Big Ella

Djr

I have 2 of her 45s:

It Takes a Whole Lot of Lovin / Lo Lo

Too Hot Too Hold / Salem

My questions:

a. The Queen on Rush - anyone have a soundclip?

b. What else is there in her discography?

Would like to hear more.

Social source share

• Replies 10
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest dundeedavie

her real name is ella thomas , so you can look under that also.

i'm a big fan of hers and have looked for a discography for a while

Social source share

Guest Jean-Marc

her real name is ella thomas , so you can look under that also.

i'm a big fan of hers and have looked for a discography for a while

Davie,

Her real name is Ervaella Tate , her recordings were from Chicago

Ella Thomas' were from Oakland

Cheers

JM

Social source share

The Queen on Rush

Bought this for a few dollars on spec at the same time as Little Ben and The Cheers. Always played the deep side Please Don't Hurt Me, which in my opinion is a much stonger side.

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Davie,

Her real name is Ervaella Tate , her recordings were from Chicago

Ella Thomas' were from Oakland

Cheers

JM

JM i took the info from a review on la pella nera as follows .....

As described in Tim Brown’s sleeve notes, this compilation takes its name from the short lived three-issue magazine “Rare Soul Review” and seeks out the spirit and essence of that publication by offering a wide variety of Northern Soul-oriented records. Most of the 22 obscure tracks received a review in those pages and are issued on CD for the first time ever, to satisfy the demand of those hard collectors always in search of new sounds. In other words, if you are an occasional Northern Soul records buyers, this is not the kind of stuff you might go mad for. All the capitals of Northern Soul are represented: Detroit (Wille Jones’ “My Baby Ain’t No Plaything”, Steve Mancha’s “Monday Through Thursday”, the flip side to his better known “Friday Night”, Jackey Beaver’s “Lover Come Back”, Dusty Wilson’s “It’s Going To Be A Tragedy”), Chicago (Donald Jenkins’ “I’ve Settled Down”, Mark III’s Should I Believe You”), Los Angeles (Locations’ “Mister Diamond Man”, Johnny Summer’s “I’m Still Yours”), Philadelphia (Gail Anderson’s “Be Proud You’re In Love)”, not forgetting Houston, Texas (JJ Daniels’ “Mr Lonesome”). The New Wanderers’ frantic “Let Me Render My Service” is considered by the compiler one of the best finds since Wigan. It is a great record that has all the ingredients to become a monster, if played at venues. For crossover fans, Salt & Pepper’s funky & obscure “A Man Of My Word” and Robert Tanner’s “Sweet Memories”, a cult record in the UK, are worth repeated listening. A couple of personal favourites are Big Ella’s “The Queen” (real name Ella Thomas), a fantastic R&B record delivered from an oversized lady that worked for many different labels in the sixties, and Fredrick Knight’s frantic “Steppin Down” on Maxine, his rarest 45 recorded in Alabama. The latter appeals both Northern Soul and Funk collectors and could be easily taken from the infamous “Keb Darge’s Legendary Deep Funk” series. Different things for different tastes, isn’t what makes our scene so exciting?

Edited by dundeedavie
Social source share

Guest GoodTaste

b. What else is there in her discography?

Would like to hear more.

I only know two of her 45's recorded as "Ella Thomas"

- Understanding (never heard)

- Part time lover on the Flag label , a very nice R&B number, i have a spare copy if someone is interested.

She recorded under the name Big Ella :

- The Queen - Rush

- Too hot to hold - Salem

- It takes a lot of loving - Lo-Lo

i don't know if the Big Ella on the Superheavy label is Ella Thomas, anyway i don't like the song. I have another killer funk song recorded by Ella. Probably an unreleased one on an Audiodisc Acetate from the Salem period (i think, cause on the other side there is Too hot to hold and the sound is the same).

Social source share

• 14 years later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!