A Soulful Christmas Compilation. Out 2/12/13

No room for this Ian ?

Horace Williams and Choker Campbell-I'm going Christmas shopping

https://youtu.be/4s1cBv-7hfk

Kev

Christmas repertoire is quite carefully protected by the various labels as they all have their own Christmas albums which never seem to go out of catalogue, so out of every 50 tracks applied for, a good 60% will generally get turned down. So, as per normal, these comps are never easy. The Horace Williams was a 'lil bit too left-field for this one I'm afraid Kev. Great choice though!

Ian D  :D

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

What about "Spending Christmas Day With You" by The Nibbs, or "Christmas Time" by Jan Bradley(written by Curtis Mayfield), "Merry Christmas" by The Cameos?

Probably slightly too dated for this comp Robb. Generally speaking, it's really hard to sell-in anything from the 50's or 60's to any of the major buyers, so I could only manage a handful of the more well-known 60's ones for this comp unfortunately....

Who owns that Jan Bradley track out of curiosity? First time I've heard it......

Social source share

Getting some decent traction already.....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Soulful-Christmas-Various-Artists/dp/B00GD71XZK

£9.00 to your door too!

Beats the shit out of hearing Slade and Wizzard for the gazzilionth time! :lol:

Ian D :D  . 

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

As an aside. Did you know that the B side to Greg Lake's - I Believe In Father Christmas* - was Humbug?

Maybe you could do an alternative Chritmas collection next year :thumbsup:

*This is still my fave Christmas record. Not soul but just a wonderful emotive record.

Social source share

Yes I always thought the lyric was dodgy too!

Yep, there's several different interpretations of what the "Back Door" lyrics were all about, but Clarence seemed to have an affinity for sexual innuendo lyrics - "Money And Women", "Looking For A Fox", "Getting The Bills (But No Merchandise)", "Strokin'" etc, etc.

Either way, I'm not gonna get into a discussion with the mother-in-law on Christmas Day about the lyrics to "Back Door Santa" thank you very much!  :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Cloughy

It would have been on here Geeselad 'cos it's also top of my tree too. Unfortunately Philly International is off-limits at present. Hopefully Vol 2!

Mine to - remember getting this in a soul pack from Blackpool, and going on my Moped at 16, in about 73/74 :)  

Social source share

Probably slightly too dated for this comp Robb. Generally speaking, it's really hard to sell-in anything from the 50's or 60's to any of the major buyers, so I could only manage a handful of the more well-known 60's ones for this comp unfortunately....

Who owns that Jan Bradley track out of curiosity? First time I've heard it......

I have one, and I think Bob A. probably has one.  It is pretty rare, however.  If you mean "who owns the rights to it, I'm not sure.  Hootenanny Records was a local, Chicago small indie label.  The production was done, and owned by Don Talty.  So, I assumed he leased the masters to Hootenanny, and that lease period has expired.  I think that Talty is deceased.  So, I'm not sure who has those masters now.  Curtis Mayfield wrote the songs, and he and Johnny Pate ran the session (as they both did for Talty on Jan Bradley's Formal and Night Owl sessions).  But, I don't think that tht master tapes ended up with Mayfield.  Surely, Talty got them back from Hootenanny in the mid sixtys.  I don't know if he sold them, or who ended up with all his tapes.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I've really enjoyed this compilation. I am usually of the Bah Humbug persuasion until the Saturday before Xmas, but not since getting this!

Nice to have a clean version of Lonnie Hill and, a bit unexpectedly, I like the Eugene Wilde and Stephanie Mills tunes quite a lot.

Nice one Soulfinger. You're our perfect target audience mate! Some surprises on here. I'm quite partial to the Natasha Watts track.... :thumbsup:

Social source share

Got mine in the post this morning, played it through and I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of soul

on the compilation. I`ve had various xmas soul comps in the past which have been disappointing to

say the least, but this one ticks all the boxes.....thanks for the heads up

You're welcome mate. Looking good on the charts too!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!