Future Of Northern Soul

Guest LeedsPal

So for Northern Soul to continue it must change ?  So for any kind of music to continue it must change to something it isn't.  It makes no sense.  If people are not happy with 'Northern Soul' or any other genre of music then go somewhere else that plays what you want.  Don't change something just to suit you, or eveybody else aparently.  There are still those out there that like to listen to this.  They can call them Dinosaurs or it a Nostalga Scene but what right do people have to tell someone what they should or shoulkdn't be listening to.  I love my old stuff but I don't tell people who listen to Modern Soul that it is shit, has no depth or passion, not my place.  Yes, the old 'Classics' are rolled out time and time again so perhaps they should look a little deeper.  Old Soul is endless and we only skim the surface.  How many tunes were played at The Torch. Take out the top 500 and there are another 5,000 to choose from.  Do not denounce me or my music because it is something you do not like.

Please note that this is a generalism and not aimed at anyone in particular.

Tezza ,I'm not saying the music has to change,but you can't deny the scene in general has changed ,not all ways for the good I know but it has changed and will continue change ,I'm not big on 100 mph stuff now ,a venue that advertises its self as such,is not for me ,I like to hear new to me stuff,playing the same old stuff to me gets boring ,love the classics ,but I don't want to hear em all the time, my tastes have changed over the years , the scene has changed from mostly 100 mph back to a good mix of tempo's, a change I welcome  

Bazza  :hatsoff2:

Edited by Bazza
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Tezza ,I'm not saying the music has to change,but you can't deny the scene in general has changed ,not all ways for the good I know but it has changed and will continue change ,I'm not big on 100 mph stuff now ,a venue that advertises its self as such,is not for me ,I like to hear new to me stuff,playing the same old stuff to me gets boring ,love the classics ,but I don't want to hear em all the time, my tastes have changed over the years , the scene has changed from mostly 100 mph back to a good mix of tempo's, a change I welcome  

Bazza  :hatsoff2:

Agree Bazza.  A big thing this 100MPH. I try to tell them that back 'when we wuz kids' it wasn't all 100mph, if anything the majority were mid tempo or slower.  Eddie Foster, Idle Few, Linda Jones etc.  We need to reclaim it and there are a few Clubs attempting to do so.  Don't give up though Bazza, despite what they say about the Young Kids, you are the future mate.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Yawn the same old venue plugging. Zzzz

Two things toady.........not plugging venues that l have anything to do with....and secondly trying to point this fella at a few alternatives other than big oldies/ordinary soul nights/nighters    that all me ole fruit :D  :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

wasn't you ;-)

kinda guessed that.......was trying to get you to commit  lol.......know exactly what you mean though :D  :D

Social source share

Being only 17 myself, i guess i'm still new to the scene as a whole, some people have been into it for 40 years or so, i'm just scraping the surface of a whole life ahead of new soul music and people to meet. I guess i'm alot different that the kids up at 'Wigan Young Souls' as my parents were never into the music, they were into the rave scene in the 80s. None of my friends were into it and to be honest, i didn't even know it exsisted! I got into The Jam when I was about 10...i found an old CD of it in my dads collection, and decided to listen to it, i didn't know about Paul Weller or 'mod' or anything, I just liked the music. I was listening to The Jam for about 2 years until i heard about The Who by accident...one of their songs 'I Won't Get Fooled Again' was played out in a pud or something once and i loved it! I found out who they were and i bought one of their CD's from Woolworths (can't remember what one now). I dropped that music for about a year and got into my parents music taste; Happy Mondays, Primal Scream, 808 state etc...When i was about 14 i got into The Who again and starting buying their other albums and looking to tours etc, it slowly came apparently that The Jam and The Who, both had the same logo...but it was actually the roundel. From there i got into other mod bands such as The Creation, The Byrds, Secret Affair etc... Through knowing these bands now, i found about about Ska bands aswell, Specials, Bad Manners...so i really got into that aswell.

