Anyone Heard Of Joseph Cotton 'day By Day'

Guest Polyvelts

Guest Polyvelts

Just re discovered an awesome tape I've had for ages of mainly independant new releases from 1985.

There's one track on it by Joseph Cotton (not the actor I presume !) called 'Day by Day' that Ive been looking out for for years, it's truly awesome and if anyone knows anything about it, label, location, value it would be great to find out anything about this gem !

Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

Just re discovered an awesome tape I've had for ages of mainly independant new releases from 1985.

There's one track on it by Joseph Cotton (not the actor I presume !) called 'Day by Day' that Ive been looking out for for years, it's truly awesome and if anyone knows anything about it, label, location, value it would be great to find out anything about this gem !

only Joseph Cotton I know of is a reggae singer. If there's any connection with him, Pete-S might know??

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Totally fab Womackalike, on Pashlo Records (# 1016). Can't remember where it was from as I'm at work and don't have the record in front of me, but I can see the label in my mind's eye and Los Angeles is screaming silently at me.

Would seem to be this Mr. Cotton's only record. Other JC records from the 80s are by a reggae DJ so steer clear of buying anything else on spec'!

TONE whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

Mr Rounce,

Great to know someone else knows this masterpiece ! Thanks for that - tho I am a bit scared that you know the label number without having the record in front of you !

Is this a talent other sourcers can claim to possess or is this deserving of a scary new thread of its own !

Cheers Anyroad !

Social source share

A California release from about 1983 if memory serves me correctly. A beautiful record and one which gives lie to the theory that true and pure soul music stopped being made some time in the early 70s. The guy is a great singer, with a voice srongly reminiscent of the pleading tones of the young Bobby Womack, all over a clean and spring fresh backing. Funny thing was that at the time Soul Bowl were bringing records of this quality over seemingly every week. I thought that state of affairs would go on for ever. Sadly it was not to be, and in a way records such as this were the music's last real stand. I'm glad that after all these years others are discovering this fabulous record.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

A California release from about 1983 if memory serves me correctly. A beautiful record and one which gives lie to the theory that true and pure soul music stopped being made some time in the early 70s. The guy is a great singer, with a voice srongly reminiscent of the pleading tones of the young Bobby Womack, all over a clean and spring fresh backing. Funny thing was that at the time Soul Bowl were bringing records of this quality over seemingly every week. I thought that state of affairs would go on for ever. Sadly it was not to be, and in a way records such as this were the music's last real stand. I'm glad that after all these years others are discovering this fabulous record.

would love to hear a soundfile if anyone can post one? new to me, definitely.

agree with you re the 80s gareth. i don't know much 80s soul at all but a lot of what i have heard is very good.

i posted this one a while ago - great vocal IMO

Lee_Shot___Are_You_Leaving_me___Chelsea_Avenue.mp3

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

Thanks Gareth.

Just in case anyone might be interested, here's the complete cassette track listing and it really makes you remember what quality independent NEW soul releases there were in the early eighties !!!! BEACH MUSIC including !!

I got this tape from some scottish lads living in London and at the time played it almost to death, would be great to find out who put it together, a friend of mine took one look at the playlist and was convinced it must surely be Robin Salter. Any claimers !

Recently got Eddie Mayberry in a shop in Tokyo, those fellas got taste !

A:

TOMMY TATE - CASTLES IN THE SKY

JESSE BUTLER - LET YOUR LOVE BRING OUT

TYRONE DAVIS - ARE YOU SERIOUS

TAVARES - NEVER HAD A LOVE

LEE SHOT WILLIAMS - EVERY MAN WANTS A WOMAN

BARRETT STRONG - YOU ARE MY ONE AND ONLY

JESSE JAMES - I GOT THE FEELING

EDDIE MAYBERRY - STRINGS OF MY HEART

LEON WARE - CLUB SASHAY

TIMMY THOMAS - MAKE PEACE WITH YOURSELF

JAMES GOVAN - UPHILL CLIMB

CHUCK CORBY - SOMETIMES BABY

GENERAL JOHNSON - ON THE BEACH

B:

L J REYNOLDS - LET ME SATISFY YOU

FRANKIE KELLY - AIN'T THAT THE TRUTH

JERRI RICHARD - DO YOU WANNA DANCE

RANDY BROWN - I WAS BLESSED

ANTHINY WHITE - HEY BABY

JEAN TERRELL - NO LIMIT

O T SYKES - I NEED SOMEBODY'S LOVE

BILLY ALWAYS - JUST NOT ENOUGH

DARYL PEDIFORD - SUMMER COMES ALONG

FLOYD V JONES - STRANGERS NO MORE

JOSEPH COTTON - DAY BY DAY

DEBBY DOBBINS - I FOUND YOU

RICHARD C - ITS HARD TO MAKE IT

Social source share

I got this tape from some scottish lads living in London and at the time played it almost to death, would be great to find out who put it together, a friend of mine took one look at the playlist and was convinced it must surely be Robin Salter. Any claimers !

Definately not one of mine. Hope that helps!

Social source share

James Cotton 'We Can make It/ Day By Day (Pashlo 1016) The A side is a bit messy but 'Day by Day' is a killer.

Confusion is maybe that there are several James Cottons, inclduing the actor and a Blues Harmonica player from Chicago. But this James Cotton is from Austin Texas. I think Pashlo was based in East Austin. The producer of 'Day By Day' - Danny Thomas recently opened a music museum in East Austin info below:

The Austin Public Library, along with Council Members Raul Alvarez and Danny Thomas, proposed on Wednesday a project that would honor the legacy of the Eastside music scene. In the works is a public art garden at the Cepeda Branch, 651 N. Pleasant Valley, that will recognize the likes of Alfred Johnson, James Cotton, the Victory Grill, and the Skyline Club. According to the APL, most of the funds will come from private contributions and in-kind donations. Juan Cortera Architects has submitted design plans.

Don't think I made the tape although I'm Scottish and lived in London then

Cheers Stuart

Social source share

• 9 years later...

1983 from the Bay area of San Fran and a big tune for me and others from back in the day. Yes as said before a 'new release' from John Anderson's weekly Soulbowl mail-out / lists and around £6 at the time, such a quality double sider. Numerous spins on London's pirate radio shows and  at indie soul clubs in London & S.East.

Not to be confused with the Reggae singer with the same name. Great choice Polyvelts, love this big time.

Dr Bob

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The actor's name is spelt: Joseph Cotten.  So, no, I don't think it was he who recorded this.  I doubt if he could have sung so soulful a rendition.  I am actually a friend of the actor's son.  And, I doubt that producer, Danny Thomas, was the actor-comedian star of "Make Room For Daddy, generous benefactor of Saint Jude's Hospital, and father of Marlo Thomas.

That Pashlo record is interesting.  What year was it released?  Is it an l.A. production?

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

Well, great to see Joseph Cotton getting talked about 8 years later. Still remains my desert island all time tune ! 

Steve G put the flip on a podcast a while back, a great double sider as you say Bento.

Its a Bay Area release  RobbK, and tho I never thought it really might be Holly Martin himself I'm glad he's been taken off the suspects list !

Great to hear it got played at the great East Mids venue, tho in the year of its release I used to go down on a Friday night and never once heard Jonathan play it. :D

Social source share

Well, great to see Joseph Cotton getting talked about 8 years later. Still remains my desert island all time tune ! 

Steve G put the flip on a podcast a while back, a great double sider as you say Bento.

Its a Bay Area release  RobbK, and tho I never thought it really might be Holly Martin himself I'm glad he's been taken off the suspects list !

Great to hear it got played at the great East Mids venue, tho in the year of its release I used to go down on a Friday night and never once heard Jonathan play it. :D

Is there a soundfile somewhere?

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

This is an 80s recording, 82-83 and was a big spin for me  at 'Side Door Soul Club' and Swan & Sugarloaf nights in London and also used to

get spins on my Surgery Shows on  Kiss Fm back in the day.  The A side 'We Can Make It' is also worth a spin.

Great modern soul tune,  still to reach it's full potential, methinks.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!