Best Ever Dj On Northern Scene

Guest pendulum

as i am a intersted in northern soul the records , and its history,and have a good collection of records and have been for a long time. do you have a better resaon to be on here ?

i can tell all of you ,,that its not northern soul, that Ian does not like , but the hypocryts and idiots and the ego tripping prats that have ruined NS.

my top 3 prats are

chalky

croasdale

bicknall

If you're going to insult people, the least you can do is have the wit to spell their names correctly.

Hypocrites, idiots and ego-tripping prats? words like Glass Houses, stones and throw come to mind.

Your dogged yet misguided defence of Ian Levine is admirable, but ultimately very tedious. Can't you talk about anything positive?

Social source share

• Replies 136
  • Views 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

If you're going to insult people, the least you can do is have the wit to spell their names correctly.

Hypocrites, idiots and ego-tripping prats? words like Glass Houses, stones and throw come to mind.

Your dogged yet misguided defence of Ian Levine is admirable, but ultimately very tedious. Can't you talk about anything positive?

I think you should take this post with a pinch of salt Mr Sweeny...The side kick is looking for a reaction and you took the bait...The side kick could be the man himself :thumbsup: ,who knows...

Social source share

I think you should take this post with a pinch of salt Mr Sweeny...The side kick is looking for a reaction and you took the bait...The side kick could be the man himself :thumbsup: ,who knows...

Yep, I foolishly entered into a battle of wits with an unarmed man.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Clifton Hall was run as a mid week venue years before the nighters started, I know as I used to dj there....

As for then poll, do you mean this one..... :shhh:

Steve ? nope, can't see you there... Me and Shaun are there though.... :thumbsup:

Take a look at the top records of the year, what a varied lot that is....

I bet I'm not the only one who's wondering how Tony Rounce managed to get into this particular list of Top Northern DJ's...

TONE :lol::shhh::lol::D

Social source share

Ady Croasdale has done more for 60's soul artists than Levine could ever dream of.

You tw*t

Derek

if so NAME HIS FINDS & discoveries, apart from material used on kent cd / albums.

i will start it off

kenny gamble aka tony blackburn

Social source share

Mr Levine do us all a favour and f**k off you clearly have no clue about northern soul, and hardly can call any of your posts worthwhile or infomative, you just come here for a dig at every one else no one was slagging Ian/you (i reckon you are Ian L) you took this thread down to a shite level :angry:

Tell you what Luther Ingram pisses all over anything Levine ever discovered :thumbsup:

P.S this is my pesonal view nothing to do with site.

Edited by Baz
Social source share

Don't bite...Thats what the side kick wants..Its been a good topic...Its about your fav djs and nothing else...Not a place to slag off other djs...If so then it would break all records.... :thumbsup: with posts on here..

Keep it light hearted folks and chill out...If you like Levine as Mark B does then say so,if you don't like him then so be it but keep it off here...Its been a nice topic with some good posts and brought back some good memories..

September 73 is lurking now...Lets have a little post from you sir,nice to get the views from a big promoter on the scene....

Edited by little-stevie
Social source share

Guest Andy BB

And he's off...

You're like George and Lennie!

Gavin...Tell us about us Ian

Ian: We ain't like them, we got a future, we got each other, we got somebody to talk to that gives a damn about us, them other guys can rot for all we care...

Gavin: But not us Ian, because I..see, I got you to look after me, and you got me to look after you.

Go to sleep Gavin

Ian?

Go to sleep.

I am asleep Ian.

It's touching that you gallantly jump to the defence of your friend at every opportunity, but he's a grown man for pity's sake!

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

You could paper the walls of a fair sized outhouse with a list that details all the great tracks that Ady's discovered down the years. Doesn't matter one iota whether or not he's used them on Kent albums - he still discovered them in the first place.