Northern soul, or, Soul music, was the last thing i found out about, i discovered it by accident when i looking on a page about 'mod music', so i decided to give it a try...I found out about kev roberts top 500 and started listening to them, it didn't click at first, so i tried to found some harder edged sounds, and the first track i fell in love with was called, Fox in a Mini Skirt - Claude & hank Carbo (castle records), which is quite under the radar. Slowly i started to learn about the tunes and started to collect records...this really helped me learn the music and get to learn new music, for me, records are a visual thing aswell as the audio, i find it easier to remember a record from the label, visualising it in my mind. Now I collect mainly r&b and funky stuff...i like the sounds that are a bit different from the 'oldies' as too be honest, i can't stand that stuff. Frank wilson...the snake...don't even get me started. I've never liked it, never will. Now i have a collection of about 400 45's and has become part from everyday life, going to a night on the friday and then an all nighter on the saturday or just a night, and maybe an all dayer on teh sunday if it's nearby, i travel all over england from bristol up to manchester, based in peterborough, i'm pretty much in the centre of everything, and the scene is still good here, no one my age, but that doesn't affect me one bit.

I do anything i can to get money to buy records and go to nighters, I buy and sell everything from stamp collections to clothes to the obvious...records...

so yeah, that's abit about me as a whole....

Aaron

This years award for the best post in 2013 go's to LincsYoungSoul . May I also say you should be banned from SS for being to grown up :wink:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

What you mean the music that 99% want to hear, great idea...

its not an idea pete, its an opinion, if the scene sticks to its current 60's obsession it will die in my honest opinion, sooner or later. if it can take the ethos of championing underground music with passion, then it has an indefinate lifespan, again, IMHO.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Krissii

If youre a "returner" to the scene I'd personally give the large more commercial venues hellbent on playing top 50 a miss. Find yourself two or three independent smaller clubs who play OVO and progressive tunes as well as getting informative advice on where to go. That way you and your wife won't feel intimidated, I would say ease your way in slowly. Not a venue plugger by any means I'm in Sheffield Horse & Groom Doncaster or Horti Club, Hollingwood Chesterfielld, Boomerang at Thorne or Blackhearts. Above all enjoy! Life's too short.

Ktf

Mick

I would say the opposite. My advice would be to go to the big classics events first. The dance floors are big and always packed. I think it makes it easier to dance at those type of venues if you are feeling shy or self conscious. You can kind of get lost in the crowd.

But the events where more underplayed tunes are played are really good too, with some top quality dance music.

I think most people go to both types of events . There are also a lot of free pub events that aren't too bad either, especially in the Lancs/Yorks areas.

Perhaps you (Leedspal) are being a bit sensitive thinking folk are looking at you, wich is understandable as you haven't been for a while but i think most people are just too into the music to care what anyone else is doing, no.matter what the type of event.

Edited by Krissii
Social source share

I'm going stoke this saturday...but not for the oldies, i'm normally in the 2nd room the whole night, love it in there. 

Hi Aaron....and WELCOME to SS AND 'the scene'!!x You remind me of me when I was your age....mentally....in 1993.....but I was 32!!x I look forward to shaking your hand at Kings Hall....and would offer a lift for free but Pete...my mate...has never been to a doo in his life....he's 40_....but does nighters most weeks in his music studio!! However....he has his Mams birthday meal on Sunday so needs to get back for that and be in a fit state or she'll slap him!!....and i'm going to Charity Soul's All Dayer to DJ at Kellingley near Pontefract....so will be returning with Pete at 2am and will be off again Sunday morning for up t'norf! I am intending to stay over night....BUT....if ure doing nowt Sunday....i;'m passing Boro' on the way up....alone...and would happily pick you up and take you for the day and we'd return on the evening...late...if you have to return for Monday....otherwise....there is a warm hotel room waiting for you for free and we'd leave the next morning! Let me know mate.....it'd be a pleasure...X

