Chris Bartley-Going Out Of My Mind

Harry Crosby
Go to solution Solved by Goldsoul,

Hadn`t heard this fantastic record for many years, until last night, when I played it on the tube. Big Searling spin in the late 70`s early 80`s I believe. Is this a one off. acetate only and was Chris bartley a cover up name, or the true identity of the artist?? Thanks for any info-H

https://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqQnHK8Q8qc

Edited by HARRY CROSBY
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Hadn`t heard this fantastic record for many years, until last night, when I played it on the tube. Big Searling spin in the late 70`s early 80`s I believe. Is this a one off. acetate only and was Chris bartley a cover up name, or the true identity of the artist?? Thanks for any info-H

https://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqQnHK8Q8qc

Massive mainhall memories - love it Harry :)

Social source share

The acetate was discovered by moi in 1977 when I cleaned out April Blackwood publishing's office.

The identity of the artist is Van McCoy. He sang lead on most of his song demos. I still have Van's demo of 'I Get The Sweetest Feeling'.

From the same haul, I had other crackers such as 'Standing In The Need of Love by Francine Barker of Peaches and Herb.

I sold the ' I Go Out of My Mind' to RS around 1978 ish along with Johnny Honeycutt and the Cashmeres.

Another put to bed, thanks for the post and the find  :)  

Well in Harry, got a shiver or two again :thumbsup:

Edited by Barry
Social source share

The acetate was discovered by moi in 1977 when I cleaned out April Blackwood publishing's office.

The identity of the artist is Van McCoy. He sang lead on most of his song demos. I still have Van's demo of 'I Get The Sweetest Feeling'.

From the same haul, I had other crackers such as 'Standing In The Need of Love by Francine Barker of Peaches and Herb.

I sold the ' I Go Out of My Mind' to RS around 1978 ish along with Johnny Honeycutt and the Cashmeres.

Thanks Kev, I bet that was a spine tingling moment hearing that for the first time

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Btw - it's always been in me Top 20 must-haves from that time - ain't happening is it? :wink:

Social source share

What did you get for it?

I sold it for £50 with Johnny Honeycutt and The Cashmeres £100 each. I think that should have told me my days as a record seller were numbered  :lol:

As for the other question ' I bet that was a spine tingling moment hearing that for the first time' .....Remember it was at a time when the biggies consisted of Jamie, Peter Jarrett, Burning Bush etc, so 'I Go Out Of My Mind' sounded like a really good Soul demo, but not for dancing. Probably Richard would have been the only DJ buyer around that had interest in it. :D 

Edited by The Golden 101
  • Up vote 1
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

I think the acetate has TM publishers on the label. A well known music house, a lot of their stuff was mixed into the April Blackwood haul. Oddly enough, I was more impressed with finding a 10 inch reference dub of the Sweet Things at the time, now you would be all on to get £30 for it. The 70's eh!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

This is why I love this site! You're always finding out new stuff, the back story to tunes and people that hold so many memories etc.

Great stuff.

Nice one Kev

:thumbsup:

Social source share

The "Standing In The Need Of Love", is this the one credited to The Charmaines that went to Jimmy Wensiora then Rob Marriott?  If so then it's Sandi Sheldon, she sang it as well at Cleethorpes.

Didn't Rob Marriott have the Chris Bartley at one point?  As for crossover, nah, it's just a decent 60's soul record.  Have a decent recording of it somewhere.

Social source share

The "Standing In The Need Of Love", is this the one credited to The Charmaines that went to Jimmy Wensiora then Rob Marriott?  If so then it's Sandi Sheldon, she sang it as well at Cleethorpes.

Didn't Rob Marriott have the Chris Bartley at one point?  As for crossover, nah, it's just a decent 60's soul record.  Have a decent recording of it somewhere.

I never knew that about Sandi Sheldon.

I did a podcast with the studio acetate of the Chris Bartley on it, I'll see if I can find it

Social source share

I know no one is biting on the price but to me it is a Top 20 Wigan sound.....if I had it whatever it was I would pay it....Searling could not have done a more varied and better job than he did at Wigan at that time.....and this is me thirty years on having listened and heard everything that I have since.

A singularly beautiful piece of song writing, topped off with a sublime vocal by the author, laid down in one un-better able vocal...love you for that alone my man Van. X

Edited by Barry
Social source share

What would the board say it's worth?

One off acetate, big Wigan sound, top quality memory prodder.

£600 -£800??

Blimey had forgotten just how wonderfully floaty "Going out of my mind" is and wow quite simply a fabulous piece of soul music.

Pretty certain a mate of mine still has a Chris Bartley acetate which he bought and played a bit at the Bradford Queens Hall allnighters early nineties.

However an alarm bell is ringing somewhere in the back of my mind as the above title doesn't ring a bell.

He offered it to me a few years ago for a rather large amount of folding.

However I was told at the time there were a few acetates of it knocking about.

Was the word "Sunshine" in the title?

Better text him now to clear the foggg....

Derek

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Blimey had forgotten just how wonderfully floaty "Going out of my mind" is and wow quite simply a fabulous piece of soul music.

Pretty certain a mate of mine still has a Chris Bartley acetate which he bought and played a bit at the Bradford Queens Hall allnighters early nineties.

However an alarm bell is ringing somewhere in the back of my mind as the above title doesn't ring a bell.

He offered it to me a few years ago for a rather large amount of folding.

However I was told at the time there were a few acetates of it knocking about.

Was the word "Sunshine" in the title?

Better text him now to clear the foggg....

Derek

It's called I Go Out Of My MInd.

Social source share

"Going out of my mind" sounds very familiar (didn't know I knew it till now). I guess Richard must have played it a lot at Clifton Halls in the early 80's.

Move Records had a deal with Chris Bartley in the mid 80's (via Bill Downs).

Pity his guys hadn't kept copies of his unreleased tracks or they could have made them available for UK release back then as well. 

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Remember when you got these Kev you came into Rob smiths shop with them  and the you'll always be in style acetate,

Social source share

"Going out of my mind" sounds very familiar (didn't know I knew it till now). I guess Richard must have played it a lot at Clifton Halls in the early 80's.

Move Records had a deal with Chris Bartley in the mid 80's (via Bill Downs).

Pity his guys hadn't kept copies of his unreleased tracks or they could have made them available for UK release back then as well.

It isn't by Chris Bartley. The vocalist is Van McCoy himself. Richard credited it to CB as I only had the song sheet along with the original acetate which contained no identity of the vocalist.

Van's sister told me it was Van when I played her my one off acetate of 'I Get The Sweetest Feeling'

Social source share

Remember when you got these Kev you came into Rob smiths shop with them and the you'll always be in style acetate,

You have a great memory, although I think I had them well before Rob opened(1980). 1977 seems to spring to mind.

The acetate you mentioned was by the Ad Libs.

A great time for me in NYC, bouncing between the likes of George Kerr, Herb Abramson(Festival) and a few others.

Social source share

I would LOVE to hear THAT one!!!  Is there a way we can listen to it?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!