The Motown 7S Box Set: Rare And Unused

Ianw

I find it quite funny that this line is included in the review:

"Owner Berry Gordy Jnr’s strict quality control regime"

Such a pity Universal didn't follow the same quality control regime

TBH Dave if Berry Gordy Jnr, had anything to do with the QC side of Universal's  total" Balls Up"......there would have been a few people looking for new employment.....

Social source share

Ordered my £30.94 set off amazon on Wednesday night & it arrived this morning (Thursday). One set left at this price when I last looked.
No 1108 & all records present & correct. Not played them yet but I must be honest & say they look pretty cheap & nasty. The quality of the vinyl looks awful as they appear to be very lightly pressed, nothing like the old 1960's singles they are attempting to replicate. Also the notes are poor as well, 1 sheet of paper.
Glad I am not one of the people who bought multiple sets FOR MORE hoping to cash in as feel they will be stuck with them as they are just not really worth much more than £30 IMO.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Well, even though I bought my box set way back in November from Soulbrother Records in Putney. And even though, at first, I had 3 records jumping using my Soundburger and headphones, all is well when tested on my home Hi-Fi. All records present and correct and as flat as most of my record collection. So, I'm a happy bunny all round. :-)

Social source share

I must add, after the total balls up with regard this "boxed set".....I, having both communicated with Amazon and Universal am disgusted with the absolute shambolic"rhetoric" issued by both parties.....Paid for Boxedset.....Received nothing but Bullshit......Very F-cking Pissed Off....End Of....

Social source share

2200 Numbered Sets and a Collectors Market willing to purchase,

many at a time of their life with money in their pocket eager to add to the collection.

At the run up to Christmas, It should have been Impossible to get this wrong.

I've no doubt that every Motown 7s Box Set will sell this time around but at what cost.

Let's hope that If there is to be a Volume 2 etc that Quality Control issues have been addressed.

Social source share

Well I'm just playing mine now & on the first disc (Marvin b/w Spinners) & as soon as I hit the play button the deck was spinning but the record was that badly dished it just sat there motionless. Did the old DJ trick & popped a cover under it & it played through but as suspected it was rather quiet due to the fine grooves. 
Why is something that was so easy to make in the 60's & 70's so difficult to make successfully now?
Quite embarrassing for all concerned.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

2200 Numbered Sets and a Collectors Market willing to purchase,

many at a time of their life with money in their pocket eager to add to the collection.

At the run up to Christmas, It should have been Impossible to get this wrong.

I've no doubt that every Motown 7s Box Set will sell this time around but at what cost.

Let's hope that If there is to be a Volume 2 etc that Quality Control issues have been addressed.

rest assured...vol.2 is on it's way in the spring.... :thumbsup:

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest telecastersteve

hmm the latest supply (£19.90) dont seem to have an edition number on the box..  

Does that mean its now not a limited edition?!

Social source share

hmm the latest supply (£19.90) dont seem to have an edition number on the box..  

Does that mean its now not a limited edition?!

Hardly surprising. But I bet Universal will have been unable to keep track of what has been sent back, or what is missing singles, or what is warped and unplayable, so they won't know who has got what number by now.

I've ordered a second box set at the £19.48 price, but it hasn't been dispatched yet, nearly a week after I paid for it, which is a little concerning.

Social source share

Hardly surprising. But I bet Universal will have been unable to keep track of what has been sent back, or what is missing singles, or what is warped and unplayable, so they won't know who has got what number by now.

I've ordered a second box set at the £19.48 price, but it hasn't been dispatched yet, nearly a week after I paid for it, which is a little concerning.

Dave, I can vouch that your assumption on arses and elbows is bang on.  How do I know this ? Ahem, I leave you to work that one out  :wicked:   

The outcome in my case was most definitely a result  :thumbsup:

Taff

Social source share

Mine arrived today. It's from Italy according to the sticker on the packaging. No limited edition number, but the records are all nice thick vinyl compared to the first set I had, and all flat ! Haven't had chance to play them yet though, and I've just realised that I've thrown the packaging jn the bin, along with the dispatch / returns paperwork. So there's me rooting in the bin tomorrow morning before the rubbish is collected !

Social source share

Nothing worse than a limited edition being released cheaper the following month as a non-limited edition. If I could be bothered I'd get in touch with trading standards.

Not necessarily.

Mine is 01143. If you times that by itself and then take the cube root and then half it on a Tuesday you get Marvin Gaye's age when he recorded "Love starved heart"

Be worth a fortune. Expecting a call from JM any moment.

ROD

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

FWIW, I got mine from seller 'deastore' (from Italy, I think) on Amazon, and mine was fine — all the records and plays fine. They seem to still sell them for about 45 quid. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B00FGGTK5Y/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

(Edit: missed the part about this now being available as a non-limited edition…well, mine was limited/numbered at least, but I got it back in December.)

Edited by YourArsenal
Social source share

I must say, and sadly as boring as it sounds, I bought a boxed set from Amazon recently, hoping that my previous "misgivings" regard the set would be addressed, unfortunately, whilst the set was complete, once again the Four Tops "side" jumped (as did the first set bought).! WTF..

Social source share

• 3 years later...
On 30/01/2014 at 20:57, Winsford Soul said:

Mine box set turned up today. YIPPEE. All present and correct. Thanks to Lou, top birthday pressie. Steve

Steve, I have just been looking back over this thread as I noticed someone is selling them on eBay for over £100, plus £34 shipping from Australia.  I'm glad you finally got a boxset, as it looked unlikely at one stage.  Incidentally, the Aussie seller describes the boxsets as numbered and part of the limited run of 2000, although the photos don't show a number on the back of the box.  I know this "limited edition" suddenly became less exclusive when Universal decided to extend the run, presumably to meet higher than expected demand, and the extra boxsets weren't numbered.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!