O.t. Sykes - Singing Dentist

• Replies 21
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Every time I play 'Stone Crush On You' I smile at OT Sykes - The Singing Dentist.

Chubby Checker worked in a Philadelphia abbatoir.

What other soul occupations can we list?

Eloise Laws worked in a factory on the assembly line :thumbsup:

Social source share

millie jackson was an estate agent and rosetta hightower, believe it or not, was in the medical transplant business.

gwen and rae were in the construction industry, architects i believe.

jimmy bo horne invented that machine that steven hawking uses to communicate with.

Edited by Dan
Social source share

Didn't Smokey Robinson also train in dentistry before his career with the Miracles?

not sure gene. but i believe jock mitchell was a bookie and walter jackson worked for interflora. and wasn't jamo thomas in espionage?

Social source share

Guest soul_hull

one of the del-larks used to be an experienced heart-mender, but i think he's moved on.

wacko.gif

i'll get me coat....

Social source share

jimmy bo horne invented that machine that steven hawking uses to communicate with.

Thats brilliant

And on a 'Norris' note

Ever wondered what to do if a mad women tries to grab the wheel when you're driving? What does the highway code say about that? As usual, Chuck shows us the way.

post-1927-1150800722.gif

Social source share

Didn't the O'Jays have a sideline in making/repairing luggage ?

they did steve whistling.gif

they also had an excavations business. i had them round to work on my aquifer collation trench.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Speaking of O. T. SYKES anybody got any records for sale by him? filling some gaps in my collection whistling.gif

Let me know Cheers

fdsoul6345789@aol.com

Here are some of OT's best recordings that somehow never got released:

The Things I Used To Chew

Gums Of Navarone

Bridge (work) Over Troubled Water

Wisdom (Teeth) Of A Fool

Chew Chew Ch' Boogie

Fillings (Nothing More Than Fillings...)

Just a Little Bit(e)

Denture Know (You'd Have To Cry Sometime)

My Fangy Valentine

The Rat (B)Race

Abcess Makes The Heart Grow Fonder

...all on the Cap City label, I believe...

TONE :D:D:(

...and of course his ultra rare album

"OT Sykes sings Johnny Gnash"

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Eddie Holman working in the Tax Office in Philidelphia....

JB

...let's also not forget that the late Freddie Gorman worked for the US Mail for many years, which gave him the inspiration to co-wrote the classic "Please Mr. Postman" - absolutely true!

While we're on Motown, remember also that Martha Reeves was Mickey Stevenson's PA for some time before she released her first record.

Keeping with soul, Solomon Burke used to be a mortician, when her career stopped Erma Franklin started a new career as a teacher - which was also what Carla Thomas did in between records and tours - and the great Sammy Turner was also employed as a doorman at the Brill Building in the mid 60s. Elsewhere, Gene Anderson was apparently a poo-poo man and given that most of his records are bordering on crap I can't say I'm surprised about that...

...and completely away from Soul, 1990s black country singer Cleve Francis was a gynaecologist - and, in fact, when his singing career didn't pan out as hoped, he went back to gynaecology. Well, it does you good to keep your hand in (sorry, ladies....)

TONE whistling.gif

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Elsewhere, Gene Anderson was apparently a poo-poo man and given that most of his records are bordering on crap I can't say I'm surprised about that...

what's a poo-poo man tony? i can't be the only one wondering whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

what's a poo-poo man tony? i can't be the only one wondering thumbsup.gif

God knows, but I've got at least 2 records by him where he's described on the label as "Gene Anderson, The Poo Poo Man" is guess it must be something he's inordinately proud of!

TONE :D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!