Changed Your Style Of Dancing

Has anyone else found that their style of dancing has changed over the year's. I know mine has for sure, started out in late 70's spinning in full circle skirt's and sliding side to side in Mocassin shoe's smile.gif and of course stomping had fab time.

Changed again in 80's/90's and although now I sometime's dance in that style, unbeknown to myself - it's changed yet again in the past year or so. Still known to have the occasional stomp (only thing that remained unchanged throughout the years) :ohmy:

Karen

Edited by sanquine
Social source share

• Replies 46
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Has anyone else found that their style of dancing has changed over the year's. I know mine has for sure, started out in late 70's spinning in full circle skirt's and sliding side to side in Mocassin shoe's smile.gif and of course stomping had fab time.

Changed again in 80's/90's and although now I sometime's dance in that style, unbeknown to myself - it's changed yet again in the past year or so. Still known to have the occasional stomp (only thing that remained unchanged throughout the years) wink.gif

Karen

Mine too!!,it just gets better :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest barnsey

yes ive change mine from a one armed man juggling six hot potatoes on a escalator to the more contepary style of epileptic otter with a air bomb repeater jabbed in its gaseye :yes:

Social source share

Has anyone else found that their style of dancing has changed over the year's. I know mine has for sure, started out in late 70's spinning in full circle skirt's and sliding side to side in Mocassin shoe's :yes: and of course stomping had fab time.

Changed again in 80's/90's and although now I sometime's dance in that style, unbeknown to myself - it's changed yet again in the past year or so. Still known to have the occasional stomp (only thing that remained unchanged throughout the years) :yes:

Karen

================

Yep definitely changed mine, used to be more side to side, punctuated with drops etc, but no longer do the 'drops' and have found over the years I've become more 'in a circular' style.

Winnie:-)

Social source share

================

Yep definitely changed mine, used to be more side to side, punctuated with drops etc, but no longer do the 'drops' and have found over the years I've become more 'in a circular' style.

I TOO ADOPTED THE 'CIRCULAR STYLE' FOR A WHILE ...WHEN 'BIG VERN' (local money-lender) NAILED ME FOOT TO THE FLOOR :yes:
Social source share

HAVE GOT SLOWER ........

ditto

(but lovin' it more because these mature days have left me feeling i don't have to prove anything, unlike those speed fed days of my youth) :yes:

Social source share

me and one of my mates whilst a bit pissed planned to go on a full on , no holes barred northern dancing night, we planned to wear baggy levis, shirts in the style of bowling shirts (could be a separate thread) and sensible dancing shoes, i lasted half of jimmy frazier, felt sick at the thought of eddie parker, and when the dj played ann perry i managed 30 seconds and could not speak for 30 minutes afterwards :yes: manifesto :yes:

Social source share

Mine has gotten more theatrical *eek*. I think my style is quite 60's orientated *shrug*, lots of head action toot.gif

I even danced in a dress at cleethorpes on the Saturday afternoon! That's a first!!

Edited by Soulbag
Social source share

Yeh, do it sat on a chair now :yes: hand jive is about all i can manage.

Appreciate some clarification of something that cropped in Karen's reply. "Stomping"

Now we always called "stomping" the fast feet moving, bouncy dance done to records like 'Flaming Emeralds' e.t.c. Yet on reading some of the books attributed to N.Soul, others refer to it as "shuffling" Anyone ??

Social source share

Dont think ive changed . The only diferance is nowadays I dont care what it looks like. I just dance because I like to dance. :yes:

Social source share

Guest Marcelle

Mine has gotten more theatrical *eek*. I think my style is quite 60's orientated *shrug*, lots of head action toot.gif

I even danced in a dress at cleethorpes on the Saturday afternoon! That's a first!!

:yes: Tell me more .... :yes:

Social source share

Guest Marcelle

I TOO ADOPTED THE 'CIRCULAR STYLE' FOR A WHILE ...WHEN 'BIG VERN' (local money-lender) NAILED ME FOOT TO THE FLOOR :yes:

Oh I forgot I do that now ..... but its usually cos i`ve lost my glasses .... & I have to keep going round & round while I :search: for them !!!!!!!!

Hi darling xx

Social source share

Oh I forgot I do that now ..... but its usually cos i`ve lost my glasses .... & I have to keep going round & round while I :search: for them !!!!!!!!

