Manships Auction Prices Today

• Replies 34
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Anyone know what todays auction items went for?

Just think what most other dealers would have got for them and multiply it by three :yes::yes::D

Social source share

Come on someone must know

Jo Ann Henderson - Baby Please Don't Go - Phonograph £308

Curly Moore - You Don't Mean - Sansu Promo £434

Johnny Honeycutt - I'm Coming Over - Triode £2214

Lee McDonald - Sweet Magic - Debbie £553

Ike & Tina Turner - Somebody (somewhere) Needs You - Warner Bros Promo £91

Howard Tate - French EP inc £56

Eddie Holland - Jamie - Fontana £509

Paul Thompson - Special Kind Of woman - Volt £562

Volumes - I've Never Been So In Love - Garu £510

Larry Saundes - On The Real Side - London promo £118

Rita Wright - Touch Me Take Me - Jet £90

Briant Holland - (Where's The Joy?) In Nature Boy - Kudo (78) £24

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Jo Ann Henderson - Baby Please Don't Go - Phonograph £308

Curly Moore - You Don't Mean - Sansu Promo £434

Johnny Honeycutt - I'm Coming Over - Triode £2214

Lee McDonald - Sweet Magic - Debbie £553

Ike & Tina Turner - Somebody (somewhere) Needs You - Warner Bros Promo £91

Howard Tate - French EP inc £56

Eddie Holland - Jamie - Fontana £509

Paul Thompson - Special Kind Of woman - Volt £562

Volumes - I've Never Been So In Love - Garu £510

Larry Saundes - On The Real Side - London promo £118

Rita Wright - Touch Me Take Me - Jet £90

Briant Holland - (Where's The Joy?) In Nature Boy - Kudo (78) £24

jo ann henderson finished at £519 which is a bloody scandal

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

it's a scandal as it's another one of those things that goes waaaaaay too high on the auction .... should only be a £200 at most

supply and demand though i spose

Social source share

also what happened to the link where you could see what Johns Items finished at

Did he change the page or sumfink?

because all you get now is auction ended no prices?

Gash - Johns site has been changed and not to go into too much technical detail, Internet Explorer 6 XP browsers have an error decoding the javascript. :yes:

The solution is to install a decent browser like Firefox from the link below

https://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

then you should see the auction end prices again. :yes:

Social source share

jo ann henderson finished at £519 which is a bloody scandal

Jo Ann Henderson recieve a total of 28 bids, with FIVE seperate bidders joining the bidding just before or after 18:00 hrs, mainly because just before six o'clock the price was low. You get five people against each other in any auction room you will get a high finish price.

We'd suggest the demand for this 45 is a little higher worldwide than in Dundee. If anyone wants to sell me another copy for £200 we'll be very happy to buy it.

Edited by john manship
Social source share

Guest the dukester

Jo Ann Henderson recieve a total of 28 bids, with FIVE seperate bidders joining the bidding just before or after 18:00 hrs, mainly because just before six o'clock the price was low. You get five people against each other in any auction room you will get a high finish price.

We'd suggest the demand for this 45 is a little higher worldwide than in Dundee. If anyone wants to sell me another copy for £200 we'll be very happy to buy it.

Why oh why do we always go down the road of Johns auction records being - "too much money" "a scandal" "only worth this or that" "rip off"????

The item is worth it to someone who wants to pay that amount for it, END OF!!! Its a regular post now on here every Thursday someone wanting info on the finishing prices so they can have a good moan about it, No wonder the scene is full of crap.

You dont seem to be able to buy any record without someone having a go at you, Even if its a cheap one.

Never mind people inflating prices by paying x amount for records, let the ones who want to do it, do it, and if I want to pay over the odds for a record its my choice not your's their not asking you to contribute money to pay for the f###in thing are they?

I work hard all week and if I want to spend my money on a record I have been after for ages and I have chance to get, be it off John or any Tom Dick or Harry I will do it, remember the saying "Only God can judge me" .........there are a lot of personal Jesus's on this site.

I suggest that we have a forum on here called.... AFTER THE AUCTION (derogatory comments only please)

And if my box is full of records I have paid top dollar for.... I dont care, but you do.