LUV

SOOTY

X

The future of Northern Soul starts with folk like you....X

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Mr Faye

Hi Aaron....and WELCOME to SS AND 'the scene'!!x You remind me of me when I was your age....mentally....in 1993.....but I was 32!!x I look forward to shaking your hand at Kings Hall....and would offer a lift for free but Pete...my mate...has never been to a doo in his life....he's 40_....but does nighters most weeks in his music studio!! However....he has his Mams birthday meal on Sunday so needs to get back for that and be in a fit state or she'll slap him!!....and i'm going to Charity Soul's All Dayer to DJ at Kellingley near Pontefract....so will be returning with Pete at 2am and will be off again Sunday morning for up t'norf! I am intending to stay over night....BUT....if ure doing nowt Sunday....i;'m passing Boro' on the way up....alone...and would happily pick you up and take you for the day and we'd return on the evening...late...if you have to return for Monday....otherwise....there is a warm hotel room waiting for you for free and we'd leave the next morning! Let me know mate.....it'd be a pleasure...X

LUV

SOOTY

X

The future of Northern Soul starts with folk like you....X

hi sooty

sounds great, i'd come to the dayer with you. Try to find me at stoke first to say hello, and pm me your number if you want too

Aaron

Social source share

Job done!x U ok to stay on Sunday night at a fellow Soulies hotel? Or need to get back for Monday? I;m easy as I have 2 'free days' before I go away for several 'busy' ones!x

LUV
SOOTY
X

07521042699....text me and i'll call u back....save ure cred........ figured that before mobile fones......hehe!x

@@
~

....it'll be easier to spot me at Kings Hall methinks....think i;m gonna be Santa.....me mate Pete insists!!!!!!x

Social source share

Young Mr Liconshire Soul Boy - Nice sentiment and chose quite a few nice little buzz words but to make a statement like  - i like the sounds that are a bit different from the 'oldies' as too be honest, i can't stand that stuff. Frank wilson...the snake...don't even get me started. I've never liked it, never will - A little dismissive of the rest of the history of NS.  Don't like oldies, cant stand that stuff.  Frank Wilson, Snake - Never liked it - How old are you actually.  Nice to see young kids getting into 'the scene' but a little too much bravado me thinks.  You will immediately alienate yourself from 50% of the 'Scene' ( ballpark figure )

I remember when I was a 'Yorksyoungsoul' - we stood back, listened and learned. Too much emphasis on these young souls as they are now labelled. They need to do their apprenteship's and not fast tracked into the very heart of the business.  

Nothing against young kids being around but there have always been young kids around. It just seems to be the vogue at the moment.

I have the upmost respect for the kids coming through.  We even have older guys and girls discovering the niceties and the not so nice of NS. Welcome them and embrace them but do not put them on a pedestal for others, such as myself, to knock down. May be putting myself out for a beating here but please, lets put it in focus.

I welcome you LincsYoung Soul along with all the other 'Souls' that have entered the couldron of NS - Its a bumpy ride so fasten your seat belt.

......on it Tezza.....!!hehe!!x

@@

~

LUV

SOOTY

X

..Ex Relate Counsellor....ex School Governor....and with over say 400 functions under me belt......i'm sure we'll have time to discuss the finer ponts you;ve raised Tezza on our way up T'norf mate....!!!x

@@

~

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Young Mr Liconshire Soul Boy - Nice sentiment and chose quite a few nice little buzz words but to make a statement like  - i like the sounds that are a bit different from the 'oldies' as too be honest, i can't stand that stuff. Frank wilson...the snake...don't even get me started. I've never liked it, never will - A little dismissive of the rest of the history of NS.  Don't like oldies, cant stand that stuff.  Frank Wilson, Snake - Never liked it - How old are you actually.  Nice to see young kids getting into 'the scene' but a little too much bravado me thinks.  You will immediately alienate yourself from 50% of the 'Scene' ( ballpark figure )

I remember when I was a 'Yorksyoungsoul' - we stood back, listened and learned. Too much emphasis on these young souls as they are now labelled. They need to do their apprenteship's and not fast tracked into the very heart of the business.  