Hi darling xx

HI TO YOU SWEETHEART, DRAG YOUR MAN TO THE ALL-DAYER SATURDAY AND WE'LL CUT A RUG !!! I MIGHT EVEN ATEMPT A SPIN :yes:
Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

i try and copy or dance as best i can to how you should with Northern soul music maybe some older ones think weird or what but i enjoy mself

Social source share

================

Dance in a more circular style these day's too Winnie - must be something to do with age :yes: as whatever I'm dancing to, I still do the same even to oldies. :yes:

Karen

Social source share

Dance in a more circular style these day's too Winnie - must be something to do with age :thumbsup: as whatever I'm dancing to, I still do the same even to oldies. :lol:

Karen

===============

I blame Spanner, originator of the 'crop circling technique' loved by so many these days :shhh::lol:

Still shuffle occasionally but every 10 seconds have a puff on the inhaler to enable breathing :shhh:

Social source share

Yeh, do it sat on a chair now :shhh: hand jive is about all i can manage.

Appreciate some clarification of something that cropped in Karen's reply. "Stomping"

Now we always called "stomping" the fast feet moving, bouncy dance done to records like 'Flaming Emeralds' e.t.c. Yet on reading some of the books attributed to N.Soul, others refer to it as "shuffling" Anyone ??

Funny you should mention this, recently I decided to let my hair down. (so short, ain't got none to let down but you know what I mean) :lol: and have a little "Stomping" session. A friend commented later that they hadn't seen me "shuffle" before :thumbsup:

Karen

Social source share

Guest Brian J

LIKE YOU KEN AS I'VE MATURED IT'S JUST GOT BETTER....WON THE DANCING COMPETITION AT THE LAST GREATSTONE AND I WAS ONLY ON ME WAY TO THE BAR whistling.gif

tongue.gifranting_1.gif:P

Social source share

Yeh, do it sat on a chair now tongue.gif hand jive is about all i can manage.

Shuffling=something to do with the seaside(seaside shuffle) maybe?,cleethorpes,blakcpool,etc;whereas Stomping=land lokced dancing venues,Wigan,Torch,Twisted wheel,Clifton hall.............just a theory :P not bothered,can do both anyhow ranting_1.gif .

Stomp-on. Ken

Social source share

Funny you should mention this, recently I decided to let my hair down. (so short, ain't got none to let down but you know what I mean) thumbsup.gif and have a little "Stomping" session. A friend commented later that they hadn't seen me "shuffle" before :P

Karen

6 of the best for rushing my posts laugh.gif I meant to say "cropped up" in Karen's post

But what is it ? Stomping or Shuffling ?

P.s.

Always had a thing about women with short hair laugh.gif Oooh Matron :ohmy:

Shuffling=something to do with the seaside(seaside shuffle) maybe?,cleethorpes,blakcpool,etc;whereas Stomping=land lokced dancing venues,Wigan,Torch,Twisted wheel,Clifton hall.............just a theory :yes: not bothered,can do both anyhow :P .

Stomp-on. Ken

So you are with me that it's called Stomping then Ken ?

Social source share

Shuffling=something to do with the seaside(seaside shuffle) maybe?,cleethorpes,blakcpool,etc;whereas Stomping=land lokced dancing venues,Wigan,Torch,Twisted wheel,Clifton hall.............just a theory :ohmy: not bothered,can do both anyhow :ohmy: .

Stomp-on. Ken

Good theory - but "stomped" loads at "Wigan" and "Cleethorpes". :ohmy:

Come on Ken, don't keep us waiting - you've obviously got the answer - the difference between "Shuffle" and " Stomping". :ohmy:

Karen

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

HAVE GOT SLOWER ........
...Know where you're coming from - my only 'dancing' at do's these days seems primarily to involve the lifting of the right arm from beerglass to gob, and back again. Still, most people tell me that seems to be an improvement on my earlier style, which generally involved a lot of flailing aimlessly into anyone within a 50 yard radius...

TONE :ohmy:

Social source share

Good theory - but "stomped" loads at "Wigan" and "Cleethorpes". :P

Come on Ken, don't keep us waiting - you've obviously got the answer - the difference between "Shuffle" and " Stomping". :ohmy:

Karen

Well as a very very,reguler at Cleggy you wouldnt catch me "stompin",likewise you wouldnt catch me "shuffling" at Clifton hall :ohmy: ,so the definative answer is they`re both the same :D anybody wanna` argue :ohmy:

PS,you cant stomp in "sandles;espodrills;plimsols;etc" seaside gear,and you cant shuffle in "brogues;cloggs;royles;and any shoe with seg`s plastered all over the bottom;etc",Wigan gear,just a theory?.

