Overpriced?

Just thought this may make for some interesting reading ph34r.gif

Prophets

Eddie Parker

Two Plus Two - Can someone tell me anything about this? Personall neve heard of it...

Margaret Little

Forston & Scott

Moments

Al Scott

Soul Inc.

Bernie Williams

Lester Tipton

Cody Black

Gwen Owens

Just Bros.

Ernestine Eady

Tommy Ridgely

De-Lites

Hayes Cotton

Bill Bush - Price??? :thumbup: I pitty the fool that $2,700 for this... In fact I know the fool that payed $2,700 for this!

Lillie Bryant

Ronnie McNeir - Far, far, far, far, far, far, too dear <_<

Pat Lewis

Cashmeres

James Lately

Tina Roberts

Timeless Legend

Robert tanner

Jonny Mae Matthews

Also I want to make sure that you all understand that Bill Bush is not a rare record! See for yourselves...

One...

Two...

Three...

Four...

Five...

Six...

Besides these, I've been offered a copy this week for $1,600, Manship's just auctioned one, and I'm sure there are plenty more out there...

Feel free to post you thoughts and views.

Hope y'all enjoy! :thumbup:

Edited by billytheboot
Social source share

• Replies 18
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Two known copies of Margaret Little, makes it twice as rare as Frank Wilson ph34r.gif:thumbup: Prophets and Moments handful only and considering rarity not a bad price IMO.

Tommy Ridgely fair pric, personally rate it £1500.

James Lately another rare piece and fair price IMO.

Forston & Scott way overpriced IMO, not $5000 rae, turned one of these down for about £100 mid 90's and they were kicking about then. Just Brothers not often seen for sale neither is Tina Roberts. Only seen couple or so Tina Roberts since I turned one down from Pete Lawson for £60 in favour of two other records at Bradford Queens Hall :wave::thumbup:

Two Plus Two rare rare piece, handful only. The buyer doesn't pay that sort of money for something that is common. Been known about amongst collectors but virtually unknown to the dancefloors.

Social source share

Two known copies of Margaret Little, makes it twice as rare as Frank Wilson  ph34r.gif   :thumbup:   Prophets and Moments handful only and considering rarity not a bad price IMO.

Tommy Ridgely fair pric, personally rate it £1500.

James Lately another rare piece and fair price IMO.

Forston & Scott way overpriced IMO, not $5000 rae, turned one of these down for about £100 mid 90's and they were kicking about then.  Just Brothers not often seen for sale neither is Tina Roberts.  Only seen couple or so Tina Roberts since I turned one down from Pete Lawson for £60 in favour of two other records at Bradford Queens Hall :wave::thumbup:

Two Plus Two rare rare piece, handful only.  The buyer doesn't pay that sort of money for something that is common.  Been known about amongst collectors but virtually unknown to the dancefloors.

link

Prophets - worth every red cent, blinding record and very rare.

Ditto Ernestine Eady and a few of the others.

Think Just Bros is overpriced personally and agree with Chalky re Fortson and Scott - brilliant record but worth half that tops.

Two Plus Two and Margaret Little aren't going to come along again for a while - if they were out there someone would have whacked them straight on ebay after seeing those prices which suggests they're fair enough.

Most interesting thing about this list is that it shows how easy record collecting has now become if you've got the money. Imagine you won the lottery: you'd have the best collection in the country inside two years (though it wouldn't seem right somehow).

Social source share

What kind of crazy fool paid that for Fortson & Scott!? There has been some copies on ebay before and none made £1000 as far as I recall, more like around £700 which I thought was about the "going rate", and even that is almost over-priced IMO. There was a second copy of the Moments on ebay that sold for a lot less than the first one, low grading but a good seller with strict grading so probably a bargain on the second one. The seller of the first copy has IMO, rather poor grading, a record needs to be graded "8" or above to look and play clean from this seller, a 5 is like a weak UK VG+ (i.e. pretty darn poor) in my experience. Anyone keep track of how many copies of Cody Black sold on ebay so far this year? At least 3 - 4 copies this year alone I think. Rather weak tune too IMO. Johnny Mae Mathews is a great record but not very rare it seems, there must have been at least 25 copies sold on ebay since I started looking. Same goes for The Cashmeres, plenty of copies around. Has been more than a few copies of Tommy Ridgely for sale from various sources too, definitely over-priced, even if it is good. Some of the others are reasonable considering rarity and quality, and some are ridiculously over-priced. The market continues to fascinate with it's wild fluctuations, not much else to say is there?

