Felice Taylor

barney

having a trawl through youtube and came across and played my favourite winter tune ,

It may be winter outside by felice Taylor , this was written by a barry white , is this the same big baz ,we know ,

also there are mentions of Motown paying off felice because she was a rival to Diana ross .

as far as Im concerned felice has a better voice than ross .

this has probably been covered before.

ATB barney

Social source share

Hi Barney, it was a good Diana Ross impersonation, a wonderful song with a great arrangement and it showed that Barry White was strongly influenced by the Motown sound and style, as were the producers at Mirwood etc.

Felice had potential but I wasn't so impressed with the tracks she cut with other producers.

Paul

Social source share

heres some info gleaned off the tinternet ,

In the mid-'60s, pre-stardom Barry White produced singer Felice Taylor, whose vocals were reminiscent of Diana Ross, for Bob Keane's R&B label Bronco Records. Taylor's only Billboard-charting single was "It May Be Winter Outside (But in My Heart It's Spring)," reaching number 44 R&B, number 42 pop in early 1967 (her singles did well in the U.K.).

Born January 29, 1948, Taylor sang in the Sweets, a trio that included her sisters Norma and Darlene. Signed to Bronco and released on the Mustang label, Taylor's three singles -- "It May Be Winter Outside" b/w "Winter Again," "Under the Influence of Love," and "I Feel Love Coming On" -- were co-written and produced by White. After leaving Bronco, Taylor recorded for Kent ("Captured By Your Love"). Years later, she recorded in the U.K. with Eddy Grant and Derv Gordon of the Equals. In the summer of 1973, White's protegées Love Unlimited recorded Taylor's "It May Be Winter Outside" and "Under the Influence of Love." Taylor's Bronco/Mustang singles "It May Be Winter Outside," "I Feel Love Coming On," and "Under the Influence of Love" are available on Boss Soul: The Genius of Barry White, a 1998 various-artists compilation from Del-Fi Records.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I saw her at the Saville theatre in London but can't remember who else was on the bill. It was on a Sunday afternoon, and I'm sure that Brian Epstein was involved somewhere in these. As far as I can recall she sang three songs, probably her singles. I think my wife was keener on her records than I was, she liked girl group type sounds.

There were several concerts there on a Sunday, went to quite a few, saw Jimi Hendrix, Bee Gees, Cream, Procol Harum, Vanilla Fudge and Gladys Knight & The Pips among others. The latter were superb, just had Take Me In Your Arms And Love Me released here. Joe Tex was supposed to be the main attraction, but he didn't show up. Many people got their money back leaving only a relatively small number present. We were invited to the front of the theatre to sit. the Alan Price Set did the first half of the show and then Gladys and the Pips. They sang their two Motown singles and songs like Giving Up, Either Way I Lose, Every Beat Of My Heart, Letter Full Of Tears, etc. Sorry to digress from the original subject.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

having a trawl through youtube and came across and played my favourite winter tune ,

It may be winter outside by felice Taylor , this was written by a barry white , is this the same big baz ,we know ,

also there are mentions of Motown paying off felice because she was a rival to Diana ross .

as far as Im concerned felice has a better voice than ross .

this has probably been covered before.

ATB barney

Barney one of my all time favourite records mate .

Social source share

I'd not heard about her dieing but if anyone knows for definite what happened to her I'd be very interested. I love the bob keene productions but her most soulful was I can feel your love coming down on me

which i think...only being a youngster (46) :wicked: i first heard on a kent comp in the mid 80s :thumbsup:

dean

Social source share

I saw her at the Saville theatre in London but can't remember who else was on the bill. It was on a Sunday afternoon, and I'm sure that Brian Epstein was involved somewhere in these. 

You're right about Brian Epstein being involved. He owned the Saville Theatre at that time & the Beatles were in the audience for a great many of those shows.

Social source share

You're right about Brian Epstein being involved. He owned the Saville Theatre at that time & the Beatles were in the audience for a great many of those shows.

I went to several of these concerts and don't remember any of the "fab four" being present. Think if they'd been at the ones I was at they'd have been mobbed. Doesn't mean they didn't attend some.

I do remember a girl there dressed a bit like a fairy queen from Lord of the Rings. Wonder what happened to her.

Social source share

I went to several of these concerts and don't remember any of the "fab four" being present. Think if they'd been at the ones I was at they'd have been mobbed. Doesn't mean they didn't attend some.

If I recall correctly, they had a private box reserved for them but some nights would let mates use it instead of themselves -- they'd usually only attend one show as well (the night I went there were 2 houses; 1st started about 6.30 & the 2nd about 9pm)

post-22122-0-76387600-1385452332_thumb.j

Social source share

• 4 years later...
On 25/11/2013 at 22:15, ady croasdell said:

I'd not heard about her dieing but if anyone knows for definite what happened to her I'd be very interested. I love the bob keene productions but her most soulful was I can feel your love coming down on me

Felice Taylor's daughter just posted this on Youtube

Robert Velez   9 months ago

I wonder if Felice Taylor and Barry White were an item back in the day?

ILMJXXX   8 months ago

I have never come across anything to say that they were or have ever been?

Charlotte Taylor   4 months ago

My mom was not an item with Barry White, she was married to my dad Johnnie Taylor! Barry White produced and managed her career with my dad.

DJ Agent Double O Soul   1 month ago

Charlotte , is your mom alive and well today?

Charlotte Taylor  20 hours ago

Unfortunately my mom passed away on 6/12/2017  

• Up vote 1
Social source share

In Soul Survivor magazine # 3 published in 1985 there is a feature on Felice Taylor entitled 'One Hit Wonder'. Apparently her voice was criticised as mimicking Diana Ross. More popular in England she returned to the States with an attitude according to Barry White who said of her  'She was mechanical, a very mechanical singer and she had a very bad attitude to the business, so she blew the whole thing'.

I think her birth name was Florain Corella Flanagan. It may be that she was a few years older than her 'official' stage birth-date.

Edited by Firecrest
Birth name correction.
Social source share

A wikipedia contact and myself have been doing a bit of research into Felice and her birth name was actually  Florine Corella Flanagan. Her correct date of birth was January 29th 1944 so her management took off four years ( a not uncommon practice) to market her as a teenager. She married her manager Johnny Taylor in 1960, They divorced in 1977. It seems she was known as Flo or Florain for most of her life. There is a record on Groovy, later leased by Chess/Cadet using the name Florain Taylor. It certainly sounds like her but can anyone confirm I am right. Several sites suggest it is one & the same .

Social source share

On 25/08/2018 at 08:25, Firecrest said:

It seems she was known as Flo or Florain for most of her life. There is a record on Groovy, later leased by Chess/Cadet using the name Florain Taylor. It certainly sounds like her but can anyone confirm I am right. Several sites suggest it is one & the same .

It would make sense, given that "Florian"'s "Think About Me" and Felice's "Good Luck/New Love" are both composed by Steve Cook and Chuck Tate (composers of Morris Chestnut's "Too Darn Soulful")

...and speaking of songwriters, BMI lists her as having composed two numbers (as "Floran Taylor"):

"My Darling", written with Maxwell Davis and Jules Bihari (I'm assuming this is likely the remaining unissued Felice Taylor Kent/Modern recording?)

"Honey" written with Johnny Steve and Chuck.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!