Nothing against young kids being around but there have always been young kids around. It just seems to be the vogue at the moment.

I have the upmost respect for the kids coming through.  We even have older guys and girls discovering the niceties and the not so nice of NS. Welcome them and embrace them but do not put them on a pedestal for others, such as myself, to knock down. May be putting myself out for a beating here but please, lets put it in focus.

I welcome you LincsYoung Soul along with all the other 'Souls' that have entered the couldron of NS - Its a bumpy ride so fasten your seat belt.

Yes I know some new folk who seemed to have quickly 'worked out' what they see as 'cool', and have written off all the Oldies when they didn't know a thing a very short while ago - Bit strange that, but true.

Another 'strange' one - I knew this guy who had a box of pressings that he had accumulated over the years - I loved playing through them at his house......fast forward a year, all of a sudden he's a D.J, and all the pressings (his memories) have disappeared.....people get so confused......

All the best,

Len :thumbsup: 

P.s - I love my Oldies - We're still playing them because they are good!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Another 'strange' one - I knew this guy who had a box of pressings that he had accumulated over the years - I loved playing through them at his house......fast forward a year, all of a sudden he's a D.J, and all the pressings (his memories) have disappeared.....people get so confused......

I know a few of those Len :shhh:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Being only 17 myself, i guess i'm still new to the scene as a whole, some people have been into it for 40 years or so, i'm just scraping the surface of a whole life ahead of new soul music and people to meet. I guess i'm alot different that the kids up at 'Wigan Young Souls' as my parents were never into the music, they were into the rave scene in the 80s. None of my friends were into it and to be honest, i didn't even know it exsisted! I got into The Jam when I was about 10...i found an old CD of it in my dads collection, and decided to listen to it, i didn't know about Paul Weller or 'mod' or anything, I just liked the music. I was listening to The Jam for about 2 years until i heard about The Who by accident...one of their songs 'I Won't Get Fooled Again' was played out in a pud or something once and i loved it! I found out who they were and i bought one of their CD's from Woolworths (can't remember what one now). I dropped that music for about a year and got into my parents music taste; Happy Mondays, Primal Scream, 808 state etc...When i was about 14 i got into The Who again and starting buying their other albums and looking to tours etc, it slowly came apparently that The Jam and The Who, both had the same logo...but it was actually the roundel. From there i got into other mod bands such as The Creation, The Byrds, Secret Affair etc... Through knowing these bands now, i found about about Ska bands aswell, Specials, Bad Manners...so i really got into that aswell.

Northern soul, or, Soul music, was the last thing i found out about, i discovered it by accident when i looking on a page about 'mod music', so i decided to give it a try...I found out about kev roberts top 500 and started listening to them, it didn't click at first, so i tried to found some harder edged sounds, and the first track i fell in love with was called, Fox in a Mini Skirt - Claude & hank Carbo (castle records), which is quite under the radar. Slowly i started to learn about the tunes and started to collect records...this really helped me learn the music and get to learn new music, for me, records are a visual thing aswell as the audio, i find it easier to remember a record from the label, visualising it in my mind. Now I collect mainly r&b and funky stuff...i like the sounds that are a bit different from the 'oldies' as too be honest, i can't stand that stuff. Frank wilson...the snake...don't even get me started. I've never liked it, never will. Now i have a collection of about 400 45's and has become part from everyday life, going to a night on the friday and then an all nighter on the saturday or just a night, and maybe an all dayer on teh sunday if it's nearby, i travel all over england from bristol up to manchester, based in peterborough, i'm pretty much in the centre of everything, and the scene is still good here, no one my age, but that doesn't affect me one bit.

I do anything i can to get money to buy records and go to nighters, I buy and sell everything from stamp collections to clothes to the obvious...records...

so yeah, that's abit about me as a whole....

