John Manship's Tease Auction

snooky

Guest sharmo 1

Way back in the Early 70's before Information was widely known

I had an ARCTIC copy in my hands with "Rules Of Love" but selected a copy from the box with "Laws Of Love" stupidly thinking that it was a Different record..

Though most would say that the "Rules Of Love" Stock Copy doesn't exist. I'm almost certain that It wasn't a DEMO that I held that day.

Still leaves me with an element of doubt 40+ years later.

--------

On a similar note I was convinced that a Red Columbia George Carrow with the correct title should exist.

Following many posts on Soul Source asking If anyone had seen a copy, I reluctantly decided that It didn't exist.

Then out of the blue a copy turns up.

COLUMBIA_4-44161-A_WT-1.gifCOLUMBIA_4-44161-B_WT-1.gif

COLUMBIA_4-44161-A-1-1.gifCOLUMBIA_4-44161-B_200-1.jpg

To be fare would a type error create Johns excitement ? regards S.

Social source share

OK I have been thnking, I have an old mate who lives in the States now, originally from round here, about 6 months back he asked me if I'd be interested in selling a nice copy of Margaret Little for him, I just replied that it would be just as easy to do it yourself...spoke no more about it.  Except I got a message from him friday saying he was in the UK.  Maybe he's bought it over to give to John?  Not sure where that fits in with 'rarest original' but it's just a thought.

thats a strong contender pete...although jm emphisises the word ORIGINAL! i reckon its gonna be something very famililar to us all but thought not to exist on 45!...ie melba moore magic touch!

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Anyone think it could be Chris Jackson ....Since there's no doubt. ? I'm sure Derek Allan had one and people have said it was kicking around but has anyone seen one for sale or heard one played out for a while ? just a thought although I'd like to see a scan on here please anyone ?

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Anyone think it could be Chris Jackson ....Since there's no doubt. ? I'm sure Derek Allan had one and people have said it was kicking around but has anyone seen one for sale or heard one played out for a while ? just a thought although I'd like to see a scan on here please anyone ?

Baring in mind John did buy the residue of Dereks collection off Paula after Dereks passing I asked various people who were connected with Dereks records and all said they hadn't seen it . Has John found Derek's Chris Jackson in the remains of his collection ? regards.

Social source share

Never will be because you don't hear it out being that rare, no one has it apart from 2, 3 or 4 collectors. 

But again it isn't the rarest NS record either and an issue doesn't exist as it never got that far in the process.

It's the 2nd highest priced soul record ever sold and that makes it one of the rarest soul records on the planet .. but like Bob already said .. there are loads of one off acetates etc ,so we can spend the rest of the yr debating that old chestnut eh ...or not :sleep3:

it's gotta be something more known though ,if i'm correct in thinking i read earlier that it's a traditional Northern soul record ?

Not a United Sounds cos thats not a popular sound is it .. got me stumped cos i don't really follow the finer art of what is a big room rarity anymore :g:

Fair play to J.M for his marketing ploy ,but then again ... the Bunky 45 build up probably over hyped that one and spoiled tony from Oz's  big moment to some extent ,not to mention a few others wet dreams :lol:

Im going with Steve G's initial post of Sandy Golden and a price in excess of £6k ....

Right ... off to William Hill's to put my bet on :thumbsup:

Social source share

It's the 2nd highest priced soul record ever sold and that makes it one of the rarest soul records on the planet .. but like Bob already said .. there are loads of one off acetates etc ,so we can spend the rest of the yr debating that old chestnut eh ...or not :sleep3:

it's gotta be something more known though ,if i'm correct in thinking i read earlier that it's a traditional Northern soul record ?

Not a United Sounds cos thats not a popular sound is it .. got me stumped cos i don't really follow the finer art of what is a big room rarity anymore :g:

Fair play to J.M for his marketing ploy ,but then again ... the Bunky 45 build up probably over hyped that one and spoiled tony from Oz's big moment to some extent ,not to mention a few others wet dreams :lol:

Im going with Steve G's initial post of Sandy Golden and a price in excess of £6k ....

See my post above. It is already confirmed as NOT Sandy Golden.

Richard

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

It's the Professionals believe me

Ted do you mean a gold one or bog standard because if it's bog standard he's stretched it a bit saying he's never held one I had my copy off John and that was from a box with some more in on the 06/08/79 regards Simon.

Social source share

A gold professionals would fit the bill according to the description.

It's a double sider, plus it could be described as:

The world’s RAREST Northern Soul Classic ORIGINAL!

John must have had a gold one one in his hand before though because it is in his book of rarities "Million Dollars of Rare Soul".

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

I didn't say it wasnt rare, it is one of the rarest but there are rarer, plenty of proper records that are one known copy only as well as acetates. JM says it is the rarest Northern Soul record, if that is the case it would have to be rarer than Junior McCants.

Social source share

I didn't say it wasnt rare, it is one of the rarest but there are rarer, plenty of proper records that are one known copy only as well as acetates. JM says it is the rarest Northern Soul record, if that is the case it would have to be rarer than Junior McCants.

i know what you mean mate and also that it's highly unlikely to be J.M on KING DJ let alone Blue Issue .

A gold professionals won't light my fire though .. due to the fact i don't really go in for the purest form etc ..

but the auction is'nt aimed at me or my feelings toward such things ,but i respect those who do ,it's all part of the rare soul collecting world ,so good luck to the seller and the buyer ..if that's not a  bit contradicting :g::)

Social source share

Fair play to J.M for his marketing ploy ,but then again ... the Bunky 45 build up probably over hyped that one and spoiled tony from Oz's  big moment to some extent ,not to mention a few others wet dreams :lol:

Hi Nev,

Did a Junior McCants (and I think I know which one it would be  :wink: ) go for more in a private sale than the auctioned Mello Souls?