Tracks like It's Torture, Magic Touch, What's With This Lonelines, I'll Never Stop Loving You and the Platters' Not My Girl would be enough on their own to guarantee him a place in the "Services To NS" Hall Of Fame, and that's just a few things I've recalled off the top of my head. I'm not just saying this because he's a mate and a colleague. It's the truth...

...If he's the 'prat' that is being alleged here then our scene could do with a few more 'prats' like him, IMO...

TONE :thumbsup:

PS and BTW iin the interests of parity here, I'd like to say that I also have plenty of time for Ian Levine, and always have done. His contributions to the scene are far too often rubbished, just because people don't like him (or don't like what they have heard about him second hand, in most cases).

Ian's been a friend of mine for the best part of 38 years, and I have no reason to doubt that - even though we really don't see each other more than once every half decade - he always will be. If people don't want to like him, that's their red wagon, I guess. But for all his quirks and foibles, he was a damn' good DJ at his peak and nobody could ever take that away from him....

Social source share

A little list for me:

Pat Brady

Roger Banks

Ady C

Butch

Andy Dyson

Rich Searling

Soul Sam

Arthur Fenn

Rod Dearlove

& many many more. These guys are still doing it for people all over the place. Are liked and respected and continue to push the music into the 21st century. That's enough for me. Keeping soul alive!

Dont get out much but the likes of Steve P / Steve Z / Baz / Chalky etc etc ( Sorry If I've missed anyone out) seem like the right kind of guys to continue pushing the music and the scene & I fully intend to catch up with these guys and their music. These guys are all still here and gladly some are not.

Its about the music!! Thats what brought us all here in the first place - Not ego.

Have a nice day!

Rich

Social source share

Glad someone gave Tony Dellar a mention - he kept northern soul going with dedication and enthusiasm (and his own peculiar style!!) in Cambridge, week after week at the Howard Mallett, and (usually) had very good taste in soul music.

There was a thread recently about 'Stafford sounds' where somebody cited the Metros - Since I Found My Baby as a prime example! For goodness sake, you could hear Tony play this, most weeks, to a full floor at the Mallett during the '70s!!?!

And how about Ian Clark?

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Ian and the great musical taste and style he brought to the decks for many years. Not sure I'm qualified to say whether he was 'the best', but surely he merits some consideration?!

Peter

Social source share

Glad someone gave Tony Dellar a mention - he kept northern soul going with dedication and enthusiasm (and his own peculiar style!!) in Cambridge, week after week at the Howard Mallett, and (usually) had very good taste in soul music.

There was a thread recently about 'Stafford sounds' where somebody cited the Metros - Since I Found My Baby as a prime example! For goodness sake, you could hear Tony play this, most weeks, to a full floor at the Mallett during the '70s!!?!

And how about Ian Clark?

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Ian and the great musical taste and style he brought to the decks for many years. Not sure I'm qualified to say whether he was 'the best', but surely he merits some consideration?!

Peter

Mark Bicknell always says that Ian Clarke was the man he looked up to.. :thumbsup: ..And a good few others also..Can you let us people know a little more about Mr Clark..Venues..Tunes etc etc..Many on here including myself are not really aware of him..

regards

steve

Social source share

Guest rachel

Keep it light hearted folks and chill out...If you like Levine as Mark B does then say so,if you don't like him then so be it but keep it off here...Its been a nice topic with some good posts and brought back some good memories..

Are you after Shane's job? :thumbsup:

Social source share

as i am a intersted in northern soul the records , and its history,and have a good collection of records and have been for a long time. do you have a better resaon to be on here ?

i can tell all of you ,,that its not northern soul, that Ian does not like , but the hypocryts and idiots and the ego tripping prats that have ruined NS.

my top 3 prats are

chalky

croasdale

bicknall

==================

Really don't understand why you do this all the time Gavin, lots of people said Ian Levine as best DJ, but the threads not actually about him, or how he feels about the northern scene these days. It's you that always tries to make it into that. I admire your loyalty but think it's misplaced within this thread.