Aaron

Feel proper old now :) :) brilliant scene the 80s house music before it went mental and dicks wearing illuminous clothing jumped on the ban wagon anyhoo nice post

• Helpful 1
Social source share

It depends on your audience to some extent Len, imagine coming onto soul source extolling the virtues of the snake, generally speaking the person doing the extolling would get slaughtered, so a lot of oldies can get dismissed for no other reason than they're no longer popular. To me that's the wrong reason, dismiss them when you're in the process of moving forward because the boredom has set in through hearing the same records constantly, not because you're told to, it'll come naturally with time. Moral of the story, don't run before you can walk  :thumbsup:

Abso'f*ckin'lutely - Well said that man! :thumbsup: 

Also, they are missing out on so much by doing so.

All the best,

Social source share

Yes I know some new folk who seemed to have quickly 'worked out' what they see as 'cool', and have written off all the Oldies when they didn't know a thing a very short while ago - Bit strange that, but true.

All the best,

P.s - I love my Oldies - We're still playing them because they are good!

Find this a bit odd my self "do I love you " and "the snake",classics really in their day ,and great tunes too ,just that we are sick of hearing em,well that's my thoughts  :huh:

Bazza   :hatsoff2:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Find this a bit odd my self "do I love you " and "the snake",classics really in their day ,and great tunes too ,just that we are sick of hearing em,well that's my thoughts  :huh:

Yes I know this mate, I think you've missed my point - I'm talking about people that are new to the Scene writing off good oldies because they 'some how' see them as old hat - How the f*ck can someone see something as old hat when they have only been on the Scene 5 minutes?

All the best,

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Yes I know this mate, I think you've missed my point - I'm talking about people that are new to the Scene writing off good oldies because they 'some how' see them as old hat - How the f*ck can someone see something as old hat when they have only been on the Scene 5 minutes?

All the best,

I know Len ,I think the same ,perhaps I didn't make myself clear,

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I think that is what Len is saying.  To people coming through they are not overplayed and should therefore be as fresh to them as they were to us but it seems the done thing to pooh pooh them as being shite irrespective of their quality. Or maybe I am loooking at it wrong !

You are correct :wink:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I know Len ,I think the same ,perhaps I didn't make myself clear,

Cool - Don't panic, crossed wires an' all that :wink: 

It does make me angry (apart from the whole world that we now live in) These people are basically doing a 'Carbon copy' of others that have been around for years, and are so missing the point.

All the best,

Len Grrrr! :thumbsup: 

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

I agree to an extent, what you say is a valid point but he does say, amongst other things "i like the sounds that are a bit different from the 'oldies' as too be honest, i can't stand that stuff" A bit of a large blanket to throw. It is a little parculiar to pick out The Snake and DILY (IID ) as examples other than they are the usual suspects in Oldies bashers language.

It is, as Len says, nothing personal against Young Mr Lincs but an attitude that is fast becoming the norm.  It's a little like buying a book and only reading the synopsis.

Watch Lord Of The Rings, good ?  Read the Book as there is a lot more to it than that - can't be arsed ! (Analogy)

No disrespect to the lad ,but strikes me he has been listening to folk instead of listening to the tunes  :yes:

• Helpful 3
Social source share

No disrespect to the lad ,but strikes me he has been listening to folk instead of listening to the tunes  :yes:

As I said, I've met him, and think he's 'on track' ok, despite that one line.

He likes to be different, and I see that as a good thing :wink:

All the best,

Social source share

All the best,

Pass on my best if you see him again Len and please let him know it is nothing personal ( although it does come across such )

• Helpful 1
Social source share

All the best,

Can't agree on this one Len,He might be a good lad and all the rest of it ,but he hasn't got a clue ,sure He will have ,but not yet me thinks

Social source share

Can't agree on this one Len,He might be a good lad and all the rest of it ,but he hasn't got a clue ,sure He will have ,but not yet me thinks

I think he's all ears mate, and will take on board what you have put across - There's definitely worse 'out there' :yes:

All the best,

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Pass on my best if you see him again Len and please let him know it is nothing personal ( although it does come across such )

Will do, and your points are valid - I'm sure he will see them as such.