Genuine question, because if I remember rightly the publicly sold one on E-bay went for £9k+ didn't it? Oh, and the Prophets sold for just shy of £10k.

Cheers mate.

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

I've been looking at johns site again and at the end of the description he say's " The suspense of holding this 45 at long last is killing me " I still think whatever it is john hasn't got it in his possession yet .

Social source share

Guest UPTITE U250A

Chalks,JM says the word "Classic" ......that's unambiguous.....but how "classic" is "classic".... ? I mean,how far back do we need to go ? 1970/71 ? where would JnrMc fit from that ?

Social source share

Chalks,JM says the word "Classic" ......that's unambiguous.....but how "classic" is "classic".... ? I mean,how far back do we need to go ? 1970/71 ? where would JnrMc fit from that ?

Junior McCants would be a Stafford classic I guess. How old from a scene point of view do they have to be to become a classic?

Social source share

Probably “original” refers here to original local release vs (slightly) later national release.

So it could be a classic on a major label (Bell, RCA, MGM, …) he has now found on a (possibly one-off) local label.

I guess an example would be something like Bernie Williams 'Ever Again' on Del-Val

That would make sense

Andy

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I think Jr Mccants is a strong contender rarity-wise, and if 30-odd years isn't enough to make it a classic, then the criteria would be stringent indeed!  However, could you say the flipside is a classic? 

My money is (hesitantly) on something like the Emanuel Lasky Wild Deuce 45 on a missing Thelma number.

Either that or an issue of something previously thought unreleased (Little Ann/'Diane Lewis' etc, maybe a VIP promo of 'Suspicion'), though the problem with most of those theories is the likely missing flipside.

However it's also fun to let the flights of fancy roam free and imagine something like I'm Gone/Crying Clown by Lorraine Chandler on a previously unknown (and forgotten by everybody involved) Awake issue. 

As I say, totally unlikely, but fun.  Most likely it's just going to be a gold Professionals.  Or a green vinyl John And The Wierdest, etc, etc.

Fun guessing, interesting to see what it's going to be, and hats off to John for a top-notch promotional campaign - as long as the final vinyl stands up to the speculation!

All the best,

Nick

Social source share

I still think it is a real all time classic everyone knows and loves but is super rare format so i am sticking with Dobie Gray Demo @ 100/1!

Professionals seems like a 5/1 shot, but this the Grand National of record races and anything could win  :)  :)

Edited by jim g
Social source share

OK I'm getting carried away now - I reckon it's Little Ann - What Should I Do - on a real Topper 45 

How cool would that be  :ohmy:       :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Richard

If we are going down the Detroit route what about that Magictones release that Irish Greg turned up a few years back,one of their Mahs releases which turned up as a missing Solid Hit number?

Greg might need the money for some new fluffy Dice for his Cortina.

Edited by Louise
Social source share

Richard

If we are going down the Detroit route what about that Magictones release that Irish Greg turned up a few years back,one of their Mahs releases which turned up as a missing Solid Hit number?

Greg might need the money for some new fluffy Dice for his Cortina.

Good call Dave but I actually have that one mate. Took years to get it. Greg and Dave Flynn had one each. Mine is one of the two original copies (the story of the find is on Dave's website from an article in Shades of Soul I think). Mr Manship has def seen my copy, so had it in his had so to speak, and I reckon there's a handful of these. One (not from the original two) went through eBay a few years ago. Think someone on here snaffled it  :wave: . Soooooo much better than the Mah's release - lots of horns and a very loud pressing. Rarest record on Solid Hit by a country mile, but not the rarest Northern Soul original ever - the plot thickens further.

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

Guest Juniorsoul

I've heard that there's only a couple copies of Junior McCants - Try My For Your New Love on King

Don't know if anyone can shed any light on this?

Edited by Juniorsoul
Social source share

Hi Nev,

Did a Junior McCants (and I think I know which one it would be  :wink: ) go for more in a private sale than the auctioned Mello Souls?

Genuine question, because if I remember rightly the publicly sold one on E-bay went for £9k+ didn't it? Oh, and the Prophets sold for just shy of £10k.

Cheers mate.

Hi Pete ,take your point ,but is that a cryptic clue ;)
Social source share

??? ???? C/w ???

Especially for those dedicated global Northern Soul collectors who seek the ultimate rarities, coupled with unrivaled reputation and desirability.

On Friday 29/11/13

Will be presenting what we consider as the rarest The world’s RAREST Northern Soul Classic ORIGINAL having been a ONE OF A KIND 45 for over 4 decades.

Totally and never having never been for sale on the worldwide web.

It is of course a most fabulous Northern soul double-sider in a unique format.

ending 18th. December in time for your best Christmas ever, for those of you serious about owning the world’s most challenging vinyl rarities

Social source share

'One of a kind for over 4 decades' that dates it to pre Wigan, or the first 4 months of Wigan. So obviously not 1st played/discovered after 1973. That's how I read it anyway... so what does that leave us with?

Edited by MrC
Social source share

Guest UPTITE U250A

Junior McCants would be a Stafford classic I guess. How old from a scene point of view do they have to be to become a classic?

From the start of the Northern Soul Scene maybe ? There was a scene even before Stafford ya know :rofl: !!!

Social source share

'One of a kind for over 4 decades' that dates it to pre Wigan, or the first 4 months of Wigan. So obviously not 1st played/discovered after 1973. That's how I read it anyway... so what does that leave us with?

On a unique format ;)
Social source share