I did a lot of rooting about in the seventies, eighties, picking up cheap records that are going for a lot of money these days, but people only seem to remember you for paying ££££ and then taking great pleasure in ripping you and the guy you bought it off to pieces (generalisation)

Love thy Neighbour..........but dont take down your fence :lol:

ANGRY OF HUDDERSFIELD :D:lol::yes::yes:

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

I both buy and sell records on John's auctions.

I have picked up some bargains, and have received much more than was expecting on some of my sales.

I don't think it's wise to imply that the auctions are in some way fabricated, or that there is some big conspiracy. The auctions are real and you have to realise that record prices are not based on what someone had in their sales box in a working men's club in some far flung corner of the north of england in 1986.

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

I think John himself mentioned in his first price guide the psychology of many people, if I don't have it the record should be cheap, if I have it the record should be expensive, if I can't afford it I turned one down at 10p years ago because I don't like it. I think loads of things are overpriced for what I'd be prepared to pay for them but will pay a high price for something that I want and don't think I'll get easily otherwise (doesn't always work out like that though, doh! :yes: ). Most people do that I'm sure, whatever their price bracket for records may be. Its frustrating seeing records sell for more than you might be prepared to pay but hell, thats the way life works! But that Curly Moore was far too much :yes:

I don't generally bid on John's auctions though because he does get high prices. If I was selling up though, well I think I know who I'd try.

Social source share

Nobody's saying the auctions are dodgy - it's more that you can watch in amazement as people pay ridiculously high prices, sometimes double or treble what the record is being sold for. For instance, I sold a PP Arnold UK Immediate demo last week for something like £140. If that had been in the auction it would almost certainly have gone for something like £350. That's life! Why would anyone but a London demo of Larry Saunders for over £100 when they can but a US original off me for £45? Answer: because they've got the money to be able to do so. Originally I thought the auction prices where reached due to people not knowing what the records were actually worth, nowadays I think they do know, but they can afford it and the records not coming round again for a while so why not buy it?

But there's nothing wrong with someone having an opinion on a price. If record X sells for 200 quid above it's usual asking price then obviously there's going to be a discussion about it. Thats not slagging off the seller, it's just discussion about a record.

Social source share

Jo Ann Henderson fetched around $800 on ebay last year, so not really surprised it has gone for over £500 on Johns auction.

Wether I believe it's worth that myself is irrelevant, but take into account that it is scarce (1954 or thereabouts), plus it's highly desirable on the R&B scene, Mod scene and Popcorn scene, it is easy to understand why prices can go so high.

Glad I only paid £50 for mine though :thumbsup:

Had a 78rpm of it once - got it from ebay for $2 and sold it for about £40.

Never seen one since.......

Social source share

Jo Ann Henderson fetched around $800 on ebay last year, so not really surprised it has gone for over £500 on Johns auction.

Wether I believe it's worth that myself is irrelevant, but take into account that it is scarce (1954 or thereabouts), plus it's highly desirable on the R&B scene, Mod scene and Popcorn scene, it is easy to understand why prices can go so high.

Glad I only paid £50 for mine though :thumbsup:

Had a 78rpm of it once - got it from ebay for $2 and sold it for about £40.

Never seen one since.......

the one that went for $800 on ebay was a scam, there have been 2 on since that have not reached over $500. £500+ is excessive, it's a simple as that - I think there's a lot of collectors with this record and if you offered more or less any of them £300 they would probably sell it - so what's the market price £300 or £500? shows how abstract prices are.

There must be people who want these rare records but are unable or unprepared to hunt around a bit. That's fair enough if they've got the money but what I wonder is: who the f*** are they??

I guess those auctions are just very high profile and attract far more potential buyers. And as long as prices go like this it shows there's some real enthusiasm out there for the music. It'll be when prices are half what I paid that I'll be bitching and moaning!

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Nobody's saying the auctions are dodgy - it's more that you can watch in amazement as people pay ridiculously high prices, sometimes double or treble what the record is being sold for. For instance, I sold a PP Arnold UK Immediate demo last week for something like £140. If that had been in the auction it would almost certainly have gone for something like £350. That's life! Why would anyone but a London demo of Larry Saunders for over £100 when they can but a US original off me for £45? Answer: because they've got the money to be able to do so. Originally I thought the auction prices where reached due to people not knowing what the records were actually worth, nowadays I think they do know, but they can afford it and the records not coming round again for a while so why not buy it?

