The Motown 7S Box Set: Rare And Unused

Ianw

no. 1439 received, had problems with Temptations, slipping, jumping etc. realised that record wouldn't sit on deck properly as the edge around the hole was very proud of the record, Kim Weston played fine. Managed to indent slip mat around spindle just enough to get record to sit firmly on deck and record now plays fine.  Great records c**p quality. 

Stuart

Social source share

what a fantastic set of motown records, 6 quid for a record, in a smart box and all sounding good. for me.... 0024, 212, 499, 365, 356 are all complete, in great condition, no doubles and no missing records,  and 4 i havent taken out of the original envelopes and stay sealed im sure its good news. the ones opened play perfectly, all flat as a pancake, all discs in set are there. the packaging is excellent and if any improvement possibly a fancy booklet about the groups but its not a cticism. what a great selection of tracks they sound great. the FRANK WILSON is without doubt the best quality version you will hear in a public domain surely .. unless you live in oz. the 2009 version is just pure rubbish and the 1970`s copy sounds like it was recorded from the record (according to my sound engineer). suspicion sounds much better than the boot, a bit crisper if anything. the temps and the jimmy ruffin were new to me and i loved them, good strong sound. the kim weston is a good version but the ones that, for me were outstanding is the tammi terrell, jimmy ruffin and the four tops. the spinners is from the vaults album from the 70`s if memory serves and nice to have it on 45 to dj with. all in all for me and others i can say well done richard searling and cant wait for the next volume. no complaints here.

Which Jimmy Ruffin is this then?  :g:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Well I'm feeling lucky so tonight I think I'll finally pluck up the courage to actually play the 45s.

If you see my box set in the sales section tomorrow it means I've got problems.

:)

Social source share

I've finally listened to everything in the box now and as I always do, I grade them in itunes (you have 5 stars, 1 bring the worst) I'm afraid most of it is well under par and some a complete waste of vinyl, going by my score.

5 stars: suspicion, frank wilson, stormy

4 stars: temptations

3 stars: isleys, marvin

2 stars: ruffin, mcnair, spinners

1 star: stevie wonder, 4 tops

I've rarely heard such uninspiring Motown music as those last two.

Still, I know people will say that this chart is upside down.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I can't criticise the selections because it's subjective, we'd all pick different tracks, but I was disappointed about the inclusion of 'Do I Love You (Indeed I Do)'.  It shows a lack of imagination and / or confidence.  Did Universal really think the set would flop unless the legendary Frank Wilson record was included???

Another disappointment for me is that I don't like 45s which feature different artists on each side and it's even worse when the sides seem to be paired at random.  It's not as if there isn't enough good material to choose from in the Motown catalogue.

And, come to think of it, there would be no need for a special limited box set at all if Universal did the job properly and issued about ten 45s a year featuring hard-to-find or unissued tracks.  With such a rich catalogue as Motown they could go on forever.

I bought the box set anyway (just to play with the box, I suppose) but I'd much rather have had a new volume of 'A Cellarful Of Motown' on CD because it's ONLY THREE YEARS since Vol 4 was issued.  In fact, we've only had four volumes in ELEVEN YEARS.  Let's just hope that we all live long enough to get Vol 5 and Vol 6 etc.

If Universal can't work the Motown catalogue properly they should license the masters to someone who can.

Paul

Social source share

If Universal can't work the Motown catalogue properly they should license the masters to someone who can.

Paul

I thought they had with Ace/Kent Paul ?  They have put out some nice bits and pieces.

re the FW - not only shows a lack of imagination - it's illogical as it has already had three UK releases on 45.  I thought the point was previously unreleased tracks on 45.

Social source share

I thought they had with Ace/Kent Paul ?  They have put out some nice bits and pieces.

re the FW - not only shows a lack of imagination - it's illogical as it has already had three UK releases on 45.  I thought the point was previously unreleased tracks on 45.

According to the header of this topic, they aren't unissued, they are "unused"  :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

To be honest I thought idea was to release previously unreleased tracks.

Album cuts included would be a low priority for me.

Wish I was an expert !!

ROD

Social source share

To be honest I thought idea was to release previously unreleased tracks.

Album cuts included would be a low priority for me.

Wish I was an expert !!

ROD

That's what I meant Rod, i.e tracks never previously released on 45 or only available on album. 

My first preference would of been album tracks - like Bobby Taylor, Originals or Gladys Knight.  But on second thoughts what's the point if you have the albums? So I agree, it should of been exclusively previously unreleased tracks.

Whatever the choice of tracks - surely there was room for Gladys?  if I was compiling compilations from now until next Christmas I could never include Diana Ross ahead of her.  

And Pete's right that Stevie Wonder is bloody awful.

Mike

Social source share

no. 1439 received, had problems with Temptations, slipping, jumping etc. realised that record wouldn't sit on deck properly as the edge around the hole was very proud of the record, Kim Weston played fine. Managed to indent slip mat around spindle just enough to get record to sit firmly on deck and record now plays fine.  Great records c**p quality. 

Stuart

Yes, found the same. Need to place on a card sleeve or similar on the platter so they lay flat. Otherwise no issues, but that shouldn't happen.