:ohmy:

Edited by ken
Social source share

Guest Doris

I always thought stomping and shuffling were two different styles - you would stomp to a 100 mile an hour records - fast feet, moving back and forth on the spot, changing direction with each stompoccassionally. A shuffle is more of your mecca style of dancing, smooth and floaty without stamping a la Carstairs type of music ------------------ or so it was in my day , have to admit stomping for one record would kill me these days

Doris

Social source share

I always thought stomping and shuffling were two different styles - you would stomp to a 100 mile an hour records - fast feet, moving back and forth on the spot, changing direction with each stompoccassionally. A shuffle is more of your mecca style of dancing, smooth and floaty without stamping a la Carstairs type of music ------------------ or so it was in my day , have to admit stomping for one record would kill me these days

Doris

Hey up Dot,you dont mind me calling you Dot?,think thats called "Floating"even the records where called floaters,float-on Ken

PS 110 mph actualy.

Edited by ken
Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

I could move in 1973, my knees are knackered now so yes I've changed my style, still got two left feet though. :ohmy:

Social source share

I could move in 1973, my knees are knackered now so yes I've changed my style, still got two left feet though. :ohmy:

I've changed my style of shoes, which has in turn changed my style of dance. Not out of choice, sadly those trusty brogues that served me well at many a nighter have passed on.

Social source share

I've changed my style of shoes, which has in turn changed my style of dance. Not out of choice, sadly those trusty brogues that served me well at many a nighter have passed on.

Talking of shoe styles, anyone remember the fad for wearing ten pin bowling shoes for dancing ?

You could go to any Bowling Center & there would be row upon row of unclaimed mouldy holey pairs of Green Flash

Social source share

Talking of shoe styles, anyone remember the fad for wearing ten pin bowling shoes for dancing ?

You could go to any Bowling Center & there would be row upon row of unclaimed mouldy holey pairs of Green Flash

Used to nikc em`,from sheffield bowls,go in a old pair of crap shoes,leave them go home with some propper bowling boots,with the chizzle like toe`s,and soft leather soles,fukcin` ace for dancin` in :ohmy: honest :ohmy:

Social source share

=============

Very similar in shape to solatios

Social source share

Agree :D hate changing dancing shoes, last pair I could dance in the "floaty" style ken

mentioned, can't managed that style at all in new shoes ( known as Lesbian shoes by some ) whistling.gif

New shoes = new dance style :lol:

Karen

Edited by sanquine
Social source share

===============

Got a pair of Loakes I've had for about 9 years. They're starting to split, covered in talc stains, the soles have been replaced a few times, when they're gone.............will probably stop dancing.......they're sort of irreplacable whistling.gif

Social source share

Has anyone else found that their style of dancing has changed over the year's. I know mine has for sure, started out in late 70's spinning in full circle skirt's and sliding side to side in Mocassin shoe's blush.gif and of course stomping had fab time.

Changed again in 80's/90's and although now I sometime's dance in that style, unbeknown to myself - it's changed yet again in the past year or so. Still known to have the occasional stomp (only thing that remained unchanged throughout the years) blush.gif

Karen

Not only as my dancing changed over the years karen,i now find it changes over the night lol..starts off o.k ,but by 5am my brain is still doing can can but my legs are doing the waltz...
Social source share

LIKE YOU KEN AS I'VE MATURED IT'S JUST GOT BETTER....WON THE DANCING COMPETITION AT THE LAST GREATSTONE AND I WAS ONLY ON ME WAY TO THE BAR :thumbsup:

But who won the table dancing competition there, the only one short enough..between table and ceiling???? :thumbsup::D:D:D:D

Social source share

Not only as my dancing changed over the years karen,i now find it changes over the night lol..starts off o.k ,but by 5am my brain is still doing can can but my legs are doing the waltz...

:D:D

All in the mind Carole :D Seen you at 7.30 am shimmering on down, doing your stuff on the dance floor :thumbsup: legs and arms fully co-ordinated :D

See you a wk on Saturday (r u dressing up too) :thumbsup:

Kaz

Edited by sanquine
Social source share

Guest Doris

Agree :shhh: hate changing dancing shoes, last pair I could dance in the "floaty" style ken

ew shoes = new dance style :lol:

Karen

Now I couldnt mention this to normal people but.................I cried when me 15yr old dancing pair of light mouded to my feet/feels like I have no shoes on pair of brogues finally split and were not fixable :thumbsup: . After several new soles ............... they finally had to face the great dustbin in the sky. Had lots of versions since and none have ever felt the same - thus my dancing standards have changed since too :lol: or thats my excuse

Finally on the mend since my crash a few more months and I should hit that dancefloor soon - Karen be warned I'm reserving that space....................................

Doris

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!