Mr Vickers.......

Vickers_Advertisement_Janes_1914.jpg

Also based on the Tyne in Newcastle of course.

There aren't any prices on the advert so I might just pop in to the showroom and ask how much it would cost for a custom-designed warship with lots of guns and projectiles and explosives and maybe a couple of submarines.

I suppose they might want to see some I.D. so "‹I'll take my driver's license and a couple of recent household bills.

:) 

Social source share

Also based on the Tyne in Newcastle of course.

There aren't any prices on the advert so I might just pop in to the showroom and ask how much it would cost for a custom-designed warship with lots of guns and projectiles and explosives and maybe a couple of submarines.

I suppose they might want to see some I.D. so "‹I'll take my driver's license and a couple of recent household bills.

:) 

A bit of Vickers Engineering wouldn't have gone amiss on the Motown 7s Boxset.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I suppose in a lot of ways we're going to be the worst audience in the world because our standards are pretty high and we're very demanding and critical. And in some ways there are many positives. Seeing the likes of "Suspicion" and "All I Do" and others finally released on a legit single is a great thing. Who'd have put their house on such a thing coming to market even ten years ago?

It's a shame that the QC wasn't higher.

Edited by sweeney
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Fortunately mine play OK but I'm not particularly happy with the quality of the vinyl to be honest. All seven disc appear dished to some extent and what's with the humungous run-out grooves? It feels poor quality lowest common denominator to me. £45 is a fair amount to shell out.

From a nit-picking graphic designer point of view - if you're trying to replicate the look of a British Motown single from the 1960s/70s you're going to have to try a bit harder. Trying to give the impression of silver print on black using four colour process is a bit pointless. It just looks poor. The effect is a dirty off-white which is filling in and making text hard to read rather than the lovely silver on black which characterises the British Tamla Motown singles.

Surely doing a two colour black and silver spot colour label wouldn't be that costly? When I was designing for the record industry the product managers would go mental if you suggested going 4 colour process on labels due to the extra cost over a bog-standard two colour label but I guess that's all changed. 

The box is nice, but the token single scrap of paper containing the sleeve notes is an insult to the consumer and to the author. Again, it would have cost relative pence to expand the scope to a 4pp single folded insert so that old gits like us don't have to read them using a magnifying glass.

They could also have varied the colours of the single bags as there were some very nice historical ones. The orange gets a bit visually boring. It wouldn't have cost any more as they're printed 4 colour process on a nice shiny stock and it would have made the whole package feel a bit more special. Printing them on a more authentic rubbish quality uncoated paper would have been closer to the originals!

OK Pedantry Mode off...

Huge run out grooves are much better as a record will always sound worse towards the centre because of inner groove distortion mine are flat as pancakes

Edited by rixrecords
Social source share

Guest east rob

Mine arrived from Germany today (thanks to Marc Forrest)

all present & correct,though I think the Originals is mixed down compared to my motown acetate. :thumbsup:

Social source share

AT THE END OF THE DAY UNIVERSAL COULD NOT GIVE A TOSS FOR THE LIKES OF US AND WON'T BE LOSING ANY SLEEP OVER IT,

WE SHOULD COUNT OURSELVES LUCKY WITH WHAT WE HAVE, I FOR ONE NEVER THOUGHT WE WOULD SEE THESE CLASSICS RELEASED

ANYTHING IS BETTER THAN CRAP REPRO NON ORIGINALS OFF OF EBAY 

KEV

yeah but the repos play better and dont jump ,i got an email back from universal saying its not there fault there trying to blame the 3 rd party which clearly its not  ITS THEM they dont want to admit they fcuk'd up big time ,it looks like it was a rush job and no care what so ever was put into it .

Social source share

Phoned their support desk today and I'm under the impression that they are going to send me the missing single, but they promised to phone me back to confirm this.  Still waiting.

Ended up e-mailing Universal again yesterday. Here's part of the response I just received.....

"After speaking with our eCommerce team today, they have advised that the missing vinyl will be sent out to you as a matter of urgency and if it isn't with you within 3-5 days, please contact me and I will assist you further."

I wonder if they've actually pressed too many Barbara McNairs and not enough Marvin Gaye singles, and have had to get more MGs pressed?  Does this mean there'll be a surplus of BMs, which may make their way onto the market?  As far as I know, they don't want the extra BM singles back.

Edited by Steve S 60
Social source share

Guest turntableterra

what a fantastic set of motown records, 6 quid for a record, in a smart box and all sounding good. for me.... 0024, 212, 499, 365, 356 are all complete, in great condition, no doubles and no missing records,  and 4 i havent taken out of the original envelopes and stay sealed im sure its good news. the ones opened play perfectly, all flat as a pancake, all discs in set are there. the packaging is excellent and if any improvement possibly a fancy booklet about the groups but its not a cticism. what a great selection of tracks they sound great. the FRANK WILSON is without doubt the best quality version you will hear in a public domain surely .. unless you live in oz. the 2009 version is just pure rubbish and the 1970`s copy sounds like it was recorded from the record (according to my sound engineer). suspicion sounds much better than the boot, a bit crisper if anything. the temps and the jimmy ruffin were new to me and i loved them, good strong sound. the kim weston is a good version but the ones that, for me were outstanding is the tammi terrell, jimmy ruffin and the four tops. the spinners is from the vaults album from the 70`s if memory serves and nice to have it on 45 to dj with. all in all for me and others i can say well done richard searling and cant wait for the next volume. no complaints here.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!