But there's nothing wrong with someone having an opinion on a price. If record X sells for 200 quid above it's usual asking price then obviously there's going to be a discussion about it. Thats not slagging off the seller, it's just discussion about a record.

It's always interesting to see what they go for.

I think Manship's auctions help illustrate the psycology of buying records. If a record can easily be sold at X and a collector pays X for it then the real cost of the record is 0. It is as good as money in the bank with the added advantage of having the record to enjoy. Manship's records often go above what many people would concider X, let's call it Y. So the real cost of buying the record is X-Y. That difference in price is what someone values having that record in their hands at.

The trick is obviously knowing what X is. On big oldies it's pretty easy as they have a good track record and the worldwide market for them is huge. But that's not to say that someone is 'stupid' to pay a few hundred quid more than X for it, that's just how much they value having the record at.

The interesting thing for me, and somthing that is really very ironic, is that the people who tend to 'slag' Manship's auctions are often people who perhaps bought the records very cheaply many years ago.

For example "collectorA" buys a record by "Smarties and the dolly mixtures" for £5 in 1990 and it now has become a well known oldie with a solid sellable value value of £1500 (X=£1500). Then CollectorA sees "collecotrB" buying the "Smarties and the Dolly Mixtures" for £2000 (Y=£2000) from Manship's auction and then posts on soul-source that he thinks it's silly and ridiculous. The thing is when you concider the true value of the record X-Y you will see that "collector A's" cost of holding the record is much more than that of "collector B" who has just paid £1995 more for the record than "collecotr A" did in 1990.

Ironic, if you understand what I'm saying? :thumbsup:

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest Stuart T

The thing is when you concider the true value of the record X-Y you will see that "collector A's" cost of holding the record is much more than that of "collector B" who has just paid £1950 more for the record than "collecotr A" did in 1990.

Is there really a cost allocated to holding an appreciating asset? Inchoate accountancy nonsense! :thumbsup:

Social source share

:thumbsup::shhh:

Forgetting the bleeding obvious - if someone pays X for a record on an online auction it means that someone else was willing to pay x -1 - so for those that knock these prices there are always at least two people in the range of the end price.

Social source share

the one that went for $800 on ebay was a scam, there have been 2 on since that have not reached over $500. £500+ is excessive, it's a simple as that - I think there's a lot of collectors with this record and if you offered more or less any of them £300 they would probably sell it - so what's the market price £300 or £500? shows how abstract prices are.

There must be people who want these rare records but are unable or unprepared to hunt around a bit. That's fair enough if they've got the money but what I wonder is: who the f*** are they??

I guess those auctions are just very high profile and attract far more potential buyers. And as long as prices go like this it shows there's some real enthusiasm out there for the music. It'll be when prices are half what I paid that I'll be bitching and moaning!

Fair points Mike - but compare this record to a few other R&B 45s that have reached £300+, for example 5 Royales and Big Daddy Rogers.

I believe Jo Ann Henderson is far rarer than either of these.

Jo Ann Henderson is now gaining interest from collectors on the Northern Soul scene who have a liking for R&B so it is inevitable that the value of this item will increase.

Not agreeing that it is worth £500, but I can see how such values are obtained.

As always, the trick is get it while it's cheap (as well you know :thumbsup: )

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

hey i'm entitled to an opinion like anyone else and in my opinion £519 is a scandal and as for the interest in it the one on ebay that went for $800 i pulled out at just over £250 so i'm well aware of the interest thanks .. and if i'm being honest if i was selling one i'd sell it through you cos it seems to attract higher prices than anywhere else

Social source share

Manship's auctions help illustrate the psycology of buying records.

For example "collectorA" buys a record by "Smarties and the dolly mixtures" for £5 in 1990 and it now has become a well known oldie with a solid sellable value value of £1500 (X=£1500). Then CollectorA sees "collecotrB" buying the "Smarties and the Dolly Mixtures" for £2000 (Y=£2000) from Manship's auction and then posts on soul-source that he thinks it's silly and ridiculous. The thing is when you concider the true value of the record X-Y you will see that "collector A's" cost of holding the record is much more than that of "collector B" who has just paid £1995 more for the record than "collecotr A" did in 1990.

