Carstairs And Universal Mind, Same Group?

Rick Cooper

• Replies 20
  • Views 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Hello Rick,

It was probably just another scene myth, I always thought Universal Mind was yet another name for the songwriting team of Aikens, Bellmon, Drayton and Turner (The Formations etc)

Paul

Social source share

Hello Rick,

It was probably just another scene myth, I always thought Universal Mind was yet another name for the songwriting team of Aikens, Bellmon, Drayton and Turner (The Formations etc)

Paul

soul_bowl.pdf

Hi Paul

That seems likely. The reason I asked was that it was stated on a Soul Bowl list from way back , not the usual source for wild speculation.

Rick

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I can understand someone making the assumption because the lead voices on both records could sound a bit similar on first listen but the Universal Mind singer is far more restrained than Cleveland Horne.

By the way, Rick, it's shocking to see that the postage charge for one record was just SIX PENCE in those days...

:ohmy:

Social source share

NO NOT THE SAME GROUP BUT AS BEFORE ON SOUL SOURCE, THE CARSTAIRS WERE THE INOCENT BYSTANDERS GOT THIS   FROM THE HORSE'S MOUTH, CLEAVLAND HORNE, LEAD SINGER OF THE CARSTAIRS.

GLYN

Thanks for that Glyn, never knew that before. I thought Innocent Bystanders were a Popcorn Wylie/Mike Terry studio group.Never played the other side of Frantic Escape so is that the side with Cleaveland Horne on?

Rick

Social source share

Thanks, now I have to buy the Innocent Bystanders 45...

However, this is the lineup I have for the Carstairs:

Joseph Baines, Larry Jefferson, Ervin Langley (deceased), Johnny Shipley, Ronald Thomas.

Is this lineup incorrect? Is there a Cleveland [was that a typo above?] Horne that is on only one of the two records? Thanks for any info.
Edited by boba
Social source share

• 5 years later...
Guest Spain pete
On 28/11/2013 at 09:57, KevH said:

Hi Bob,the Innocent Bystanders came out on Atlantic as well as Pameline.

Is there any connection to one i have on Charles records.?

Universal Minds - "A chance at love".

Anyone know if universal minds were the same group as the one on red coach ? 

Social source share

Funny subject this, fascinates me and I have endless energy for it.

Having worked in the business most of my life, from the very bottom, to slightly above the detritus, I can state that a label will have a group of musicians, let's call them 'floaters' that don't belong to any specific band but work for the label nonetheless. You might call them session players although that is a slightly different role being engaged wherever work is available, not being tied to any particular label or studio. A good example was 'The Blockheads' these played on many hit records on Stiff as well as having good studio connections with big names, Trevor Horn in particular. A famous well publicised example of their work are the Frankie goes to Hollywood hits.

These 'groups' will often do stuff that is unattached initially to any particular band. Often a band will be created from a lineup like this to do a specific job, be it a recording or a tour. I guess the Motown crew is an example of this. Other examples that fly off the tongue would be The Tomangoes, they were never a specific band. Most music fans want to believe in 'heroes' they cut their wrists, mingle blood and utter statements like (Best Mick Jagger accent) 'The band's my life man'... It's very rarely like that, although examples do exist but are few it has to be said. 

Some examples that break people's hearts when they learn that their fave guitarist isn't who they are listening include Pink Floyd (Snowy White, Guy Pratt connection) KISS whose studio and session players antics are legendary and well publicised, Motown's Jamerson myth and Funk Brothers myth (Up to as many as twelve Bass players on their books, sessions not logged correctly, no proper confirmation records kept) The Beatles and Ringo's connection with Alan White, The Who and Paul McCartney, there are stacks of these connections, Hendrix often recorded at Ladyland with a whole bevvy of guitarists.

So with these records being discussed here there is a strong likelihood of there being connections, I can't say anything specific, but highly likely. :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Guest Spain pete
9 minutes ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

Just seen the dates on posts...

Holy thread resurrection Batman!

Music is our sanctuary   Gary bartz   TUNE ! 😉

Social source share

Guest Spain pete

Due to the red coach label no doubt,  but the minds were on Charles is there a connection ? 

18 minutes ago, chartertime said:

Universal Mind was announced initially at the Highland Room as being the Carstairs. A very short term cover up - hours in fact !

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!