Ronnie Mcneir - Sitting In My Class - Deto

Sunnysoul

I've always read that McNeir recorded "Sitting in My Class" in 1966.   It's been stated that he won a radio station singing contest that won him a recording contract for one record, and that this was that record.  But, I remember Frances Nero stating that she won in 1966, and Ronnie McNeir won the year after.  Her 1966 release of "Keep On Loving Me" was the prize for her victory.  If that is true, "Sitting in My Class would have been released in 1967 (which seems very possible to me, given the look of the label and the sound of the recording.  We should be able to trace it by its pressing plant number, if it was pressed at one of the major Detroit/Michigan pressing plants, such as Archer, American

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Thanks Robb ... can't remember now whether we've previously had a topic on a discography for De To label ?

I think it's been touched upon here in a thread or two.  We talked about it on Soulful Detroit Forum.  De-To was one of the Detroit Sound family of labels, owned by a Doctor named Kyle.  Floyd Jones was his A & R man.  Their were a handful of other releases on De-To, nothing outstanding to my taste, but a couple of them were also played on The Northern Scene.

Social source share

According to Ronnie's own website, he was born in December 1949, and "Sitting In My Class was released in 1967 (I have good ears!!!).  That would have made him 17 years old when it was released.

And his second release Robb in 1970 on Rina with The Devilles or on the alternative take The Dezilles, "One more time" ?

Kev

Edited by kev cane
Social source share

If anyone has the Manifesto magazine where I did the interview with Ronnie (just as he was taking Levi's place in the Tops) he went into great detail about both sides of his De-To release, even naming the girl about whom the song was written. Unfortunately I don't have access to my copy and the drive on which all the info is stored is out of service.

Steve

Social source share

Their were a handful of other releases on De-To, nothing outstanding to my taste, but a couple of them were also played on The Northern Scene.

:ohmy:  :ohmy: 

Dee & Joe "Instant Happiness" is proper Northern Soul.

The flip "Alone In The Chapel" is proper Deep Soul.

The Attractions - Burn Up Some Road (Back To My Baby) is proper Northern Soul

I rest my case   :lol:

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

Hi! When I did the above interview with him, he corrected me and said that it was not in 1951 but in 1949.Please scroll down a bit. Best regardsHeikki

I guess that was aimed at me but sorry for my ignorance, I don't understand

And apologies if it wasn't meant for me but I still don't understand the pos

Social source share

Yes, that's pretty good too Kev

Couldn't find D & Joe (D not Dee I noticed) on YouTube but here it is on my soundcloud  :thumbsup:

Cheers

Richard

https://soundcloud.com/user1502162/d-joe-instant-happiness-de-to

Yes the D&Joe has been taken off youtube,had some nice scrolling footage/snaps of the old Attic.There were some comments as well from Dee Wolf's family,who were asking for copies of the record.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!