Social source share

Two Plus Two and Margaret Little aren't going to come along again for a while - if they were out there someone would have whacked them straight on ebay after seeing those prices which suggests they're fair enough.

Funny you should say that ph34r.gif One of the band members has/had a copy and he either saw the e-bay listing or was informed of it and promptly put his up for sale at £3000...sure it's been sold. He contacted a few people over here about it.

Social source share

It maybe in the Wand listing but no one has ever seen one.

link

I've seen one! Not in the flesh, but I've a photo of it - in fact, anyone with the Metropotitan CD 'Soul Allnighter', the 2-disc jobby in the white cardboard case, has a piccy; On the front cover of the CD in the red record box, there is a Wand record upside down half in/half out, and if you look closely you can make out

**Just Brothers**

Carlena

It's a bit dodgy though, as most Wand stuff has the title above with stars either side, and the artist(s) below, but this is the other way around. You can also make out the pic on the back cover, as well as The Ivories on Wand.

My scanner's playing up at the moment <_< so maybe someone can post a high-res scan of the front/back cover??? ph34r.gif:thumbup:

Social source share

Funny you should say that  ph34r.gif   One of the band members has/had a copy and he either saw the e-bay listing or was informed of it and promptly put his up for sale at £3000...sure it's been sold.  He contacted a few people over here about it.

link

Yeah remember that being discussed on RSF at the time - but the point I was making was that there are no 'floating' copies out there or else etc etc

I don't think the Just Brothers exists on Wand btw - urban myth.

Social source share

I've seen one! Not in the flesh, but I've a photo of it - in fact, anyone with the Metropotitan CD 'Soul Allnighter', the 2-disc jobby in the white cardboard case, has a piccy; On the front cover of the CD in the red record box, there is a Wand record upside down half in/half out, and if you look closely you can make out

**Just Brothers**

Carlena

It's a bit dodgy though, as most Wand stuff has the title above with stars either side, and the artist(s) below, but this is the other way around. You can also make out the pic on the back cover, as well as The Ivories on Wand.

My scanner's playing up at the moment <_< so maybe someone can post a high-res scan of the front/back cover??? ph34r.gif:thumbup:

link

I would be very very surprised if it is Carlena and if it is a legit one, wouldn't be that hard to knock a fake scan up. :thumbup: I don't know one single colector who has seen this at all. I might have to go into town tomorrow to see if the cd is there to have a look.

Social source share

Mrtin Gavin (Caledonia Soul) discussed contacting Bill Bush on reflections a few weeks ago. He acknowledged that since putting a copy on E bay for Bill others have since appeared. Check here for the details

https://www.popsike.com/php/detaildata.php?itemnr=4015177328

Probably a case of people not knowing its value and as a promo for his live act quite rare in numbers. After Bill's signed and mint copy went for $2300 prices nad conditions have varied between $1100 and $1700

You should eventually be able to hear Martin relay the story once the show hits radiomagnetic's archives.

Social source share

Mrtin Gavin (Caledonia Soul) discussed contacting Bill Bush on reflections a few weeks ago. He acknowledged that since putting a copy on E bay for Bill others have since appeared. Check here for the details

https://www.popsike.com/php/detaildata.php?itemnr=4015177328

Probably a case of people not knowing its value and as a promo for his live act quite rare in numbers. After Bill's signed and mint copy went for $2300 prices nad conditions have varied between $1100 and $1700

You should eventually be able to hear Martin relay the story once the show hits  radiomagnetic's archives.

link

It was a regular listing before Bill Bush's copies. Either folk have to much money and little sense or they just don't do their homework IMO.

Social source share

It was a regular listing before Bill Bush's copies.  Either folk have to much money and little sense or they just don't do their homework IMO.

link

Let's not forget the fact that Bill Bush is an aweful 60s pop-record. There's

absolutely nothing there that even reminds me of SOUL MUSIC. How the

f**k can this get big spins on a 'soul scene' :angry: Am I missing something

here? Oh, I guess some smart-ass will tell me that this 'northern soul' and not

soul ph34r.gif

Social source share

Let's not forget the fact that Bill Bush is an aweful 60s pop-record. There's

absolutely nothing there that even reminds me of SOUL MUSIC. How the

f**k can this get big spins on a 'soul scene'  :angry:  Am I missing something

here? Oh, I guess some smart-ass will tell me that this 'northern soul' and not

soul  ph34r.gif

link

Funny thing is this is big for the second time. Was massive for Gary Spencer late 80's early 90's covered as Billy Lennox - Baby I'm Lost Without You

Social source share

Does it matter how many copies there are of a record, just means more collectors get the chance to own them, rare records are the life blood of the Northern scene and having a good collection is something to be proud of and i guess the more big money records you own does play it's part in scene status etc. i'm cool if there are a few copies knocking around if this is reflected in the price, trouble is records can and do get hyped to almost guru status and it's sometimes down to who's playing them.

