Joss Stone Does Anover Cover

Jordirip

Fair play to the lass, she's got a great voice, she's quite probably a very nice person and she doesn't seem to crave the ridiculous celebrity lifestyle and limelight that everybody else does, but why did she have to cover probably my favourite Dells record eh? Why Joss, why?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwSzXu-L4IA

Do you sing along when the Dells version is playing? :)

Social source share

So do I, and I don't have a voice like Joss Stone, or MJ, she may cover them because she appreciates them, as I would if I had her talent, so fair play to the girl IMO  :thumbsup:

I hope she does appreciate them Win, obviously someone in her camp does, to suggest it as a cover in the first place. I just hope Robbie Williams doesn't start to appreciate the Dells as well. Joss does a decent version there to be honest but I wish some things were just left alone.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Nothing against Joss but it doesn't work for me, it sounds a bit contrived, it seems a bit forced in places (especially some of the music) and a song like this shoud flow ...like a river.

Sorry.

P.S.  I always wanted to be on Juke Box Jury

:wink: 

Edited by Paul
Social source share

So do I, and I don't have a voice like Joss Stone, or MJ, she may cover them because she appreciates them, as I would if I had her talent, so fair play to the girl IMO  :thumbsup:

She probably covers them as it is an easy pay day and doesn't have the talent and would get nowhere with her own material.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Nothing against Joss but it doesn't work for me, it sounds a bit contrived, it seems a bit forced in places (especially some of the music) and a song like this shoud flow ...like a river.

Sorry.

P.S.  I always wanted to be on Juke Box Jury

:wink: 

...and to be fair it's a lot to expect because The Dells original has such amazing dynamics, vocally and musically, ranging from almost naked gentle sensitivity to powerful intensity, so I don't really expect anyone to ever get close to it.

It was just like a special experience in life that was so unique that you know it won't ever happen again.

Social source share

She probably covers them as it is an easy pay day and doesn't have the talent and would get nowhere with her own material.

You're not quite as tactful and diplomatic as me  :ohmy: but very true, I don't know anyone who could write a song like that these days. The art of great songwriting has been in decline for many years.

Paul

Social source share

...and to be fair it's a lot to expect because The Dells original has such amazing dynamics, vocally and musically, ranging from almost naked gentle sensitivity to powerful intensity, so I don't really expect anyone to ever get close to it.

It was just like a special experience in life that was so unique that you know it won't ever happen again.

Even Joss must have felt depressed knowing that she would never be able to come close to the Dells masterpiece. Still, a few people might get to hear the Dells' version  as a result and just think how lucky they will be to hear it for the first time.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

You're not quite as tactful and diplomatic as me  :ohmy: but very true, I don't know anyone who could write a song like that these days. The art of great songwriting has been in decline for many years.

Paul

I can do tact and diplomacy Paul but I prefer to get straight to the point.....its the Yorkshire in me I think :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest soulman chris

Joss has a nice voice, better than some of the other conveyor belt singers on programmes like the dreaded X Factor but the emotion is just not there,when the Dells sing this tune tears start to well up as it is sung with such emotional itensity.

Like Jordi this is my fave Dells song so no one will ever do it better.

Cheers

Chris

Social source share

I think the Jerry Butler/Brenda Lee Eager version is superior to The Dells. BLE takes the Marvin Junior parts and easily rivals him.

Hello Gareth

I like that version too, and it has great orchestration.

My favourite by Butler & Eager is 'Ain't Understanding Mellow', I can play it over and over and over ...(you get the idea)

Social source share

Paul

Far be it for me to defend her - but the Dells didn't write it either - please compare like with like - you can't criticise her for the lack of her own material when the 'preferred' version was not written by the performers either.  Mike 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Far be it for me to defend her - but the Dells didn't write it either - please compare like with like - you can't criticise her for the lack of her own material when the 'preferred' version was not written by the performers either.  Mike 

Hello Mike, I obviously wasn't referring to Joss when I said "I don't know anyone who could write a song like that these days", I was picking up on Chalky's "own material" comment but thinking of new / original material (written by anyone) rather than covers.

As for the performance, I did say that I wouldn't expect anyone to get close to The Dells version because it has such great dynamics and sensitivity. It's more of a reference point than a comparison.

Joss has done better.

Paul

Edited by Paul
Social source share

Fair play to the lass, she's got a great voice, she's quite probably a very nice person and she doesn't seem to crave the ridiculous celebrity lifestyle and limelight that everybody else does, but why did she have to cover probably my favourite Dells record eh? Why Joss, why?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwSzXu-L4IA

Sounds like she is competing with the awful orchestration and that bleedin rimshot or whatever it is that bangs away constantly in the background is very annoying, cannot fault her voice though

Social source share

I can do tact and diplomacy Paul but I prefer to get straight to the point.....its the Yorkshire in me I think :D

tha reyt chalks'.................tell az it iz !!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!