Winnie:-)

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Tracks like It's Torture, Magic Touch, What's With This Lonelines, I'll Never Stop Loving You and the Platters' Not My Girl would be enough on their own to guarantee him a place in the "Services To NS" Hall Of Fame, and that's just a few things I've recalled off the top of my head. I'm not just saying this because he's a mate and a colleague. It's the truth...

dont think so ,

these tracks where promoted to sell the cds , as with most kent cds thiere are only one or two tracks on each cd that apeals to Ns, the rest are just fill the space tracks.

getting back to the point !!!!! what tracks has he found that are not on kent cd or will be on future cd? answer NONE

and the reson why is , I MUST MAKE MONEY FOR THE COMPANY !!!!!!!!

I was prepared to give you the benefit of the doubt, but from this latest outburst it seems that you really are as bereft of common sense as your postings continually prove you to be.

If you can't back up your rantings with proven logic (and so far you haven't) , best not contribute any more, eh, there's a good chap...

Social source share

dont think so ,

these tracks where promoted to sell the cds , as with most kent cds thiere are only one or two tracks on each cd that apeals to Ns, the rest are just fill the space tracks.

getting back to the point !!!!! what tracks has he found that are not on kent cd or will be on future cd? answer NONE

and the reson why is , I MUST MAKE MONEY FOR THE COMPANY !!!!!!!!

=============

That's not the point of the thread though is it. That's the point you're trying to make. Why not start another thread to discuss as it's off topic.

Apart from Ian Levine are there ANY other DJ's you like Gavin?

Social source share

Are you after Shane's job? :thumbsup:

:D:lol::D

No not me...Shane is the man to keep all in order and make sure the memberships are sorted :shhh: ..I was just having a nice time reading posts on this topic and then this..Like i said its about who you liked and not who you don't..That topic would be interesting for sure but i aint got a legal team or any cash for that matter :lol: ..Get back to work Rachel..That shelf won't stack on its own :shhh::lol:

Social source share

=============

That's not the point of the thread though is it. That's the point you're trying to make. Why not start another thread to discuss as it's off topic.

Apart from Ian Levine are there ANY other DJ's you like Gavin?

KEV ROBERTS

RICHARD SEARLING

SIMON WHITE

RALPH TEE

CHRIS KING

PHIL DICK

TIM BROWN

all have my respect.

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

Mr Levine do us all a favour and f**k off you clearly have no clue about northern soul, and hardly can call any of your posts worthwhile or infomative, you just come here for a dig at every one else no one was slagging Ian/you (i reckon you are Ian L) you took this thread down to a shite level :angry:

Tell you what Luther Ingram pisses all over anything Levine ever discovered :thumbsup:

P.S this is my pesonal view nothing to do with site.

I've never been into Take That much anyway....Music for school discos.... :lol::shhh:

Back to the thread anyway ....Ady C has been one of my favourites for a long time his whole attitude to djing should be a pointer for most aspiring djs. Ady has a humility and honesty that is not all that common on the northern soul scene. (he'll be embarrassed when he reads this... :shhh: )

Ps - is "Croasdale" the promoter at the 200 Club in Birmingham , Levine ?

Edited by Richard Bergman
Social source share

I was prepared to give you the benefit of the doubt, but from this latest outburst it seems that you really are as bereft of common sense as your postings continually prove you to be.

If you can't back up your rantings with proven logic (and so far you haven't) , best not contribute any more, eh, there's a good chap...

just prove me wrong Tony , list these so called monster discoveries ,

to much bluffing going on , and you are adding to it , shut me up with the list !!!!

Social source share

Don't bite...Thats what the side kick wants..Its been a good topic...Its about your fav djs and nothing else...Not a place to slag off other djs...If so then it would break all records.... :thumbsup: with posts on here..