Ironic, if you understand what I'm saying? whistling.gif

If any one has a mint copy of Smarty and the Dolly Mixtures can they PM me. I'm willing to pay over the odds. Otherwise I agree with James.

Social source share

Jo Ann Hendeson 1954??!! Is that a misprint. Never heard it.

ROD

I've been infomed by a few people that Jo Ann Henderson is 1954.

Gene-R post # 11 on the following thread backs that up.

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=27755

Its a raucious screamin' version of the blues classic 'Baby, please don't go' which gained pop status when 'Them' recorded their version in the 60s.

Big record on the Belgium popcorn scene that has gained massive popularity on the R&B and Mod scenes in the U.K.

First recorded in 1935 according to the following link, but no mention of Jo Ann Henderson amongst the endless list of artists who have covered the track

https://www.secondhandsongs.com/song/18415.html

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

I've been infomed by a few people that Jo Ann Henderson is 1954.

Gene-R post # 11 on the following thread backs that up.

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=27755

Its a raucious screamin' version of the blues classic 'Baby, please don't go' which gained pop status when 'Them' recorded their version in the 60s.

Big record on the Belgium popcorn scene that has gained massive popularity on the R&B and Mod scenes in the U.K.

First recorded in 1935 according to the following link, but no mention of Jo Ann Henderson amongst the endless list of artists who have covered the track

https://www.secondhandsongs.com/song/18415.html

to be honest i thought it was 1957 , no idea why though .

personally i prefer the rose mitchell which i believe is 1953

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Noooooooo...you and that pesky Merv.. :Ptongue.gif

actually mace until about 3 months ago i didn't know it was on 45 and i was happily playing it off album assuming '53 might have been a touch early for the 45 blush.gif

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

If any one has a mint copy of Smarty and the Dolly Mixtures can they PM me. I'm willing to pay over the odds. Otherwise I agree with James.

I have Bertie and the Bassets- allsorts, still in the celophane.

It is stamped BBE 08/06 blush.gif

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Why oh why do we always go down the road of Johns auction records being - "too much money" "a scandal" "only worth this or that" "rip off"????

The item is worth it to someone who wants to pay that amount for it, END OF!!! Its a regular post now on here every Thursday someone wanting info on the finishing prices so they can have a good moan about it, No wonder the scene is full of crap.

You dont seem to be able to buy any record without someone having a go at you, Even if its a cheap one.

Never mind people inflating prices by paying x amount for records, let the ones who want to do it, do it, and if I want to pay over the odds for a record its my choice not your's their not asking you to contribute money to pay for the f###in thing are they?

I work hard all week and if I want to spend my money on a record I have been after for ages and I have chance to get, be it off John or any Tom Dick or Harry I will do it, remember the saying "Only God can judge me" .........there are a lot of personal Jesus's on this site.

I suggest that we have a forum on here called.... AFTER THE AUCTION (derogatory comments only please)

And if my box is full of records I have paid top dollar for.... I dont care, but you do.

I did a lot of rooting about in the seventies, eighties, picking up cheap records that are going for a lot of money these days, but people only seem to remember you for paying ££££ and then taking great pleasure in ripping you and the guy you bought it off to pieces (generalisation)

Love thy Neighbour..........but dont take down your fence laugh.gif

ANGRY OF HUDDERSFIELD :Plaugh.gif:Pthumbsup.gif

Here bloody here !!! totally und utterley agree 100% with you :ohmy:

Bearsy

Social source share

I saw that Bobby Bland "Shoes" go for a bit recently. I thought that was a sandal!!

ROD

fair's fair though rod, it's a northern sole classic. i had a copy myself, used to really give it some welly down the youth club, but it turned out to be a boot.

Social source share

I saw that Bobby Bland "Shoes" go for a bit recently. I thought that was a sandal!!

Jo Ann Hendeson 1954??!! Is that a misprint. Never heard it.

ROD

Your delicate ears would shrivel up like wet walnuts and become inverted never to reappear again before the intro had finished Rod. Don't risk it Mate! 1954?? Good Lord that 45s older than me!! Hope it's aged better! :ohmy:

Regards,

Dave

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!