All the best,

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I think he's all ears mate, and will take on board what you have put across - There's definitely worse 'out there' :yes:

All the best,

Give him credit where credit's due.  He had the gumption to make a statement and to someway qualify the contents.  Perhaps it could have been worded slightly different but was is said cannot be unsaid.   There are a hell of a lot worse out there Len and they are not all in their Teens !!

Edited by Tezza
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

As others have said Mark, taste is one thing, being unduly influenced is another. Do I think at such a tender age it when first embracing the northern soul scene you'd immediately come to the conclusion that The Snake and Do I love you are not for you, I'd see it as very unlikely without input from either those around you or 'The Net forums'. I know it happens, I took instant dislike to The Larue, The Trip, Cochise, just to name three and I'm sure most of us could recount similar tales, but because that was at a similar age to Aaron, I had no access to the internet to sway my opinion. I'm not saying Aaron's taste or opinion is definitely influence guided, just that it's more likely these days because information and opinion is much more readily available  :thumbsup:

Love The Larue ! Ha ha

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I agree to an extent, what you say is a valid point but he does say, amongst other things "i like the sounds that are a bit different from the 'oldies' as too be honest, i can't stand that stuff" A bit of a large blanket to throw. It is a little parculiar to pick out The Snake and DILY (IID ) as examples other than they are the usual suspects in Oldies bashers language.

It is, as Len says, nothing personal against Young Mr Lincs but an attitude that is fast becoming the norm.  It's a little like buying a book and only reading the synopsis.

Watch Lord Of The Rings, good ?  Read the Book as there is a lot more to it than that - can't be arsed ! (Analogy)

I hear what you are saying Tezza.......this thread took me back to when I was a teen and I heard The snake, Cochise and a few others that put me off Northern soul for about 25 years! Had I heard a different set of NS 'classics, ( Del-larks/Eddie Parker for  instance) my soul history may well have been very different.  To use your analogy, the N.S musical synopsis that I had at 17 didn't do it for me..........or perhaps I just wasn't ready...........who knows! I know it took me a couple of attempts to read LOTR but once I got into it, I couldn't put it down and have read it about 4 times and it's the same with soul. :)

Edited by Maark
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

As others have said Mark, taste is one thing, being unduly influenced is another. Do I think at such a tender age it when first embracing the northern soul scene you'd immediately come to the conclusion that The Snake and Do I love you are not for you, I'd see it as very unlikely without input from either those around you or 'The Net forums'. I know it happens, I took instant dislike to The Larue, The Trip, Cochise, just to name three and I'm sure most of us could recount similar tales, but because that was at a similar age to Aaron, I had no access to the internet to sway my opinion. I'm not saying Aaron's taste or opinion is definitely influence guided, just that it's more likely these days because information and opinion is much more readily available  :thumbsup:

You're right Win ,when I first heard cool off didn't get it at all thought it was tripe ,many years later I heard it again.and thought to my self I was wrong I get it now like it  :yes:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

The soul scene is on an uphill climb to the bottom (Very now, as the UK seems on the same path). Maybe a trip to the Backstreet, where we can stand under the street lamp and watch another Sundown in Watts would help?

Social source share

Love The Larue ! Ha ha

I know Tezza, I'm regularly reminded that it's sacrilege that I don't never did like it  :lol:

You're right Win ,when I first heard cool off didn't get it at all thought it was tripe ,many years later I heard it again.and thought to my self I was wrong I get it now like it  :yes:

That's another one I've never liked Baz :)

Social source share

he doesnt come across as one who would be influenced by others to me...maybe not worded too well,could it be that he meant he just prefers rnb and funky edged 60s soul to the more traditional 'northern' sound of a lot of oldies??

dean

That would be a completely different view Dean and one I'd understand much more easily  :thumbsup:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

he doesnt come across as one who would be influenced by others to me...maybe not worded too well,could it be that he meant he just prefers rnb and funky edged 60s soul to the more traditional 'northern' sound of a lot of oldies??

dean

He could have meant all sorts ,but that's not what he said  :(

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!