Radio Station & Promo Copies

Were Radio station & Promo copies of different sound quality ? Just wondered as some records appear in both formats.

Also has anyone else noticed a difference in the recording levels on Canadian issues ?

I have quite a few Canadian issues of various records & when i have played them along side USA or British issues of the same record they tend to sound quieter & less bassy, especially the Motown records !

Were they tailored to suit different countries ? Do Canadians have smaller Ears or something ?

Social source share

• Replies 5
  • Views 791
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Most of the time, radio station and promotional demos of new releases were pressed on virgin vinyl, for optimum sound quality - not the usual "recycled" type vinyl used in the States, which almost always played with noise.

There was no difference in sound between promos & issues when it came to companies like Columbia etc, who used styrene for both.

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Most of you would answer for old songs but in terms of new stuff released most difference is the timing a lot of CD promo's now may be 1 track radio edit and yet when we go and buy the single in the shops it's 2 tracks or more. As for albums some come in a plain simple cd sleeve with the tracklist and picture on front of band on simple paper M People greatest hits is like this, yet you buy the cd from shops with case and it has the inner sleeve and notes.

Also some promo's given to radio stations are of a simple 1 off track belived not to be a single release i have G4 - Life on Mars (i know not soul but made example) promo yet not released as a single wonder why it happens.

Edited by WPaulVanDyk
Social source share

Thanks for the bump Shane :lol: & for the replies so far.

It's just someone was telling me that Radio Station copies, were sometimes mastered slightly differently to sound better on the radio.

Interested if anyone else has noticed any difference in the Canadian issues ? One that springs to mind is "Bobby Taylor" - "If You Love Her", i was trying to decide which one to let go, the Canadian or the USA & on playing the two, the difference was quite profound.

I will try & hook the deck back up to the PC & see if i can demonstrate.

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

Most of you would answer for old songs but in terms of new stuff released most difference is the timing a lot of CD promo's now may be 1 track radio edit and yet when we go and buy the single in the shops it's 2 tracks or more. As for albums some come in a plain simple cd sleeve with the tracklist and picture on front of band on simple paper M People greatest hits is like this, yet you buy the cd from shops with case and it has the inner sleeve and notes.

Also some promo's given to radio stations are of a simple 1 off track belived not to be a single release i have G4 - Life on Mars (i know not soul but made example) promo yet not released as a single wonder why it happens.

??????????

which question are you replying to mate?

your reply has nothing to do with the topic.

Shane

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!