In 'my controls' you can add a poster to you 'ignore' list (I think I'm on a lot of peoples!), but just have to resist temptation to open their posts. Perhaps the poster will get bored with being ignored and give up on the thread. Also, save giving the poster the kudos of being banned by the site mods, but allows those that want to read their posts to continue to do so.

Social source share

Guest Jimmy Scriv

Strange that nobody has mentioned Tony Jebb. One of the few DJ's to play The Highland Room and The Torch on the same night. I bought a few records off Tony as once he thought a record was played out he sold it on so that his record collection was always 'cutting edge'. Regarding Mr Levine I feel that he was a record putter onner as his microphone technique left a lot to be desired. Regarding DJs today I always enjoy Mark Bicknells sets and also Roger Banks, Ginger Taylor knows how to play to a crowd.

Social source share

another day on soul source.....

thread closed for a hour or so

levines side kick

do us a favour

gonna start slagging people then take it elsewhere

last time you posted same sort of thing your account ended up suspended

you are one bad post away from getting booted off for good

Social source share

re-opened

thread is

Best Ever Dj On Northern Scene

current guidelines are here

in process of being rewritten

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.php?act=boardrules

forum is supposed to be about enjoyable and worthwhile discussion

do i have to say anything else ?

=============

Could have been worse Mike, the thread might have been

"The worst ever DJ on the northern scene"

Lot's of the same DJ's would have been mentioned :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Simon

Anyone know of any great up & coming djs to look out for, maybe peeps that have just played at local dos but deserve a wider audience?

Simon

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

just prove me wrong Tony , list these so called monster discoveries ,

to much bluffing going on , and you are adding to it , shut me up with the list !!!!

Without wishing to sound like Ady's PR man or the president of his fan club, I feel we can justifiably credit him with the discovery of any and all of the following:

Frankie & Johnny - I’ll Hold You

Jimmy Andrews - Big City Playboy

Kurt Harris - Emperor Of My Baby’s Heart

Rotations - Put A Dime On D-9

Walter Johnson - Love Keeps Me Crying

Kiki Dee - On A Magic Carpet Ride

Johnny Maestro - I'm Stepping Out Of The Picture

Gerri Granger - Why Can’t It Be Tonight

Ben E King - Gettin’ To Me

Annabel Fox - Lonely Girl

The Trends - Not Too Old To Cry

...and that's for starters.

TONY :thumbsup:

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

another day on soul source.....

thread closed for a hour or so

levines side kick

do us a favour

gonna start slagging people then take it elsewhere

last time you posted same sort of thing your account ended up suspended

you are one bad post away from getting booted off for good

Mr Mod

all i am doing is sticking up for my friend, you can not begin to know what abuse

my freind has had from the norther soul movement over the years , sometimes very vile and out of order. and i will continue to defend him at all cost, due to respect !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i know the people who have given him stick and most of them dont even know him but have just heard about him and thought that it is fashion to degrade a great DJ. these shalow people are the bad guys, not IL !!!!!!! or his side kick ,

this is not a popularty contest , but a thread on who is the best NS dj ever.

Social source share

Without wishing to sound like Ady's PR man or the president of his fan club, I feel we can justifiably credit him with the discovery of any and all of the following:

Frankie & Johnny - I'll Hold You

Jimmy Andrews - Big City Playboy

Kurt Harris - Emperor Of My Baby's Heart

Rotations - Put A Dime On D-9

Walter Johnson - Love Keeps Me Crying

Kiki Dee - On A Magic Carpet Ride

Johnny Maestro - I'm Stepping Out Of The Picture

Gerri Granger - Why Can't It Be Tonight

Ben E King - Gettin' To Me

Annabel Fox - Lonely Girl

The Trends - Not Too Old To Cry

...and that's for starters.

TONY :thumbsup:

well thats not even a set !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you must be strugling :shhh:

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

some members have not listened to Mike's requests therefore the thread is closed.

up to Mike if he wishes for it to be re-opened

Shane

Social source share