Far better to go looking for semi known bits that float your boat rather than get sucked into this must have all the big tunes ethic.

The current high prices on the scene today has pushed many records out of reach to the average working bloke, i admire the few guys that can afford the big titles but most of us look in other areas to source records, i rarley go on Ebay these days either to sell or bid, anything half decent or the top end stuff is basically pointless bidding on as you ain't gonna win and you are certainly not gonna get any real bargains.

I would be interested to know what drives some people to almost totally lose control on Ebay for example, this 'must have it' ethic is driving even the most average records to an inflated price, still what goes up often comes down and will some people be quite as interested when the bubble bursts, Bill Bush was a £150.00 record only three or four years ago and is not a rare record, Cashmeres may also be more common than people think but and this is my real point does it make it any less a brilliant record if there are three copies or three hundred, the honest true answer has to be NO for the simply reason of it's quality as a tune.

Still who are we to question how some people spend their own money, i guess we would all do it if we could....lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Does it matter how many copies there are of a record, just means more collectors get the chance to own them, rare records are the life blood of the Northern scene and having a good collection is something to be proud of and i guess the more big money records you own does play it's part in  scene status etc. i'm cool if there are a few copies knocking around if this is reflected in the price, trouble is records can and do get hyped to almost guru status and it's sometimes down to who's playing them.

Far better to go looking for semi known bits that float your boat rather than get sucked into this must have all the big tunes ethic.

The current high prices on the scene today has pushed many records out of reach to the average working bloke, i admire the few guys that can afford the big titles but most of us look in other areas to source records, i rarley go on Ebay these days either to sell or bid, anything half decent or the top end stuff is basically pointless bidding on as you ain't gonna win and you are certainly not gonna get any real bargains.

I would be interested to know what drives some people to almost totally lose control on Ebay for example, this 'must have it' ethic is driving even the most average records to an inflated price, still what goes up often comes down and will some people be quite as interested when the bubble bursts, Bill Bush was a £150.00 record only three or four years ago and is not a rare record, Cashmeres may also be more common than people think but and this is my real point does it make it any less a brilliant record if there are three copies or three hundred, the honest true answer has to be NO for the simply reason of it's quality as a tune.

Still who are we to question how some people spend their own money, i guess we would all do it if we could....lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

link

Like you say Mark Bill Bush was £150 few years ago and with the amount of copies about now should be, in theory cheaper and available to many more collectors as it is far more common these days...in theory! As with many aspects of this collecting scene demand is pushing the price sky high for items that really don't warrant such prices. Bill Bush and the Cashmeres prime examples, both often fetching a four figure amount ($) :o :lol:

Bobby Kline, Johnnie MAe Matthews, Tangeers are other recent examples as is the Hyperions, was watching two copies on the same e-bay page (highest priced) earlier in the week, one went for over a $1000 dollars for a record that shouldn't be anymore than £400 IMO, probably less with the number of copies around. Again demand pushing up the price.

Doubt very much I would go out and buy these records if I had the money. To me, as good as they may or may not be, they have had their day and time they had a rest, have been hearing them for 15 years and more now. Would much sooner find a semi-known or unknown, whatever the price, preferably cheap, than buy over priced indemand records.

Like I said if records were priced by it's availability and rarity then more of these records would be available to the average collector.

Each to their own though :lol::thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Totally agree Mark!!!

Personally i think a lot of it is to do with the whole auction thing. I have mates who have bid on a record that they wouldn't mind (as opposed to desperately need!!) but once they get caught up in the whole auction thing it becomes more about winning than buying a record at a decent price and rationality goes straight out of the window.

You can see this happen time and time again, and i suspect it's one of the reasons that Manships auction's raise such ridiculous prices on some things (You can't sit back and snipe you have to get involved in the bid war!!)

Personally i use ebay occasionally but always set my limit and stick to it, some you win some you lose!! C'est la vie last week we won an almetta lattimore for a snip so it's worth it occasionally

John

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!