Social source share

would all the people on here that have faulty,missing records please contact universal uk about this --ck up and maybe they might repress this box set its alright bitching on here about it we need to let universal know we are not happy about this the more that complain it might get through to them . :g: 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

would all the people on here that have faulty,missing records please contact universal uk about this --ck up and maybe they might repress this box set its alright bitching on here about it we need to let universal know we are not happy about this the more that complain it might get through to them . :g: 

Done it twice.No joy.

Social source share

Universal have sorted me out with regards to the missing Marvin Gaye single, although I did give them a heads up about the problem before they despatched my box set, and they said they would check their stock before sending any more out, which they obviously didn't.  RS also contacted Universal and pointed them to this thread.  It's the people who have bought from other retailers who may have problems, but if anybody with a missing MG single informs their retailer that Universal are supplying this, then they should be able to contact Universal on their customers behalf.

https://www.richardsearling.co.uk/my-motown-sevens-box-set-released-monday-november-18th-2013/

Social source share

Amazon are re selling this now...£61.99........all this talk as put me off now.

got mine through post today, #394 from mymediawelt in Germany, £46 inc postage. don't really want to open it but must one day to check, when i get a turntable to play them on i think

Social source share

SENT BOX SET 1824 BACK TO AMAZON YESTERDAY, 2 COPIES BARBARA MCNAIR, HAVING RECEIVED

REPLACEMENT BOX SET 1000. OPENED IT ON SUNDAY, NO DUPLICATES, BUT TEMPTATIONS 45 JUMPS.

HOW COME NOT ALL COPIES JUMP, AS REPORTED ON HERE, COULD IT BE MY PORTABLE  PLAYER, IN THIS CASE, RATHER THAN THE RECORD. INCIDENTALLY, WHAT'S THE PROCEDURE AT THE PRESSING PLANT WOULD ALL 2000 COPIES BE DONE AT THE ONE GO.

I'LL BE HANGING ON TO THIS SET AND HOPE I CAN OVERCOME THE PROBLEM WITH THE TEMPTATIONS TRACK.

Social source share

SENT BOX SET 1824 BACK TO AMAZON YESTERDAY, 2 COPIES BARBARA MCNAIR, HAVING RECEIVED

REPLACEMENT BOX SET 1000. OPENED IT ON SUNDAY, NO DUPLICATES, BUT TEMPTATIONS 45 JUMPS.

HOW COME NOT ALL COPIES JUMP, AS REPORTED ON HERE, COULD IT BE MY PORTABLE  PLAYER, IN THIS CASE, RATHER THAN THE RECORD. INCIDENTALLY, WHAT'S THE PROCEDURE AT THE PRESSING PLANT WOULD ALL 2000 COPIES BE DONE AT THE ONE GO.

I'LL BE HANGING ON TO THIS SET AND HOPE I CAN OVERCOME THE PROBLEM WITH THE TEMPTATIONS TRACK.

Brian,  Played my Temptations on my old Nad (Rega) turntable and it jumped all over the place.  I then played it on my Project RPM 5 (which I had just setup) and it played fine.  So I would guess it is dependent on what your playing it on, but clearly it is badly pressed.  Mike

Social source share

Brian,  Played my Temptations on my old Nad (Rega) turntable and it jumped all over the place.  I then played it on my Project RPM 5 (which I had just setup) and it played fine.  So I would guess it is dependent on what your playing it on, but clearly it is badly pressed.  Mike

played mine first time and it skipped , played it a few times since and it,s played ok  :g: , called universal about the marvin gaye track and they are sending me one , said i could keep the extra copy of barbara mcnair , it,s not here yet though

Social source share

played mine first time and it skipped , played it a few times since and it,s played ok  :g: , called universal about the marvin gaye track and they are sending me one , said i could keep the extra copy of barbara mcnair , it,s not here yet though

Looks like there's going to be a few surplus Barbara McNairs about.  Got my missing Marvin Gaye from Universal on Monday but it only came in a plastic sleeve.  Don't know whether to keep the spare BM or sell it on.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

got mine through post today, #394 from mymediawelt in Germany, £46 inc postage. don't really want to open it but must one day to check, when i get a turntable to play them on i think

Mine arrived from Germany this morning (Amazon order) today #0022 and the Marvin gaye is missing - David Rufin duplicated.

Social source share

Guest turntableterra

Mine arrived from Germany this morning (Amazon order) today #0022 and the Marvin gaye is missing - David Rufin duplicated.

i got number 24 and 29 all good but 499 had two barbaras.  all 9 opened and only one was wrong, got an exchange with the dealer, so all is good.

Social source share

Opened my set at last after weeks of anticipation and they're all present, BUT Temps skips repeatedly, bah humbug. Oh well will address that matter in a few days. Played em and very pleased. Was great watching my 11 year old daughter spinning and jumping to Frank Wilson filling the house with soulful merriment  at 10 am on Xmas morning rather than blasting out some crappy boy band. 

Merry Xmas to all.

Gav 

Social source share

as I said previously I had 2 Barbara McNairs so phoned universal on Friday (20th ) the missing Marvin Gaye turned up in the post on the 24th so I am a happy bunny and it did restore some of my faith in the customer services department at universal

all the best and a merry Christmas to all Dave T

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

Received today as a present from Claire, I've not been following this until now and not opened the box! Number 1194 so I've just opened it and all my records are present and correct, just hope they play ok now!!!

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

Glad to report all play fine, and I suppose we will all have a favorite track from this box, mine is David ruffin sublime soul to my ears.

Ryan Adams

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!